Home Boating

Branson Disaster

NitzeyNitzey Posts: 180 Deckhand
Anybody else bothered by this disaster?  17 lives lost on a lake?  I think there are a lot of lessons for all of us.  First thing I look at is the weather.  This storm did not come out of nowhere.  Hazardous conditions were predicted.  Second, when it got rough, why wasn't everyone told to put on life jackets?  Then the boat.  The duck boat should have been made more suitable for carrying passengers on a regular basis.  Hell, it is not a landing craft anymore.  Most boats these days are virtually unsinkable.  The video shows the boat sank when it took on too much water (my interpretation).  This duck boat could have easily been modified to add flotation areas.  And bilge pumps are cheap.  I could go on.

Replies

• LMKLMK Posts: 588 Officer
    Sad & Tragic, should have never gone out.
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer
    they couldn't get out.....looks like the duck was enclosed.
      i'm sure they are inspected vessels and have to be in compliance with Coast Guard demands for that type of vessel..
      I am also sure in 6 months those rules will be strengthen.. 
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,344 Officer
    i have seen them up close in Boston. They only use them there in inland canals and rivers  and on some streets, not on open water. 
    Giimoozaabi
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,344 Officer
    Looks like the duckboats in Boston opened up a site on the bay but they replaced all there original WW 2 boats with replicas in 2015.
    Giimoozaabi
  • NitzeyNitzey Posts: 180 Deckhand
    We went to Ireland last September.  In Dublin there were duck boat cruises but only in the river and canals.  Patrons got to wear Viking helmets while on the duck boats.  No covers on these duck boats.

Not to make light of this.  Today I read an account in the Kansas City Star.  The captain said, when the boat started taking on water, "there are life jackets, but you will not need them."  What a mistake.
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer
    edited July 2018 #7
    there are a lot of different opinions on people using life vests on these ducks because of the canopy over the enclosure....if water rapidly rises , a person would be pinned against the roof ............but as conditions got worse and with no expectation of a rapid sinking , I believe the vests should have been passed out....  
  • shamrock1188shamrock1188 Posts: 272 Deckhand
    They had almost hurricane force winds. Anybody that has boating experience knows how quick the weather can change from flat calm to life threatening weather. The boat ride is sort and they where not far from the ramp. Just a sad tragedy. I would assume when the captain said   "there are life jackets, but you will not need them" is when the passengers  first got on the duck. It is common practice when you first board a boat or ship for hire the captain and crew point out the life jackets. It is a very very rare event when you use them.
    A survivor, a lady Who lost several of her family, said the captain made that statement after the boat was already taking on water. A year ago we went to Thailand  and went on many river boat cruises. We had to wear a life jacket before we got on the boat. I know it is expensive,  but inflatable lifejackets are the perfect answer. 
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
    This seems to happen all too often, the lack of putting on a life jacket when conditions go bad that is.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
    FWC officers, Coast Guard always wear life preservers.  It is a requirement of the job.  My wife always wears one.  Of the two crew on the boat, one died but neither one wore life jackets.