Fuel tank removal

Bob4Bob4 Posts: 7 Greenhorn
I think I am going to have to change a fuel tank out in a 2006 Sea Hunt 22' BX. I'm in SW Florida and looking for recommendations for someone that might tackle this job.
 Inlet for the fuel sending unit  is bowed badly and the unit itself rotted through. Can't get a new sending unit to sit well enough to keep fuel in never mind vapors. And all the stuff that's probably fallen into the tank kind of seals my decision. 

Replies

• The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,214 Officer
    Is the fuel sending unit the electrical fuel gauge ?  If its just the gauge i would just remove all of it you can and seal it up with some kind of cover. Do you really need a fuel gauge ? i could live without mind.
    Giimoozaabi
  • Bob4Bob4 Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    That may be an option. I can live without mine. Hasn't worked in a very long time. Yamaha computer shows me total used and is always within a gal or so. 
  • Circle-HookCircle-Hook Posts: 487 Deckhand

You are not going to want to hear this- but do you really think the only place the tank is rotten it around the sender?

obivously salt water got to the tank so not really likely the only place with damage is at sender- there is a risk of fuel leaking and getting into foam- that is a hugh deal and boats have been declared "totaled" over that.

- and isn't safety first? 

Oh I got this T-shirt - '79 Mako 235 - both tanks bad - that was a ****-  but she is happy now and we be fishing.