Hogfish help. Please!

Will be down in the Big Pine area with the kids and wanted to try hogfishing. I know they're mostly a spearfishing species, but have heard you can catch them on hook and line. So....any assistance would be great. Should we try a reef? Go bayside? Tackle suggestions? We're willing to try whatever. Thanks

Here is the area:

Replies

• msk99msk99 Posts: 354 Deckhand
    We've caught them on the reef....flatlining live shrimp was the ticket....40 to 60 fow.
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,958 Captain
    I dont know if you are going to catch hogs flat lining anything unless you have zero current in that depth.  But, a live shrimp is always best for hogs as msk said..  The lower keys have more hogs in shallower from my experience diving lobsters.  Big Pine can be good, Gulf side 12-15 feet, sea fans and live bottom would be my guess.  Lots of small hogs down there though.. However, I have never caught on hook in line in keys, caught plenty off Sarasota area
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,958 Captain
    also, a good hog spearing spot is pretty close tot he center of the map you posted... late in day can be hog heaven around cook1
  • cameron sleepcameron sleep Posts: 528 Officer
    We've caught loads of them on fresh or live shrimp east of Marathon. Used a chicken rig (lead at the bottom, 3 hooks baited above) Anywhere from 40-110 feet showing a bit of structure. Our favorite was 90-110 feet. Usually a good catch of big porgies, margates and occasional keeper mutton and red grouper. Slowly feeding line to keep the lead on bottom and baits near or on bottom works to find their feeding place. Often caught two at a time. If slow current/wind, drifting at outside edge of the reef with same rig will work. Play out line as boat drifts, to lessen movement of bait, if no bites, reel in 20-30 feet and try again.
  • mikeloewmikeloew Posts: 346 Deckhand
    We've caught loads of them on fresh or live shrimp east of Marathon. Used a chicken rig (lead at the bottom, 3 hooks baited above) Anywhere from 40-110 feet showing a bit of structure. Our favorite was 90-110 feet. Usually a good catch of big porgies, margates and occasional keeper mutton and red grouper. Slowly feeding line to keep the lead on bottom and baits near or on bottom works to find their feeding place. Often caught two at a time. If slow current/wind, drifting at outside edge of the reef with same rig will work. Play out line as boat drifts, to lessen movement of bait, if no bites, reel in 20-30 feet and try again.
    Same here with the chicken rig, we have even had a few double headers with this setup. 
    Marathon vacation home for rent

http://www.floridakeyshomeforrent.com/
  • SaltologySaltology Posts: 125 Deckhand
    Remember the new regs on hogs,now have to be 16" instead of 12" and only 1 per person instead of 3
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,702 Captain
    c fans & crabz+live shrimp
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dihrddihrd Posts: 136 Deckhand
    dihrd   Yep two at  a time.
  • mikenavmikenav Posts: 809 Officer
    Awesome!! Thank you guys! Let's see what we can do. 

Thank you again
  • RareRare Posts: 248 Deckhand
    We have caught them with blue crabs when permit fishing.