Are my Costa del Mars Authentic?

Hi guys,I recently got my bday gift,a pair if costa del mar blackfins 580G.My wife decided to get me a pair of new ones because I have 2 pairs of the old 400s.So she asked me to do research and choose the ones I liked.I ended up with these and the best price I found locally(not Internet) was at El Capitain fishing supply.i love the way they look but when I put them on I really can't tell the difference between the 400 and the 580.I got them in blue mirror .used them on the water yesterday and spoke to someone that was wearing the 580 grey lense,I tried his on and I can tell that everything looks brighter and more blue(we were offshore on the Gulfstream).Mine look as if they only block the sun and are polarized but pretty much what any cheap pair of glasses do.Also today I stood outside switching between my 400 and the new 580 and the 400s have almost like a brighter yellow feel to them.so my question is are mine authentic or knockoffs?I don't think that el Capitain fishing supply would jeopardize their good reputation selling knockoffs!!!!the inside of the frame say the patent # and the other leg says made in Taiwan

Replies

• J BoneJ Bone Posts: 170 Deckhand
    IMO It's probably just the blue mirror tint compared to the grey lenses you tried. The blue is best when used offshore in blue water, the grey is more of an all around lens and is best for on land. When I am in the car or just outside I use the grey tint but when on the water I switch to the blue. Iv'e got a pair of Costa 580G blue tint that I love on the water or the beach, just not when driving or anything else because of the weight of the frames.
  • ultraplayer26ultraplayer26 Posts: 814 Officer
    hymmm...Sounds like costa used different frames for the real tree design.
    Hi guys,I recently got my bday gift,a pair if costa del mar blackfins 580G.My wife decided to get me a pair of new ones because I have 2 pairs of the old 400s.So she asked me to do research and choose the ones I liked.I ended up with these and the best price I found locally(not Internet) was at El Capitain fishing supply.i love the way they look but when I put them on I really can't tell the difference between the 400 and the 580.I got them in blue mirror .used them on the water yesterday and spoke to someone that was wearing the 580 grey lense,I tried his on and I can tell that everything looks brighter and more blue(we were offshore on the Gulfstream).Mine look as if they only block the sun and are polarized but pretty much what any cheap pair of glasses do.Also today I stood outside switching between my 400 and the new 580 and the 400s have almost like a brighter yellow feel to them.so my question is are mine authentic or knockoffs?I don't think that el Capitain fishing supply would jeopardize their good reputation selling knockoffs!!!!the inside of the frame say the patent # and the other leg says made in Taiwan

Dude I have some bad new for you yours seem to be fake..i just looked at my co workers and mines and on the left leg it says the model and lens number under the patent number does yours have that? Because I cant see that on the pic you provided.
  • bite my baitbite my bait Posts: 459 Deckhand
    Yes it does but because of the real tree finish the lettering is beginning to fade away...the frames feel like the design is made up of like a silky film,so I guess the lettering/patent numbers don't stay on too well.
  • lifegoesonlifegoeson Posts: 337 Officer
    There real, now you know you prefer the other lenses. The darker lenses help with reducing the glare, however some people don't like to go to dark.
  • fireMARTINmedicfireMARTINmedic Posts: 111 Deckhand
    Unfortunately Costa has gone extremely downhill with their product quality. Since they went to China or Taiwan to produce their product cheaper, the quality of their frames and lenses are not the same. Just Curious.. How many people would reply on this thread on how long they have been using Costa Del Mar sunglasses, and how many pairs they owned that had de-laminated LENS or frames bubbling and peeling after only a month or so. They have a decent return policy but usually takes more than a few weeks to get them back..

After owning about 10 pairs in the last 7 years I am done with them. I am now with Maui Jim and their product is MUCH better. I'm not a rep or a salesman, just a Firefighter who enjoys the outdoors and a good pair of sunglasses.

Mass producers offshore tend to get jobs from the US and then sell the ideas to other mass producers offshore and essentially steal their ideas and sell them for half the price. Could there be a cheaper brand of fake Costas?
  • JI SnookJI Snook Posts: 676 Officer
    Smith Optics is also an option to Costa del Mar.
  • UkintheusaUkintheusa Posts: 80 Deckhand
    With mine on i cannot read an ipad screen, might be a good test. If you can read an ipad screen, perhaps they are fake

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Yes it does but because of the real tree finish the lettering is beginning to fade away...the frames feel like the design is made up of like a silky film,so I guess the lettering/patent numbers don't stay on too well.

If letters are fading away most likely they are fake. I have a pair thats 5 years old and still intact. The only quality issue I've seen with costa latley is the frame legs tend to be more flexible than before.And the rubber nose piece and rubber around frame tends to fall or peel off in certain areas. But costa is pretty good about repairing them just got a pair back from repair center. Ship those to costa for repair and see what they say..
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    On my Costas, (ones I got directly from Costa) The word "COSTA" is imprinted on, Not painted on.
  • lisawelchlisawelch GuelphPosts: 1 Greenhorn
    Mine are from my eye doctor...the word costa is imprinted and raised not just stamped on the right arm and the 580p is etched at top corner of right lense. They are copper lenses and make everything brighter especially reds but block the sun at the same time. Wore them to the BVI's great for sailing.
  • miamihurricane34miamihurricane34 Posts: 129 Deckhand
    It is hard to tell, I have the newer version of the same pair, mine don't say Taiwan on them.  Your pair has the rubber that goes around the bottom of the frame up to the nose piece in one whole piece.  These suck, I have had 3 pairs all where this rubber has pulled off.  The ones I have now are the Costa replacement.  If you have this happen show it to the guys at the boat show.  They told me it was a manufacturers defect and gave me a card to ship in with my glasses so they would be replaced at no charge (usually they charge something like $11 shipping for a warranty repair). 

• EarthmoverEarthmover Posts: 270 Deckhand
    I just got these back from Costa   about 6 months this ago.   These are replacement arms from costa.
  • bonebone Posts: 1,067 Officer
    The only difference between a $25 pair of Igogs and costas is about a $150 and the costas scratch easier. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,811 Admiral
    I liked the $20 "Joakleys" back in the day we would buy from the flea market.   They lasted as long as the expensive ones 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.