how tight should my drag be?

DaniaBeachDaniaBeach Posts: 5 Greenhorn
headed out to juno pier today (second time ever snook fishing off a pier)  and the bite was super slow, extremely clear water. was fishing a dead sand perch on bottom at the end of the pier and got picked up by probably a 37-40 inch fish, easily my PB, and got absolutely destroyed. 80lb leader to 60lb mono mainline and the fish wrapped me around a piling within 30 seconds and broke my leader. I am now thinking my drag is too loose as a bunch of yt videos said it should be locked (using a 4/0 senator) and my drag when i was fishing was somewhat tough to pull but could have been tighter. Should I completely lock my drag? Only worried about doing this because I've heard of drag systems failing when locked.

Replies

• Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,222 Officer
    Al a rule of thumb the drag setting should be 1/4 to 1/3 of the line test.  20 lbs of drag is really tough on the angler.
  • Kill_It_N_Grill_ItKill_It_N_Grill_It fort lauderdalePosts: 60 Greenhorn
    if you were to opt to a spinning reel over conventional senator you are able to use more drag to your liking.   3 top ones for this type of fishing is Penn Spinfisher, Penn Slammer3 and Shimano saragosa.  also you should entice the idea to switch to a braided main line.
  • Diego_sosaaDiego_sosaa Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    just about every juno pier rat brings all his avets and van stalls personaly i would just use what i already have and a locked down drag and if it breaks it breaks
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 556 Officer
    I'm just some guy that walked on and paid his fair. I'm the guy with the yellow fin and Elmer Fud hat!

50 pound mono and strike is set at 15 pounds.

We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.
  • DaniaBeachDaniaBeach Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    just about every juno pier rat brings all his avets and van stalls personaly i would just use what i already have and a locked down drag and if it breaks it breaks
    ya ik im fishing locked drag from now on anyway, saw some dude with a staal who didnt know how to cast bailless. these kids just use them because they look cool
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 556 Officer

You can tune a A piano but you can't tuna fish ;)

We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.