Tortugas family trip June 21/22

Took the family to Ft. Jefferson for the first time. Usually it’s a guys trip with long hard days of fishing planned. This time it was a much slower pace with snorkeling and sight seeing mixed in with some fishing. The heat was intense so we only fished till noon both days. Got to check out loggerhead key and swim around places that are closed to fishing. As far as the camping, I swear I could have slow cooked a brisket inside our tent.
Fishing wise the bite up on the reef was just ok. Plenty of yellowtails but we released all but the gut hooked ones. On our way home we fished some deeper areas in 200+ feet and the bite was very good. My son had fun with schoolie dolphin while his mom was pulling up groupers and a nice 16 lb mutton. Stopped at the golden tile spot on the way home and have plenty of fish to eat for the next month. 
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• backyardhockeybackyardhockey Posts: 141 Deckhand
    Was the snorkeling at the fort good enough to be a stand alone trip?
  • mtbrider85mtbrider85 Posts: 336 Deckhand
    Hard to give you a yes/no answer. Its beautiful out there in my opinion. Lots of campers come on the ferry to come snorkel around the fort walls. If you come on a private vessel then it gives you much more areas to explore for snorkeling like loggerhead key, the windjammer, and other mooring sites. Walking around the Fort at dawn/dusk is a pretty cool experience as well. I would only come when you know the water isn't blown out from high winds. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MGDMGD Posts: 1,025 Officer
    Amazing family trip good for you!

MGD said:
    Amazing family trip good for you!

Thank you, its a welcomed break from reality. We needed it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,217 Admiral
    awesome trip.    Do you launch right in Key West?   Doesn't seem like much  in the way of ramps/parking on the island. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • canyonrunnercanyonrunner Posts: 54 Greenhorn
    Great trip!
    Thanks for sharing
  • AOKRVsAOKRVs Posts: 1,775 Captain
    What a great family trip -
    nice report and pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Marathon, FL -- World Cat 320CC -- Fishing/Snorkeling/Sunset Cruise

. www.AOKCharters.com

. www.AOKRVs.com   -- The best prices on the best best brands everyday.

• NorthernNorthern Posts: 830 Officer
    Everyone had big smiles.......Well played!
    awesome trip.    Do you launch right in Key West?   Doesn't seem like much  in the way of ramps/parking on the island. 

Most people I run into use the city ramp over by garrison bight/charter boat row. I never used since our family has a place on the island with dockage/lift.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,217 Admiral

Most people I run into use the city ramp over by garrison bight/charter boat row. I never used since our family has a place on the island with dockage/lift.
    Thanks!  
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • triplejstriplejs Posts: 201 Deckhand
    Saw you guys there, we were on the other side of the ferry dock. The weather those days was perfect. We did well on the deeper ledges with reds, black and muttons ..
  • N2naclh20N2naclh20 Posts: 278 Deckhand
    Awesome trip and photos, curious as to why you don't sleep on deck of boat down there. 
    There is no greater passion than that of a fisherman.
    Avatar photo: Grandparents and my Dad at Blowing Rocks, Jupiter 1923.
    N2naclh20 said:
    Awesome trip and photos, curious as to why you don't sleep on deck of boat down there. 
    I have done it in the past with not so great results. Those 3 am summertime rain squalls can be rough without a good tent/rainfly. I suppose if i developed a better tarp/canopy system it could be done.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • deadbuckdeadbuck Posts: 51 Greenhorn

We did a day trip on 6/20. Didn’t do much fishing but toured the fort and snorkeled the wreck. Worth the trip at least once but there are some really good snorkeling spots elsewhere in the Keys. The third pic was taken 11 miles out from the island. The water was sooo glassy it looked like a floating piece of wood until we realized it was actually the top of the fort we were seeing. Amazing trip!
  • AMPEDAMPED Posts: 601 Officer
    Nice trip
    2016 39 Sea Vee
    2008 37 Ocean Billfish
    2005 30 Grady-White Marlin
    1993 27 Ultress Catamaran
    1985 Grady-White Trophy
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,219 Captain
    nise and u had the boat 2 do it
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • O'BryanO'Bryan Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    Always nice to get into the water and break things up, making memories! 
  • cudamancudaman Kendal LakesPosts: 404 Deckhand
    Looks like you all had a ton of fun, the little one must have been amazed.
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,515 Captain
    Great report and pics.
  • One Named Fishin'One Named Fishin' Key WestPosts: 40 Greenhorn
    edited July 16 #22
    “...cooked a brisket in my tent.” 🤣 Wait till August!