Home Boating

Best GPS/chartplotter for flats skiff?

fsupiratefsupirate Posts: 22 Greenhorn
I need to replace my Garmin GPSmap 178C gps/chartplotter - It finally quit working after 12 years.  Given that GPS/chartplotter technology has changed a lot in the past 12 years, I'd appreciate any recommendations anyone has as to why brand/model of unit I should buy.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Replies

• 10kman10kman Posts: 610 Officer
      You need to say what you want to spend.
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,152 Officer
    edited July 2018 #3
    Depending where you will be fishing and cost is not a consideration I would purchase any of the units that is compatible with  Marine Tracks.  https://floridamarinetracks.com/
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,255 Officer
    Depending where you will be fishing and cost is not a consideration I would purchase any of the units that is compatible with  Marine Tracks.  https://floridamarinetracks.com/

Agreed!
    Jason :USA
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 556 Officer
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 556 Officer
    It's good like that.

Mustache Petes was the name given to members of the Sicilan Mafia who came to the United States (particularly New York City) as adults in the early 20th century. The younger Sicilian-Americans who later formed the Five Families, unlike the old guardMustache Petes, had made their bones in America.
  • mikenavmikenav Posts: 825 Officer
    I have always been a Raymarine guy. They're very intuitive and easy to use. BUT BUT BUT, I have been playing around with the Simrad Go units and they are pretty cool. They had a sale in June on those units at West Marine in June and I was THIS close to trading out the Raymarine, even though it's only a year old. I think the GO would be great on the flats or around docks. 
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,450 Officer
    I had a 178C for years and loved it too.  I now have a Lowrance and the GPS part sucks.  The sonar is great.  As the others have said if you need a good mapping unit get one that has the best maps and refreshes often and fast.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
    I bought a Lorance once and it was the low end unit I'll admit, this was many years ago wen GPS was new and they didn't even have charts. The GPS just didn't work. The software on the unit was the best I have ever used very easy to navigate and easy to set up and all of that but, the GPS just failed, I sent it back and they said they fixed it, I started using it again and it failed again, I sent it back and they sent me a new unit, it worked for about a month and then quit working too. I finally just gave up and got a Furuno, the software on it sucked but, the thing is still working fine today on the boat after I sold it. I now have a Garmin and again, not real happy with the software, you have to push 10 buttons it seems just to navigate to a waypoint but, it is what it is.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers