struck silver today

2»

Replies

• permit_mepermit_me Posts: 877 Officer
    yeah, the bite has been on less than hour, usually fades a bit before tide dies in the a.m.  Tuesday they did seem to be feeding.  One thing i continue to see on the days i get skunked is one or two fish circle a drifted bait slowly, as if to notice its on a string. 50 lb braid/ 60 leader. tomorrow gonna step it down to 50 lb leader on 40 lb braid to try for the bite. Some days its just tough waiting out the bite. good luck!
  • tesilentialtesilential Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Great thread and awesome pics! Super jealous!

I've been working the bridges and passes with no success, I'm sure I'm not there early enough though.  How far off the beach are you fishing?
    50 ft. to 1 mi. wherever the fish are moving. Those calm days make it alot easier. drift into their line of travel. maybe postion a couple hundred yards out with trolling motor if you wanna pitch to the fish, other wise drift a couple baits and pitch to oncoming fish while drifting. that's beach fishing. Its been nice using crabs, no sharks. As soon as i put out a threadfin sharks and macks chew the leaders up. 
  • TennesseeTarponTennesseeTarpon Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    This is promising for my august trip
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,105 Captain
    IMHO it’s all about the spot as I have fished sand key for a few years with only two hookups. The tarpon are there but never really feeding hard there. Tried a new spot this year and have had multiple hookups already.  Maybe just luck but I doubt it
    The beaches of Pinellas were productive this season. The north side of the bay seemed to get less pressure. First fish I hooked this year was 1st week  up by Anclote snook fishing then next time out was AMI, then were St. Pete Beaches most of June and moved my way back up north by July. Some spots were better than others along the beaches. all were productive, at one point or another, maybe the next day. Fish were thickest along the beaches from the Don to Madiera mid june. I like to beach fish because you can really see the fish (on a good day).
    By late August the river mouths up my way will hold local/resident fish. rough start, but all in all solid year so far.
    Fish near passes and inlets seem to be more one the move or stacked.  
    Fishinfl, well done mixing up spots (diff days) its key.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,425 AG
    They chewed all morning.  ;)
  • HallTHallT Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    I found them last week on the bars around Passage Key and Egmont.

Having to move out of state in a few days. The depression is setting in.,,,
    And true to form, they had lockjaw this morning......
    as they did today, the few fish we came across. At least there were fish around last week, today made me wonder if they slipped offshore for the new moon, if possible??? and then come the west winds....
    edited July 9 #42
    I suspect some of the fish are starting to move with the bigger new moon tides.  Saw a difference in numbers of fish in the area we were in from last Wed through Sunday -- decreasing.  They usually move around during these moons, so it's not much of a surprise, per se.  Regardless, the fish we have been fishing (well inside the bay, not on the beach or passes) are 100% post-spawn -- not sure what you're seeing.

Good to hear you got them to eat.
    not sure what i'm seeing either, lol. but since the last full moon, when i noticed a huge drop off of fish on the beaches, i believe i've been catching post spawn fish that are moving on to the north. Some years July is still good for that. Some of those fish seem to stick around and roam the deeper flats, inlets, bridges.  Of course numbers are down, but it still beats snook fishing ;)
    Have not fished a pass this year. who knows, maybe the fish were in the passes this afternoon...

Time for artificials, finger mullet and ladyfish and move to the inside. On those years when august brings slightly cooler waters down into the mid 80s I seem to find more fish.

edited July 10 #44
    On the beach, pre-spawn fish are virtually always in relatively tight pods.  Post spawn fish are seen in much smaller groups and much more spread out.  These post spawn fish are rarely traveling in large groups along the beach, in my experience (which is far more pre-spawn than post spawn along the beach, to be completely transparent), and if you do, even those groups of fish tend to be much more spread out and "loose".   I suspect your experience is the same, but I'd love your perspective on the beach fish pre- and post-spawn.

One thing I can state authoritatively:  Post spawn fish in the bay are much more spread out -- even if they often hold in a general vicinity, sometimes numbering in the hundreds, they are in much "looser" groups and can be spread across many acres of water.  I never really see this pre-spawn at all, except perhaps in the passes when the fish spread out to feed.

With the exception of the crab flushes, I think the post-spawn fish eat better too.  They're seemingly not interested in chasing that large female around in July and August like they were in April and May.  They are back in the bay to eat.

I love plug season...Mike
    the post spawn fish along the beaches passes and inlets ive fished move around islands and flats to feed it seems. as you note, small groups are what i encounter. It is somehwat like the Spring time when fish begin to move around.

One thing that ive found is rather odd, but over the years i think ive caught more post spawn fish mid morning as tide falls off. Most on artificials, occassionally on lady fish or mullet. I cant really seem to get down that bite when they are engulfing loads of fry baits, as i saw last week.  I throw gulp mullets, 4" to them
    edited July 11 #46
    Getting them to eat plugs or just about anything else when they are keyed in on fry or glass minnows is difficult.   Sometimes they'll take a fly, and sometimes they will even take a plug, but it's tough to get them to eat in those situations in my experience.   This time of year I'm much more after fish that are in shad (and to a lesser extent threadfin/sardines) -- as we found them this past week -- but sometimes you gotta cast at the fish you can find.
2»