Venice - coming down for snook

Will be down on Tuesday, and have been hearing about the red tide in the area (read other threads on the matter). Talked to a shop yesterday who confirmed they've been battling patching bouts of red tide but said the fishing has been hanging in there. Can anyone offer an update? I mostly fish the inlet (more so south jetty but sometime the north jetty) and will be fly fishing when room allows and spin fishing when it gets crowded (around sunset)...Mostly looking for snook (yes, I know the season is closed, but I catch and release regardless), but will be happy with most anything that classifies as a light tackle game fish

Thanks in advance

Replies

• joekat46joekat46 North PortPosts: 1,922 Captain
    Seems to be changing by the hour.  Bookmark the Mote Marine beach conditions site.  Best info.  Good luck.
  • albacizedalbacized Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    Thanks a lot - Fortunately I do have the flexibility to remain mobile. My mom lived in the area for a number of years, but just moved south down to North Fort Myers. However, my trip down this time around is too short for me to explore the area where she is now...and I won't mind the ride back up to Venice (heck, here at home, I often make the ride several times a week from Framingham, MA to various points on Cape Cod and Rhode Island - even more so when bonito and false albacore show up in September)

But if forced to, I will look to points closer to North Fort Myers, including Sanibel - anywhere where shore fishing is doable...She's not all that far from Matlacha, but I'm having problems finding shore bound spots in that area...Sanibel and the causeway heading out to Sanibel look like options...I even have further back up plans if things get really nasty, to head east on Rt 80 and fish Juno Beach, but we want to avoid that:-)

• Capt BCapt B Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    Red tide is patchy  but from the caloosahatchee to sanibel, and now off the ft myers beach blue green algae is everywhere. I don't know how far it is spreading but with continued discharges from Lake O where it originated I am imagine it's only going to spread. Good luck
  • Hobbs28midsouthHobbs28midsouth Posts: 67 Greenhorn
    I will be down on sanibel Thursday I will let you know what I see when I get there
    Appreciate that -  thanks
     My back up is to head to the east coast as well
    Are you from that area of FL or coming in from elsewhere (like I am)?
    Indiana 

Ah - good luck down there
  • sixstring09sixstring09 Posts: 38 Greenhorn
    I was on the Venice pier yesterday afternoon and the waterline to 100 yards out was neon green with a lot of dead black seagrass (or what looked like) yet people were splashing around in it.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 18,800 AG
     My back up is to head to the east coast as well
    They will resume letting lake O water out the St Lucie river this Monday.... there are algae problems there on the East coast too. 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • YGAYGA Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    joekat46 said:
    Seems to be changing by the hour.  Bookmark the Mote Marine beach conditions site.  Best info.  Good luck.
    That's absolutely not true, Mote Marine are liars and have accomplished nothing except spending state tax dollars on researching ways to "mitigate" and lessen the effects of red tide, doing ZERO to raise awareness on the proven link between nutrient-rich freshwater discharges from Lake O (which the state government is responsible for, same people that fund Mote) and longer and more intense red tide blooms that ravage the wildlife and get worse every year. Anyone who looks at what's going on and says, "It's a natural phenomenon" is either ignorant on the take
  • FroglizaFrogliza Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    YGA said:
    joekat46 said:
    That's absolutely not true, Mote Marine are liars and have accomplished nothing except spending state tax dollars on researching ways to "mitigate" and lessen the effects of red tide, doing ZERO to raise awareness on the proven link between nutrient-rich freshwater discharges from Lake O (which the state government is responsible for, same people that fund Mote) and longer and more intense red tide blooms that ravage the wildlife and get worse every year. Anyone who looks at what's going on and says, "It's a natural phenomenon" is either ignorant on the take
    Mote has planted over 20,000 new corals into the depleting coral reefs in the keys, they are the second leader in bringing back our reefs. And red tides have been happening in Florida since the 1800's, they don't happen near shore they happen far offshore and move inland.
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 564 Officer
    What frogzilla said!!!!''
    >>> And red tides have been happening in Florida since the 1800's....

But the antifreeze colored neon green water hasn't. That's the problem.
    Here is the Calusahatchee River (left) flowing into the Gulf of Mexico (right) at Sanibel Island. Do you honestly think this was around in the 1800's?? Really???

Well I don't know if that is what it looked like as I was not alive then. But what I'm saying is that Mote does a lot more than stuff on red tide.
    @albacized were you fly fishing the south jetty this afternoon? I believe I saw you if you were. Earlier in the day during the outgoing tide I caught 2 snook and had around 10 misses. They were mainly feeding on the floating pass crabs. I think topwater may have worked well then.
  • teamfiveteamfive Posts: 84 Greenhorn
    I fished offshore all last week until Monday , I’ve seen a slick of red tide out 7 miles , Sunday my boy walked the beach . It was decent and seen snook . On Monday when I boated out and came back the water looked nasty. I can tell you where to get snook pm me
    Frogliza said:
    @albacized were you fly fishing the south jetty this afternoon? I believe I saw you if you were. Earlier in the day during the outgoing tide I caught 2 snook and had around 10 misses. They were mainly feeding on the floating pass crabs. I think topwater may have worked well then.
    That was me - I only managed a few passing spanish macs out there (small ones at that). I put down the fly rod and headed further up the jetty to near the parking lot and under the lights (the sunset watchers were out and there was no way to fly fish). I picked up three small snook on rapala x raps...I did get some snook on the fly the next day back in the ICW, over in Nokomis. (I added pics in your 'where the snook at' thread)...glad a couple of us were catching a few snook...I'm back in MA and fished for several more days, with a slow pick of small schoolie sized stripers. The cape cod canal supposedly has some big fish, but has been so overrun by folks who got word of the good bite, it's unfishable. I won't go near it