Home General Fishing

Flats setup and reel size for mutton/jack/tarpon/sheepshead?

kangadrewkangadrew Posts: 42 Deckhand
Hello everyone, 

Double whammy questions here. 

First - if you were putting together a flats setup, what specs would you look for? 7', 7'6", 8' rod? 6-12, 8-15, 12-20 lb? 2500, 3000, 4000 reel? I want something that I can use in South Florida for snook fishing in open water (including the gulf beaches) and in the Bahamas for bonefish. What lb braid would you go with - 8, 10, 15, 20, 30? 

Second - I have decided on a 7' 10-20 lb rod for a lot of my inshore fishing, including snapper/sheepshead around pilings, mutton snapper over shallow patch reefs, and snook/small jacks/juvenile tarpon in the mangroves. Line will be 20 lb braid, the reel will be a Daiwa Ballistic LT. Would you get the 2500 or the 3000? 2500 should hold around 180 yards of 20 lb, while the 3000 will get 240 yards. Same drag, the 3000 is a fraction of an ounce heavier - and a little bit bigger physically. There is a J&H video on YouTube that compares the sizes of these reels if anyone is interested. 

Thanks for any help, 
Drew

Replies

• DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 556 Officer

Yeah that one is my favorite! ;)

• 10kman10kman Posts: 677 Officer
      Mt theory is lighter the line and leader the more fish will hit what your 
    offering.Not saying catching but strikes.Second,150 yds.of 14lb.have
    never been spooled once although 120 lb.tarpon got into my backing.
       Much of this HD reels,lines and leaders is sold by the nonsense of
    novice salespeople who preach"Got to be ready for the big one."
  • kangadrewkangadrew Posts: 42 Deckhand
    10kman said:
      Mt theory is lighter the line and leader the more fish will hit what your 
    offering.Not saying catching but strikes.Second,150 yds.of 14lb.have
    never been spooled once although 120 lb.tarpon got into my backing.
       Much of this HD reels,lines and leaders is sold by the nonsense of
    novice salespeople who preach"Got to be ready for the big one."

I agree, I don't typically follow the theory of "being ready for the big one" when fishing inshore. There are some instances when I will follow it (like fishing grouper/cubera/AJ over reefs), but when I'm inshore I won't bother with heavy tackle. My mangrove/dock snook setup will be the 10-20 lb rod with 20 lb braid. My lighter setup will probably be a 2500 Daiwa with anywhere from 8-20 lb braid, that's what I'm trying to figure out in this thread. Will be doing all of my beach snook fishing, plus bonefish on the flats. 

Any thoughts on rod weight/length and braid lb test for beach snook/flats bones? 
    I can understand the lighter line resulting in more strikes, however I don't think it's super important with braid. I think focusing on lighter leader is, but braid not so much. I think it's more for casting distance and capacity that the line pound test matters, JMO. 

Drew
  • FroglizaFrogliza Posts: 36 Deckhand
    I'd do a Daiwa 2500 or 3000 with 10 lb braid. The Daiwa Fuego LT is a really nice inshore reel with a 7' or 7'6" rod

Can you show me what to do?

• kangadrewkangadrew Posts: 42 Deckhand

Can you show me what to do?

??? Not sure what this or the last one has to do with the question...
    The grumpy old guy chased the kids away while they were playing ball in the street.
    The kids came back later on and tossed A block buster under his car and jetted.

• FroglizaFrogliza Posts: 36 Deckhand
    DropTheHammer, do you ever make any sense?
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,935 AG
    Keep in mind that Daiwa reels are slightly larger for their size based on the 2500 3000 etc numbering.....

That said...My new inshore reel is a Daiwa Black Gold SW 2500...good reel so far
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,017 Moderator
    edited July 2018 #11
    Frogliza said:
    DropTheHammer, do you ever make any sense?

I've never seen one of his posts that make sense. 
    Sta·lin·ism
    ˈstäləˌnizəm/
    noun
    1. the ideology and policies adopted by Stalin, based on centralization, totalitarianism, and the pursuit of communism.

Le·nin·ism
    ˈlenənˌizəm/
    noun
    1. Marxism as interpreted and applied by Lenin.

It wasn't me i didn't do it! ;)
  • Kill_It_N_Grill_ItKill_It_N_Grill_It fort lauderdalePosts: 60 Deckhand
    shimano stradic 4000 20lb power pro and for rod choice it depends on how far you want to cast and the action tip of the rod.  personally I like a 7 1/2 ft 8-17 and 10-20 line weight for meatier fish
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,017 Moderator
    Daiwa 2500 BG on a 7'6" med action, fast tip 8-15# rod for flats.  Same reel on a 7' med heavy rod, something like a Calico Jack or Redbone for your second outfit.  You may want to upgrade to the Tatula LT.  T\he Ballistic LT is very good

• cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    Any good quality 3000 or 4000 reel is what I'd recommend. That will be strong enough for most inshore fish. 20# braid. The only thing that needs to changed is the leader size. I've tried a lot of different sizes and have decided to only buy 20 and 40 when my supply runs out. KISS works.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr