Consequences of a flooded bilge?

Graphix GuyGraphix Guy Posts: 23 Greenhorn
edited July 22 in Boating #1
My buddy recently purchased a new 21’ center console. Upon having the 20 hour service on the motor, the bildge filled up completely on the voyage home from marina. He noticed the water only after it was pouring from the speakers on the gunnels. Needless to say, he’s still not sure what happened. No visable cravks in the hull. No loose or pulled hoses. Everything looks ok. We suspect the livewell high-speed pickup is allowing water into the hull, but he’s still not 100%.

We took it out today, got it on plane and there is definitely water coming from somewhere. It’s not pouring in, but there is a slow but steady rise in the bilge water level while on plane. 

The dealer rep and a tech are coming to look at the boat later this week, but my buddy’s main concern is what are the consequences (if any) of bilge full of salt water. The wiring has been submerged, radio speakers exposed, as well as the batteries. My buddy just wants to be sure the dealer replaces or repairs anything that might be compromised and of course fix the problem.  

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• InstaGatorInstaGator Posts: 114 Deckhand
    When you looked in the bilge did you see water coming from anywhere?  Did you close the check Valve from the water pick up?  I would be concerned about what damage might have been done.  Finally, stupid question but was the drain plug in and tight?
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 556 Officer

HUH WHAT?

When you're baffled, you're confused or perplexed. Being baffled is being befuddled, bewildered, confounded, or mixed up. If you're baffled, you can't understand 

We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,438 Captain

HUH WHAT?

When you're baffled, you're confused or perplexed. Being baffled is being befuddled, bewildered, confounded, or mixed up. If you're baffled, you can't understand 

Great post, very helpful 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,902 Captain
    edited July 23 #5

HUH WHAT?

Great post, very helpful 
    You have to admit that he puts in a lot of effort for the nonsensical responses. On the other hand, it all may be above our heads and has a much deeper meaning than what we see at face value.

To the OP, that is a brand new boat and unless there was a gross negligence by the new owner, I would demand new wiring and any other items that were submerged and/or exposed to saltwater in a way they were not supposed to. More importantly, it is a life safety issue that needs to be resolved.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• gmiller0737gmiller0737 Posts: 633 Officer
    What about the Bilge Pump? Did it come on? 
  • Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Posts: 1,188 Officer
    My bet, livewell drain not plumbed if it's only filling bilge at speed. 
    2400 CC Sea Chaser-Yamaha F250-Bad **** Tower (SOLD)
    Grady White 306 Bimini 300 Suzukis
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
  • Graphix GuyGraphix Guy Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    Thanks guys

The float switch never activated so the bilge pump never came on. Once the water was noticed, the pump was turned on manually. This is another part of the issue. 

Safety (of course) is the primary concern, but knowing what needs to be replaced/repaired before talking to the dealer/tech would be helpful. 
  • Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Posts: 1,188 Officer
    Personally, if this is a brand new boat and the fault was the manufacture or dealer, I would be like hard pushing for a new ride. Or have them take it back and release the deal. Everything should be replaced under the floor. Tanks included. 

Just my 2 cents though.
    2400 CC Sea Chaser-Yamaha F250-Bad **** Tower (SOLD)
    Grady White 306 Bimini 300 Suzukis
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 556 Officer

Chlorine is the chemical most often used to keep swimming pools
    and Jacuzzis free of bacteria that can be hazardous to humans.

I wouldn't drink that!

Try it yourself.

We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.
    Well I was gonna share this post with my buddy, but now I'm not so sure he'd find it credible.  :D  
  • shamrock1188shamrock1188 Posts: 272 Deckhand
    Salt will get in to everything anything electrical may work now but years from now will give you trouble over time from corrosion. Same with your fuel tank if it is aluminum and hard to get to. If your tank is plastic then nothing to worry about.
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 407 Deckhand
      Last comment most valid;salt or fresh water.Salt,big problem
    fresh not so much unless continued exposure.Seems to me,
    if new boat,dealer has aproblem!
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,902 Captain
    Unless the dealer is truly on the up and up, I see litigation in the future.
    Good luck with the issue.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,178 Admiral
    I'd take that thing right back and say here you go. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • FlecFlec Posts: 501 Officer
    Me too.  The "deal" is OFF.   Get your money back and the dealer can keep the boat.  Everything that got wet is compromised in my opinion.  Fuel tank,wiring,foam insulation,stringers.  What was the final culprit?
    Flec said:
    Me too.  The "deal" is OFF.   Get your money back and the dealer can keep the boat.  Everything that got wet is compromised in my opinion.  Fuel tank,wiring,foam insulation,stringers.  What was the final culprit?
    Still not sure what happened, I haven't heard back from my buddy yet. I told him I would post the topic here so he could get some opinions from other boaters beforehand. I'll be sure to post back once I know more, Im quite anxious to know myself. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,178 Admiral
    Flec said:
    Still not sure what happened, I haven't heard back from my buddy yet. I told him I would post the topic here so he could get some opinions from other boaters beforehand. I'll be sure to post back once I know more, Im quite anxious to know myself. 
    The Dealer rep and tech are still trying to find a way to blame the buyer and get out of either eating the deal or completely rewiring the entire boat and replacing a bunch of stuff.   Someone screwed up
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • livebaitlivebait Posts: 613 Officer
    if it did it after the 20 hour service what could the dealer had done to make it start taking on water if it wasn't doing it before? kinda baffling.
  • StankBaitStankBait Posts: 338 Deckhand
    The inspections will probably be done without a representative of the owner present. That could be troublesome.
    Perhaps consider getting your insurance company involved.  Boat taking on water.  Also consider independent boat inspection by a certified surveyor then back bill dealer/manufacturer for the inspection
  • swampmonsterswampmonster Posts: 284 Deckhand
    There should be a fuse for the always on bilge pump. Make sure they put it in. Separate breaker for the other switch. 
  • OgruizOgruiz Miami FLPosts: 11 Greenhorn
    Hire an attorney 
  • Jas2Jas2 Posts: 138 Deckhand
    My 24` center console was taking on water in the bilge !   Bilge pump kept kicking on and I could not find the source of the leak !  I finally found the culprit .....the 800 gph baitwell pump had a hairline fracture on the bottom side which was not pouring water in but was a steady stream of water !  Replaced the pump and no more water ....hopefully yours is as easy a fix as mine was !!
    Good luck !!

• BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,049 Officer
    Your buddy could be looking at major problems in the next year or two. You need to have a surveyor look at it. Call his insurance company immediately. Call the bank immediately if he has a loan. Record and document all correspondence and anything that has been done. I would not let them look at it until YOU have determined the problem with YOUR surveyor. They might connect something that was left off and then deny they did anything wrong. I would want a new boat it could turn out that bad.
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 470 Deckhand
    Like Barrell said!
    What was the final outcome?  There should be some resolution by this time.