Where the snook at?

This is probably a dumb question but I have been on two different beaches(South Lido Key and Turtle beach on Siesta) and have not seen any snook and have only caught lizardfish. Anyone know of beaches where I can find snook? I'm in the Venice/Sarasota area. 

Replies

• NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 515 Officer
    Im a little further south, but hit the beaches as the sun rises and fish the first trough, the snook should be there, especially near a pass. Also fish the passes on an outgoing tide for best success.
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,475 Officer
    Turtle is usually good to me. What tides you going on?
  • HOOKED BY NATUREHOOKED BY NATURE Posts: 2 Greenhorn
  • HOOKED BY NATUREHOOKED BY NATURE Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Live in O'ville

Spent the week of the 4th in Sanibel. Water was pretty void of life. No bait to speak of (saw a few schools of finger mullet 1 day running south and saw a couple of permit surfing the waves and a 3 snook all week. Got this one on a live pin in 1st slough last Thursday. Water was very weedy and green. Intercoastal was pretty brown from all the fresh water dumped recently.
  • FroglizaFrogliza Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    edited July 9 #6
    Turtle is usually good to me. What tides you going on?
    It was incoming tide at turtle I believe but I wasn't there too early I was there at 9:00
    There were a few greenbacks around. I caught a huuge greenback with my castnet.
    Nice snook HOOKED BY NATURE! I think I may try Casperson beach because I always find a lot of different fish there but I haven't gone there in a bit because last week, the water was murky brown with dead fish(including snook) all over the beach. I'll see if it's still bad over there
  • Bottom KnockerBottom Knocker PUNTA GORDAPosts: 28 Greenhorn
    Chartered out of Stump Pass Marina Monday. in the AM a bunch of big snook behind the boat (not floating :)  )
    In the PM MANY BIG GIRLS waiting for handouts...
    I fished the Venice jetties and caught 2 snook and probably had 10 swipe at my lure and missed. Is there a better way to get hooked or are snook just lousy predators?
  • Diego_sosaaDiego_sosaa Posts: 65 Greenhorn
    Frogliza said:
    I fished the Venice jetties and caught 2 snook and probably had 10 swipe at my lure and missed. Is there a better way to get hooked or are snook just lousy predators?
    depends on what you were throwing if i'm throwing a large bait for snook 6 1/2 inch plus sometimes the 20inchers miss it but im not after them anyways
    Frogliza said:
    depends on what you were throwing if i'm throwing a large bait for snook 6 1/2 inch plus sometimes the 20inchers miss it but im not after them anyways
    I was throwing 4" Z man Diesel Minnowz and the snook were all at least 20-22 inches.
  • Diego_sosaaDiego_sosaa Posts: 65 Greenhorn
    Frogliza said:
    Frogliza said:
    I was throwing 4" Z man Diesel Minnowz and the snook were all at least 20-22 inches.
    unless it was weedless you should have caught them i would have thrown a yo zuri jerkbait or xrap for the treble hook on the back
  • albacizedalbacized Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    Frogliza said:
    I'm actually back in Massachusetts now - but I was also catching snook from the jetty during the same evening (the same day that T Storm looked like it was going to roll over us, but sat stationary just east of us. I ended up with 3, plus a snap off, as well as the same numerous swipes as you experienced (had them hitting small 'ghost' colored x raps). I may have seen you further up inside the channel from where I was standing....

I did better the next day (the 12th) inside the ICW, on the Nokomis side...nothing big but got seven in about an hour and a half of fishing...I was fly fishing at that said location
    In fact, it was sort of a home and away fishing vacation where I spent 4 days visiting my mom down there while getting in a fair amount of fishing, and 5 days striper fishing back home (which was slow)...numbers wise, snook won out over stripers 10 to 6, and the stripers were on the small side (the spring run of big numbers of schoolie bass is over and it gets sluggish here during mid summer...)

• DES51DES51 Posts: 85 Greenhorn
    I'll be leaving for MA on the 24th. Staying in Plymouth. I will have to stop by the canal and check out the show!  
    edited July 18 #16

Best of luck - make sure you dress appropriately (as in metal armor) if you did swing by the canal...especially if you hit the east end (from either the Sandwich or Sagamore side)...With the word of big fish being out comes the waves of crowds from anywhere within a 6 hour driving radius (including NY/NJ folks)

If you've seen pics of fishermen lined up along the salmon river in upstate NY, expect to see a scene like that...LOL

I don't fish mornings there anymore and will only do a night shift during the week. Last year, during the middle of one of the hot bites, I was undecided what to do. So I threw a canal rod in my car as well as an albie rod and figured I'd decide on the way down from Framingham (a little more than an hour drive to the cape). At 4 AM, I approached the canal and was driving by the herring run parking lot - it looked like the parking lot at the mall during Christmas season...even with several police cars and all. Needless to say, I just stayed on the road, crossed the bridge and headed out to some of my albies spots, to which I had a very good day:-)

• Bottom KnockerBottom Knocker PUNTA GORDAPosts: 28 Greenhorn
    I miss rockfish/striped bass.. Thanks for the pic albacized. Kind of like snook but dont jump...
  • DES51DES51 Posts: 85 Greenhorn
    Albacized -  If the E.P.O's would make their presence known that would really thin out the crowd!  lol