Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Everglades city advice

Me and a buddy are going to take my Gheenoe down to Everglades city for the first time just looking for advice and any tips. Looking to fly fish and fishing spinning gear as well. Planning on putting in at the gulf coast visitors center, looks like they have a kayak launch next it. Appreciate any tips whether they be navigational, good baits to use, or just what not to do. Thanks to all

Replies

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,929 Admiral
    Just head straight across the bay to the oyster bars close to the south shore line . Plenty of stuff right there. No real need to leave Chok, bay.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Mr.SnookMr.Snook NaplesPosts: 91 Deckhand
    I'd just double check that the Park Service will allow you to launch a motorized craft from the kayak launch there. If not there are several areas to launch from. that are within a very short boat ride. I'd fish the shoreline in Choko bay all along the mangroves. You can even move down into some of the smaller passes from the bay and fish down towards the Gulf a little just be aware that the tide really starts ripping and slow your progress especially if a storm is approaching. A gheenoe is an almost perfect craft for the area.
  • alaprovaalaprova Posts: 92 Deckhand
    Thanks "Mr.Snook" and "turner river terror" for the advice will post a update on how we did
  • alaprovaalaprova Posts: 92 Deckhand
    Well we didn't run into anything, saw some big redfish but they seemed to see us first. We didn't catch anything good, and let me tell you the tide rips in some places. It was definitely and learning experience, and very humbling. had a good time will definitely have to get down there again hopefully for a long weekend so I can attempts to figure it out a little bit.
  • polliwogpolliwog Posts: 348 Deckhand
    You are beginning a lifetime of learning the everglades.  Everyone learns something new with each trip.  Enjoy the ride.
  • paddleharderpaddleharder Posts: 250 Deckhand
    My son and I fished there once in our canoe. We launched in Choko and paid $5. There were motorized boats also launching there. We followed the tide out to the gulf and rode the incoming tide back into the bay.  We had a lot of hits and saw a lot of wildlife activity. If you don't catch any fish you will have a great time. There is a little diner that we stopped out on the way out for a late lunch that was just down the road from the marina. Have fun can't wait to hear how you did.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,929 Admiral
    Hard place to Sight fish or Flyrod , waters to Tannin unless your out front and the time of the year is right. Jigs tipped with shrimp , Top waters early ,Chunks of Fresh on slow current bends and downed trees.
    Snook and Reds know deep water means Death. Think 5 ft. or less
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 801 Officer
    Hard place to Sight fish or Flyrod , waters to Tannin unless your out front and the time of the year is right. Jigs tipped with shrimp , Top waters early ,Chunks of Fresh on slow current bends and downed trees.
    Snook and Reds know deep water means Death. Think 5 ft. or less
    hahah I everyone is on the menu down there it sounds like!

cool thread I am looking for a little rig to be able to fish the area, nervous about towing something light like that on the interstate though :(:neutral:
    we need more internet money