Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Offshore Charter 7/14

Yesterday 4 friends and I met Capt. Dan Medina of Salty Fishing Charters at Pineland ready to see what was in store for us. We boarded the Salty Beast, which really lives up to its name and pushed out to deeper water. On the way out we picked up fresh grunts but had no luck finding squirrels. We set off further west but stopped short of the target spot when Dan saw a nice show while running. We set up and got a few vermilion and lanes and a stud red grouper. After a few drifts there we went deeper and started loading up on nice sized lanes, a few red snapper were coming up and lots of short grouper. We made a few more movrs and finally found a spot to finish our red snapper limit and 2 more keeper red grouper. The lane snapper bite was hot all day with some very nice fish. We also caught 2 porgys and an eel and a small flounder. On the run in we found a floating piece of carpet and stopped to check it out, there was a huge school of mahi that were super aggressive, unfortunately they were all very small. Water was flat calm all day. We saw one water spout with a pop up storm and ran through a decent rain a few miles off shore. We encountered algae blooms in spots around 80ft on the way in and lots of bonito jumping all day. It was a great day with lots of fish caught and sore shoulders by all. If anyone wants to run offshore I highly recommend fishing with Dan. He is extremely knowledgeable about the area and fishery, works hard to puts you on the fish and keeps the day fun with plenty of joking. Thanks for thr great day capt, I now can add red snapper, lanes, vermilion and red grouper to my catch list.

Replies