Home Panhandle General Fishing & The Outdoors

Sea state and wind forecast

Hi folks- Kinda at my wits end about figuring out the forecast sea state. I live in GA so I try to plan my fishing trips around the weather forecasts. Complete disaster on opening snapper week this year as far as the choppy seas were concerned. I've got a 18' cc Cape Horn, very capable, but not the biggest boat out there. Anyway, I'm using NOAA panhandle forecast, Windfinder, and weather underground. Usually accurate, but I was wondering if anyone has a good website for actual or predicted sea state based maybe on sea bouys or something else. When I was there last, the tropical storm that came through weeks before still had the water screwed up a bit. Also, is there another good site to see daily fishing reports and sea state? Thanks!

Replies

• fishbitfishbit Posts: 608 Officer
    this one pretty good. You change the date (bottom left) to get future dates and change to "waves". I look at wind more than waves.
    https://www.ventusky.com/?p=32.0;-83.8;5&l=wave
    Nature goes on her way, and all that to us seems an exception is really according to order.
    (Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe)
  • Mr Fat JackMr Fat Jack Posts: 9 Greenhorn
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,237 Moderator
    Take an average of what you read.  Common sense and a hunch also guesa long way.  Last thing I'd recommend is reading NOAA discussion.  It's basically a long version of the two-liner you've been reading.  Grasp half of it and you'll knoe enough of the big picture where you are as informed as the rest of them. 
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • BeckBeck Posts: 2,332 Captain
    Big fan of reefcast...as accurate any I’ve found. 
  • LilOrangeLilOrange Posts: 1,205 Officer

In addition to the ones others have mentioned, I also pull up the local PC TV station (WJHG) website & watch the daily weather forecast.  You can also find a bunch of the beach webcams on the internet.  And, like PH80 said...."average" all of that info together.

As for daily fishing reports.....check out the Panama City Fishing FB page.  A lot of good info can be picked up by following it.

Livin' the Dream !
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,457 AG

Windfinder.com is another good one.

Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes