Favorite Tarpon Rod and Reels

TightlinesBPTightlinesBP Sannibel, FLPosts: 8 Greenhorn
Looking for a new set up for Tarpon inshore stuff around Pine island Sound and Sannibel area wanted to see what everyone likes the best out there
thanks!
Brannon

Replies

• Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,249 Captain

Technically all my rods are tarpon rods. You should base your decision on what you're throwing, not your target species. 
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,281 AG
    Do you prefer spinning or casting?
    Do you prefer spinning or casting?
    The only time I use casting gear is when I'm using plugs over 2oz. My index finger can't handle big plugs and braid on a spinner, and my thumb can't handle light stuff on casting gear (it's fun to watch me try). I use fly tackle when I can, but I have days when I need something else to keep me entertained. If I can feed them a 3oz spook, I enjoy that just as much as the fly stuff.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,690 Captain
    I think tarponator's question was directed towards the original poster...

So what type of reels do you prefer?
    Are you fishing artificials or live bait?  Which type of either?
    What size fish?
    Boat or shore?
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
    kmagnuss said:
    I think tarponator's question was directed towards the original poster...

So what type of reels do you prefer?
    Are you fishing artificials or live bait?  Which type of either?
    What size fish?
    Boat or shore?
      I figured after I posted it, but I was at the movies: )
    edited July 16 #7
    For what it's wroth, 'Caster, I prefer to use a baitcaster in just about any situation outside really windy days and/or baits or lures less than about 1/2 oz -- accuracy above all else for the type of sight fishing I prefer to do with tarpon.  However, it's safe to say I'm an outlier in this regard....but you never know.  Some of you silly people prefer 10' whippy rods and feathers.  ;)

Keith was right, the question was for the OP though.  :)
  • TightlinesBPTightlinesBP Sannibel, FLPosts: 8 Greenhorn
    I like spinning tackle for tarpon.  I have been looking at the Teramar 8" with  either a saragosa 6000 set up or a daiwa saltist, are these decent options? Anyone a Penn fan as well?  Any recommendations are welcome

• Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 2,858 Captain
    I have a saragosa 6000 with a 8ft H teramar. I love it for bigger lures and bait for snook, cobia and other fish. I dont tarpon fish much but I would think it would be a good setup for fish to 25-30lbs or so.
    In my opinion, spinning reels from Shimano, Daiwa, and Penn are all good reels.  It's kind of like Chevy vs Ford vs Jeep.

The Saragosa is a proven tarpon catcher.  So are the Saltists from Daiwa.  People have been using Penn reels to catch tarpon for probably longer than either one of them, and some of their new models are quite nice, although I don't have first hand experience with them myself.

In terms of rods, the Terramar  rods are also a proven tarpon catcher.  St. Croix and Falcon and Loomis also make nice ones.

Your first choice (Saragosa 6k w/Teramar) will work just fine, even for larger tarpon, in most circumstances.....but you might fine tune the setup based on how you fish for tarpon:

For instance, will you be fishing from a boat, kayak, dock, or shore?  What type of technique do you intend on using -- casting crabs or threadfin along the beach, fishing in the pass, throwing artificial -- or are you interested in a more general purpose setup?
  • TightlinesBPTightlinesBP Sannibel, FLPosts: 8 Greenhorn
    I will be fishing from a Hewes Redfisher.  Mostly snook and tarpon and some reds as we run into them as well.  I think i am going to pick up a set up from Penn an 8" Batallion with a spinfisher V 6500 and another Teramar with a saragose 6000 and see which one I like the best, you can never have too much tackle or at least thats what Ive learned from the bass world i have around 20 rods and reels for that gig now.  Most of the fishing we will be doing will be casting crabs or threadfin.  What do yall recommend for snook as well? 7"6 rod size maybe? With what size reel?

• Kill_It_N_Grill_ItKill_It_N_Grill_It fort lauderdalePosts: 43 Greenhorn
    shimano stradic on star rod seagis rods with power pro braid
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,049 Captain
    Get one 8000 instead of two 6000s
  • DazDaz Posts: 82 Greenhorn
    I like spinning tackle for tarpon.  I have been looking at the Teramar 8" with  either a saragosa 6000 set up or a daiwa saltist, are these decent options? Anyone a Penn fan as well?  Any recommendations are welcome

While mainly a fly guy, I do use spinners for tarpon from time to time.  My big **** rigs are a matched set of Saragosa 8000SWs on 8' Teramar  TMSX80XH rods. 
    Daz

Egret 167 c/K
    41' Island Packet cutter