Any one catching Red Snapper??

Has any one been catching red snapper lately? The only ones I can find are barely legal. 

My usual spots that had 30+ inchers on them 9 months ago or so are not there. I can see a bunch of fish down there on the simrad but nothing is wanting to bite at my old hot spot, which is in 145-150 FOW.

Are you guys catching them further out? and if so what depth.  Have a venice trip planned for sat and sun and would like to get on some.

Replies

• Firetruck1Firetruck1 Posts: 125 Deckhand
    Bite has been 160-170
  • teamfiveteamfive Posts: 84 Greenhorn
    I was down last week , never made it past 85 ft, got some nice red groupers  to 28 inches, nice mangs to 20, and on Monday a school of about 100 little mahi joined the chum slick mostly under 12 inches.
  • Silver BulletSilver Bullet Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    I’ve been finding them in 130 to 150 along with nice RG and BFT.
  • csheridan6159csheridan6159 Posts: 87 Greenhorn
    Thanks guys! How Big were the BFT Silver Bullet? I did see a ton oif bonita and what looked like small blackfins last sat busting everywhere.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,794 Admiral
    You mean Mangroves?   Or lanes?  Or Mutton?  Never heard of a "Red" snapper before 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    You mean Mangroves?   Or lanes?  Or Mutton?  Never heard of a "Red" snapper before 
    I think you are messing with me haha. Red Snapper. AKA. American Red Snapper??

http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/profiles/saltwater/snapper/red-snapper/
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,794 Admiral

I know I know i was just going by the FWC's premise they don't really exist :D 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Silver BulletSilver Bullet Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Thanks guys! How Big were the BFT Silver Bullet? I did see a ton oif bonita and what looked like small blackfins last sat busting everywhere.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,888 Captain
    I haven't been seeing as many Red Snapper the last few weeks

I know I know i was just going by the FWC's premise they don't really exist :D 
    I gotcha  ;)

Silver Bullet said:
    Thats a heck of a black fin! What did you catch it on?
  • nhkevnhkev Posts: 41 Greenhorn
    I don't think my boat is big enough to attempt it ( 23 foot- 250hp- 65 gallon fuel tank)  but "if"  I wanted to …… if I were to leave boca grande pass traveling at 25 knots.  how long (hours) would I have to travel to hit 170 feet depths?
  • Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 655 Officer
    nhkev- you dont have the range to do it safely...  your looking at a 55 to 60 mile run one way
    www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral
    the red snapper numbers are def not as thick or plentiful as they were at the beginning of the season. 
  • showstoppershowstopper Posts: 36 Greenhorn
    You might be over running them. Last week and a half pretty good ones --7 to 8 lbs -- have been in 95 to 110 ft.  Not so much at 160 right now, for me anyway.
    You might be over running them. Last week and a half pretty good ones --7 to 8 lbs -- have been in 95 to 110 ft.  Not so much at 160 right now, for me anyway.
    Thanks Ill give it a shot this weekend. Where did you go out of showstopper?
    nhkev said:
    I don't think my boat is big enough to attempt it ( 23 foot- 250hp- 65 gallon fuel tank)  but "if"  I wanted to …… if I were to leave boca grande pass traveling at 25 knots.  how long (hours) would I have to travel to hit 170 feet depths?
    That wouldn't be smart
    c. sheridan--Out of Boca Grande Pass.  Went yesterday --Friday 13 th-- and had a limit of 6.  Again--not huge fish, but mostly 110 ft.
    Most I saw on a boat today was 2
    Had a limit today out of Venice. 12 ARS in 135ft, 9 red grouper and 1 nice Mang.....6 guys fishing.
    ARS all between 17-24 inches. Most were 17-19 ans 3 were over 20
    C. Sheridan-- Where do you fish from.  E mail me at [email protected] if you wish. 
    I spend nearly 10 hrs out there today and didn't see one, though I did see a lot of nice Red Grouper
    looks like my red snapper season is all but over... had a death in the family so my late week trips are a no go... catch em up boys!
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,741 Captain
    Limited out on some giants this weekend in the Dry Tortugas.  Not exactly SW FL specific but my goodness was the fishing good... both days.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • SerotoninSerotonin Cape CoralPosts: 152 Deckhand
    Sorry to hear that Dan
  • ccriderccrider Posts: 522 Officer
    kmagnuss said:
    Limited out on some giants this weekend in the Dry Tortugas.  Not exactly SW FL specific but my goodness was the fishing good... both days.
    Nice, I love the D.T's, used to go a few times a year until life, wife, and kids got in the way...lol.