Dog Problem

13»

Replies

  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 4,003 Captain




    And fact is.... Some dogs will not get along... No matter what you do..... Pyro and Merlin don't get along... They never will and will never be trusted to get along... Both get along with other dogs.
    That's very interesting coming from you. With your experience I thought it was just a training issue from no clue owners like me. We dont have dogs anymore, but we had a cat, then another one. Wife keeps them separated because the older cat goes into death mode when confronting the other cat. PITA
  • JohnnyBanditJohnnyBandit Posts: 8,286 Admiral
    jhedg said:
    Fish Haid said:
    And what would be the correct way to keep one dog from killing the other?  Yelling had no effect.  Just let them fight it out?  I learned years ago what happens when you try to do sperate them by hand.
    I always used a hose direct shot to the face/w some water, ya dont do the separate by hand thing, had a hole bit through my hand when I was younger trying that

    AC Man said:




    And fact is.... Some dogs will not get along... No matter what you do..... Pyro and Merlin don't get along... They never will and will never be trusted to get along... Both get along with other dogs.
    That's very interesting coming from you. With your experience I thought it was just a training issue from no clue owners like me. We dont have dogs anymore, but we had a cat, then another one. Wife keeps them separated because the older cat goes into death mode when confronting the other cat. PITA
    Seems I talked to your son about his dog issues some via the phone a few years back... I have been sick off and on so much the last 5 years it all runs together. Ocala area?

    With dogs it can be and usually is... a combination of things.... Temperament, dynamic, training, etc.

    With Merlin and Pyro.... I CAN walk them on leash together. I can even take them out in the yard together... But add our Labrador Bit ch or my wife... or anyone else to the mix... They are going to fight.
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 2,930 Captain
    I just got them with a shovel If dogs are fighting or being aggressive   have you tried that?
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends President Trump
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 4,003 Captain
    jhedg said:
    Fish Haid said:
    And what would be the correct way to keep one dog from killing the other?  Yelling had no effect.  Just let them fight it out?  I learned years ago what happens when you try to do sperate them by hand.
    I always used a hose direct shot to the face/w some water, ya dont do the separate by hand thing, had a hole bit through my hand when I was younger trying that

    AC Man said:




    And fact is.... Some dogs will not get along... No matter what you do..... Pyro and Merlin don't get along... They never will and will never be trusted to get along... Both get along with other dogs.
    That's very interesting coming from you. With your experience I thought it was just a training issue from no clue owners like me. We dont have dogs anymore, but we had a cat, then another one. Wife keeps them separated because the older cat goes into death mode when confronting the other cat. PITA
    Seems I talked to your son about his dog issues some via the phone a few years back... I have been sick off and on so much the last 5 years it all runs together. Ocala area?

    With dogs it can be and usually is... a combination of things.... Temperament, dynamic, training, etc.

    With Merlin and Pyro.... I CAN walk them on leash together. I can even take them out in the yard together... But add our Labrador Bit ch or my wife... or anyone else to the mix... They are going to fight.
    Yes Johnny. That's him. Still have to be separated. What a pain in the ****. 
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 7,987 Admiral
    edited August 9 #66
    Well, here is the one month update.  The two remaining dogs (old and middle) are both very happy and healthy (physically and mentally).  Things are back to normal.  Funny how you don't notice the slow build-up of behavioral changes until after a problem is suddenly fixed.
    23895.gif
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 6,707 Admiral
    Glad to hear it.

    Captain Todd Approves

  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,615 Admiral

    would have been a decent story if you hadn't killed the other dog 
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 6,707 Admiral
    I didn't see you offering to take it in?

    Captain Todd Approves

  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,412 AG
    I like dogs.  I've had several in my life. I will not have a dog that doesn't listen/obey. Give time and training a chance. Shoot any dog that doesn't listen/obey. Move forward. 

    :wink:



    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • WadeFishermanWadeFisherman Posts: 389 Deckhand
    Gary S said:
    I had a American bull show up here at the house. He was scared of everything. After about a month he settled in and became overprotective of everything. He never was aggressive with me as he took to me, I would talk to him and feed him, made a bed for him. Tried to find him a real home but he was too aggressive. He would not let anyone come around. He would even growl at my wife when she came into the shop. 
     The day he chased the fedex guy back into the truck was the end. I caught the dog by his hind legs going into the truck after the guy, dragged him out and slammed door. Realized dog ran around back side of truck so I went front side and beat him to door.
     Called the pound and had them come and get him. My property is not fenced and there were small kids on both sides of me. I am sure he could have been neutered and with training things could have been worked out. I don't have the patience or the money to do this. I feel for the dog, but that is as far as it goes. I have never regretted my decision.
    American bulldogs are the dumbest, untrustworthy dogs I have encountered. Nice to me one day, would play with it, come back later and it would not recognize me...mentally deranged dogs.
  • WadeFishermanWadeFisherman Posts: 389 Deckhand

    AC Man said:
    My friend has had a pit mix for several years. Quiet family with children. First it killed their cat, then it bit the youngest son, then bit the oldest daughters girlfriend. Has also become food aggressive. 

