Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

weds 1/2 day offshore, saturday windy day in flamingo

Late report:

Last weds had a 1/2 day trip with a group of 4 planned to go target the fast paced action in our nearshore waters. The fish didnt disappoint.  We caught a slew of legal yellowrtail snappers, lanes, porgies and red grouper.  Most of the grouper were in the 14-18 inch range with several coming in within 1/16th of an inch, and one right at the button with a pinched tail, but we opted to let it go to grow bigger. A bunch of triggerfish, grunts and other bottom dwellers also joined us for the party.  Several turtles were seen on the run in and out. Got pretty hot out there and it was nice moving from spot to spot. No pics today as I was busy baiting hooks!

The rest fo my trips were pushed back or cancelled with an untimely death in the family, so a trip across the state to Miami to pay our respects for my wifes grandmother. She wanted to spend time with her family, so I planned a day on the water in Flamingo with my good buddy Jr.  
We ran thru the backwater to the shark river area.  The sharks were everywhere... We lost several large snook within feet of the boat due to them. We picked up some legal trout and a couple rat reds thru the day.  The wind and tide were both screaming out on the open gulf side so we opted to work inside.  
We focused on moving water around the points with shade.  We caught a few more small reds along with mangrove snapper and a few more small snook.  We found one point that looked amazing (as does much of the backwaters of Flamingo) and hooked into a decent tarpon. A few good jumps and tailwalks and we boated her.  was nice to see the snook populations rebound after the freeze some 8-9 years ago...  

www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral

Replies

• SerotoninSerotonin Cape CoralPosts: 208 Deckhand
    edited July 2018 #2
    Love the blue in that tail

Just looked up Flamingo on a map and holy crap thats in the middle of no where. 
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,210 Officer
    Good report.....Sorry to hear of the death, Condolences!
    Jason :USA
  • Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 795 Officer
    Matt, its certainly a hike. From the park entrance, the ramp is 55 miles. Then another 30+ mile run out to the shark river area.. had it not been for the strong west winds, we would have pushed on up to the lostmans river area, or out to some really cool rock piles... weather didnt cooperate so it is what it is. Super high tides and a strong outgoing are the exact opposite of what you hope for in Flamingo, so all things considered, was a productive day...  

www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral