Watch your Gear!!!

Got an alarming call from an overseer at my boat storage lot with discouraging news. A group of [email protected]#holes up from Miami area (this according to Sheriff Officer we chatted with) was in the Melbourne/Sebastian area this past weekend cutting storage lot fences in order to get Yamaha lower units. Fortunately, my boat was directly under a light with one of the lot cameras pointed right at it and I made it...another boat with twin yammies further back, between to big rv's didn't...both lowers gone. They hit two lots here in my area, that I know of, before departing.

Right now I'm keeping the boat at the house, against HOA rules, until I can install the lower unit theft prevention bolt. Does anyone have any experience with this bolt? My concern is this, if the bolt prevents any Joe Blow from removing it, what happens when a bit of the inevitable salt corrosion gets in it? I don't want a seized anti-theft bolt up in there. 

Thievery..ya know, there's something about old cowboy justice as a deterrence. Watch your stuff folks...the jerks are out there.

Replies

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,164 AG
    Glad you didn't get hit....

As for the bolt...I would look at the instructions and see what they say about using something like never seize.
    Failing that...the tried and true answer is remove clean and lubricate every 3 or 4 months. 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 633 Officer
    on another thread about this a marine mechanic said it would only take him and extra minute to remove that too.

may help but this is all these rats do.....
    we need more internet money
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,217 Admiral
    I've got the star pattern anti theft bolt on my truck, one on each wheel.   I believe they sell the keys for them at every pep boys.   I imagine if they're going to the trouble and risk of stealing lower units, they probably have the necessary equipment to beat anti theft devices pretty readily.   Dirt bags I hope they rot in hell.    
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • shamrock1188shamrock1188 Posts: 272 Deckhand
    Locks are for honest people. If the dirt bags want it they will get it. You just have to make it harder for them to get your stuff so the will move on to somebody else. The light and camera may have saved you. If they can't get your lower unit off they may just take your boat and trailer if that is easier for them.
  • beat to fitbeat to fit Posts: 2,073 Captain

I had the lower unit bolt on for 2 yrs. even with all the right grease, it still locked up and I had to cut it off.

chains and cables only delay them 1-2 mins and they will cut through most of them.

tracking devise is the best and if you boat moves, you will know.

maybe time to find another place to store the boat.

I always thought the best way to beat these kind of thieves is to take your yamaha motor to a paint/body shop and have them paint the whole thing black, put mercury stickers on the cowling and boom!  problem solved. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.

• ChadChad Satellite Beach, FLPosts: 132 Deckhand
    I put these on my LU and transom.  Cheap insurance.  If they do ever get mine, I wont be 2nd guessing myself that I could have possibly prevented it.  The hope is that they move onto an easier one.  I have had my locks off twice for LU drop and has been fine to take off.

http://captmikesstopthief.com/store.html 
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,121 Officer
    I've got something like that prop lock...

Something else we should be talking about is insurance.
  • JEN'S REVENGEJEN'S REVENGE Posts: 626 Officer
    I always thought the best way to beat these kind of thieves is to take your yamaha motor to a paint/body shop and have them paint the whole thing black, put mercury stickers on the cowling and boom!  problem solved. 
    Then it won't run
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Then it won't run
    My merc has never let me down.  I know that's the exception not the rule but it's always got me out and back.  
  • JEN'S REVENGEJEN'S REVENGE Posts: 626 Officer
    I've taken 3 rides(on 3 different boats) behind a seatow boat, had a black motor on the back of each boat in tow (not mine). Mercury = the Ford of the water
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,164 AG
    Back in the late '80's I had a 25 HP Merc 2 stroke...I loved that motor. 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you