    He ain't long for this world. Any day now. I say the sooner the better. 

    Couldn't pick a nicer family. Some dogs are just mean.
    AC Man said:
    My friend has had a pit mix for several years. Quiet family with children. First it killed their cat, then it bit the youngest son, then bit the oldest daughters girlfriend. Has also become food aggressive. 

    He ain't long for this world. Any day now. I say the sooner the better. 

    Couldn't pick a nicer family. Some dogs are just mean.
    It is Michael Vick’s fault.
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 834 Officer
    Gary S said:
    I had a American bull show up here at the house. He was scared of everything. After about a month he settled in and became overprotective of everything. He never was aggressive with me as he took to me, I would talk to him and feed him, made a bed for him. Tried to find him a real home but he was too aggressive. He would not let anyone come around. He would even growl at my wife when she came into the shop. 
     The day he chased the fedex guy back into the truck was the end. I caught the dog by his hind legs going into the truck after the guy, dragged him out and slammed door. Realized dog ran around back side of truck so I went front side and beat him to door.
     Called the pound and had them come and get him. My property is not fenced and there were small kids on both sides of me. I am sure he could have been neutered and with training things could have been worked out. I don't have the patience or the money to do this. I feel for the dog, but that is as far as it goes. I have never regretted my decision.
    American bulldogs are the dumbest, untrustworthy dogs I have encountered. Nice to me one day, would play with it, come back later and it would not recognize me...mentally deranged dogs.
    And that is why he no longer lives here.
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 1,383 Officer
    Seems the puppy mills and commercial unscrupulous breeders have created some genetic disorders in dogdom. When breaking up a fight you may have to use the best available tool (shovel) to save another dog or animal. A lot depends on how you we'ld the shovel. Also some dogs can be "deranged" and should be put down like a dog. Over the years I've gotten a little soft and have taken one diagnosed unstable dog to the vet for euthanasia. I stay away from adopting dogs from certain breeds. Dogs are special animals - but they're not people. When we get one, they get vetted, the best of food, training, and become family. But like family, they have to obey the laws. This is a sensitive topic.
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,615 Admiral
    edited August 13 #75
    mplspug said:
    I didn't see you offering to take it in?
    Are we reading the same thread.  Op comes on here on the 2nd and 3rd.  Asks for advice, does not take any of it and a couple of days later has the dog euthanized and post it on the 8th .  Yes I think it could have been a better story and outcome but that's just my opinion.      
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 7,987 Admiral
    Finfinder said:
    mplspug said:
    I didn't see you offering to take it in?
    Are we reading the same thread.  Op comes on here on the 2nd and 3rd.  Asks for advice, does not take any of it and a couple of days later has the dog euthanized and post it on the 8th .  Yes I think it could have been a better story and outcome but that's just my opinion.      

    The only advice offered was to separate them.  That is hardly a useful solution.  Tried the dog pound, but they were full.  Same for Humane Society, and Pet Rescue.  Problem was getting worse by the hour.
    23895.gif
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 1,918 Moderator
    Fish Haid said:
    Finfinder said:
    mplspug said:
    I didn't see you offering to take it in?
    Are we reading the same thread.  Op comes on here on the 2nd and 3rd.  Asks for advice, does not take any of it and a couple of days later has the dog euthanized and post it on the 8th .  Yes I think it could have been a better story and outcome but that's just my opinion.      

    The only advice offered was to separate them.  That is hardly a useful solution.  Tried the dog pound, but they were full.  Same for Humane Society, and Pet Rescue.  Problem was getting worse by the hour.
    You did the right thing,.
    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

    Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,615 Admiral
    edited August 13 #78
    Fish Haid said:
    Finfinder said:
    mplspug said:
    I didn't see you offering to take it in?
    Are we reading the same thread.  Op comes on here on the 2nd and 3rd.  Asks for advice, does not take any of it and a couple of days later has the dog euthanized and post it on the 8th .  Yes I think it could have been a better story and outcome but that's just my opinion.      

    The only advice offered was to separate them.  That is hardly a useful solution.  Tried the dog pound, but they were full.  Same for Humane Society, and Pet Rescue.  Problem was getting worse by the hour.

      You posted the story here on the internet for advice or a reaction or affirmation of your decision.  You did what you needed to do it’s your right.   Based on what you posted here I think you were quick on the draw and wanted a fast resolution.  I feel like a different outcome could have happened.  That's just my opinion you don't t have to defend your decision with me, you got all the comments, agrees, and likes in this thread you needed or were looking for.    


  • PolarPolar Lake WorthPosts: 22,283 AG
    Have you ever tried dressing one of them up like a taco? 
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 6,707 Admiral
    Hotdog.  It's punny.

    Captain Todd Approves

  • frankfrank Posts: 12,957 AG
    he(?) does not look amused 
    No political signature
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 6,707 Admiral
    He was only amused when food was involved. 

    Captain Todd Approves

13»
Sign In or Register to comment.