A lot of late fishing reports for the spring/early summer...

I'll start off with the boat. Mid to late last summer I finally picked up a 2007 Blazer Bay from a buddy of mine in Panama City. They were big on cobia fishing the beach and I was torn on the tower but it would seem that it's growing on me (more later...)

We fished a bit last summer when it was too hot but I ended up in hunting mode and not doing nearly enough fishing last fall. This spring, after turkey season (of course), Mason and I (along with some other forum members and friends) have started getting a lot more water time.

Spring started off with ducknfish a bit further south since he's in Gainesville these days. Sadly, as life would have it, we don't see each other nearly nearly as much as we should. But we've managed to ensure we're fishing together a bit and there's more to come (night time mangrove trip and our end of August/first of September Elk trip to Colorado this fall). The plans were cobia, mangroves, and maybe some snook as a distant possibility. Well, the cobia cooperated the day!

Then we moved back closer to home and did a bit of fishing around here with just me and the little man after turkey season. We've caught a few here and there and put a flounder, mangrove, some sea bass and assorted other 'throw back' species over the side on a few different trips.

Masons first grouper - he didn't want to hold it himself but rather use my phone to take the picture

Pulled this little guy off a 7' tiger shark that decided to come visit (and was less than a mile from the bird rack ;)  )

We've since started fishing with another long lost forum member - TeamOutlaw. We've hunted together off and on for nearly 10 years. We've gotten progressively worse with our turkey hunting and have been to KS and KY together but now but we've started fishing together this year too. Always a good time hunting and fishing with him.

He caught the first triple tail I've even seen in person and the first to come over the side of the new boat.

We also landed, and lost, quite a few nice trout that day. Biggest we caught was 24". The rest were 17-19".

Sadly it had been 2 years since I have last been offshore...until this year. My buddy's family who I bought my blazer from has turned around and bought a 23T Bluewater. Quite a nice ride. They had a spot open a few weeks back to run offshore and I couldn't pass it up. A good thing too - not a huge box of fish but some really nice fish. NOAA really missed the forecast that morning as it WAS NOT 1-2'. But the 23T Bluewater handled it surprisingly well!

22lb Gag

Unknown weight nice red grouper

My buddy's nice ARS

The day's box

Replies

• omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,118 Captain
    I would like to think that I made a mistake running out on the 4th of July. We got to the ramp early, 3rd boat, with intentions of a quick cobia/triple tail trip but the weather made the decision for us that it was not a cobia sort of day. It was pretty windy for my boat and I wasn't venturing as far as I wanted to with the little man and a buddy who was fishing the salt for the first time on the boat. I decided we'd just look for a quick triple tail or 2 and then head in early. We got lucky and found one TT pretty quick that morning after making bait. I've still not caught one and we're about 1 for 2 each time we've went looking for them - guess 50% success rate sight fishing them is pretty good...

Little man's first triple tail

We couldn't get the second to bite for anything no matter what we presented it with. It's been noted and marked for later fishing this coming Friday! ;)

Now we're getting to the more recent trip. After not fishing the deep water enough these past two years I was talking with Dad and he's got a friend in Horseshoe Beach that would run us offshore. So I gathered a crew of 6, that unfortunately turned to 5 last minute, for what ended up being my first trip to the Middle Grounds. We headed out this past Saturday around 6:45AM and were fishing just after 9AM. ARS galore started coming over the side of the boat and we were trying to be a bit picky and ended up being 2 short (threw back plenty of keepers looking for something 24"+).  I'm going to apologize ahead of time for the picture quality - not the best and quite grainy for whatever reason...

I broke my Star Paraflex on a 15ish lb red grouper

Dad and I with a nice ARS he caught on a jig

ducknfish with his 18lb (per the boga grip) ARS

Our take for the day

Finally, my freezer is no longer completely empty of fish!

Stay tuned, more to come...
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 1,258 Moderator
    A great report foo. Little man is knocking it out.

Good to hear TeamOutlaw is getting out and ducknfish. Hope they stick their nose in occasionally.

Those are 2 very nice cobia.
    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,288 Captain
    Good Dill. Great report
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,644 Captain
    Wonderful!  Glad you're putting some hours on the boat.  Nothing like fishing with your son(s) either!
    Proverbs 13:3
  • LMKLMK Posts: 549 Officer
    Very Nice
    Thanks for that report!!!!
  • CranfieldCranfield Posts: 1,299 Officer
    You have been a busy chap and I can understand the difficulty in combining hunting with fishing, especially where travelling is involved.
    Very nice pics.
  • brotherinlawbrotherinlaw Posts: 2,828 Captain
    Very nice!!
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 1,258 Moderator
    Your buddy's ARS is huge. What did that weigh? 25-30 lbs?
    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 2,931 Captain
    Killin it dude!
    great report and glad to see
    The ducknfish again.
    God, save the South!
  • The MelManThe MelMan Posts: 3,616 Captain
    Thanks for the pics, Good Job!!
    2012-2013 FloridaSportsman BCS Bowl Poll Champion

Northwest Nascar Champion 2012, 2017

"2011-2012 BCS Bowl Poll Champion".
  • omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,118 Captain
    Your buddy's ARS is huge. What did that weigh? 25-30 lbs?
    He's holding it out so it's not as big as you'd think ;) I'd guess maybe 14-15lbs at most. I didn't think ducknfish's was but about 14 and the bogas read 18, so what do I know. A 25-30lb red snapper is a really L-O-N-G fish. I've seen pictures of a 26 and my buddy from Panama City said they caught a 27 last year. Those are just massive looking fish.
  • JTRJTR Posts: 963 Officer
    Those are some nice fish!

We made the same mistake on the 4th.

Headed out of Mexico Beach with a forecast of 1-2. By the time we hit our fist spot 24 miles out it was a solid 4'.

Awesome report and great pictures!!