shimano reels

Diego_sosaaDiego_sosaa Posts: 41 Greenhorn
Was searching up the stradic **** and Saragossa both 5000 size for a new set up when I stumbled apon the stradic sw a reel so far only in japan and love it except for the handle knob. I wanted to know if anyone knows any news on this reel. I Haven't done to much looking but before finding it I never even heard it existed till now. 

http://fish.shimano.com.sg/content/fish/asia/sg/en/homepage/ProductPage.P-STRADICSW.html

Replies

• DES51DES51 Posts: 77 Greenhorn
    Don't think it is available yet. Supposedly it will be unveiled at ICAST!
  • mara5mara5 Posts: 130 Deckhand
    There are a bunch of them on Ebay. They have to be ordered from Japan. Good luck!
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,154 Moderator
    Parts for "Japan only reels" are not available in the US,  Good Luck if it breaks
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,217 AG
    edited June 29 #5
    It is not hard to get parts for Shimano's Japanese models here, Jack, but it certainly takes longer than it does to get parts from a domestic source.  As you point out, none of the Shimano service centers here in the US stock them to my knowledge, but they are available via ebay and Japanese stores that ship here.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,865 Captain
    Considering some of the small problems Shimano has with their current parts system.... I quit buying them entirely... Good luck with “Japan only” reels...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Diego_sosaaDiego_sosaa Posts: 41 Greenhorn
    Parts for "Japan only reels" are not available in the US,  Good Luck if it breaks
    I understood that, I was kinda hoping for news if it would be coming to the United States, thanks for the input!

Considering some of the small problems Shimano has with their current parts system.... I quit buying them entirely... Good luck with “Japan only” reels...
    I'm sorry you've had bad luck with shimano, I personally have had such a good experience with them I wont bother with another Penn or Daiwa reel. Thanks for sharing your experience with me!
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 557 Officer
    I've had no problems getting parts for my Stradics. Only thing I've needed in 5 years of heavy use has been a couple of line roller bearings. Once I learned to lubricate them regularly that is no longer an issue. I've been waiting over a month for a original equip replacement knob for a Daiwa Saltiga though. Penn = Chinese quality = not so good.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,865 Captain
    Shimano only imports parts for each model - for seven years (and they're bringing out new models yearly...) - after that you only have what's still in-country -either from Shimano or from the various warranty stations around the country... I know that these days, few keep reels for years (and fewer still like to repair their own gear...) so I'm on the short end....  I actually have a few reels in service that are easily thirty years old - and no... they're not Shimano (except for a few very old plug reels which have stood up quite well...)...  I have at least eight older Stradics ... that need parts and that's that... I actually have schematics for nearly every reel ever made by Penn, Daiwa, and Shimano - and can access schematics for Quantum and others... but the schematics are worthless without the needed pinion gear or handle or some other critical part... Bearings you can always access from other sources - but dedicated reel parts -not at all...

Lastly, Shimano has one other small habit that's not very good... Occasionally any manufacturer will have a part that's substandard and needs to be replaced and that was the case with the handles for the Stradic 4000FH which didn't last very long at all... They did come up with a better handle - then promptly gave it the same part number as the one that didn't hold up - so you couldn't know if you were getting the new one or the old defective unit.... Tough deal when you need handles...   All of that is a moot point now since you can't buy a handle for that model no matter which one it is.... 

My anglers aren't any harder on gear than anyone else - but my gear will get used four or five times as much as a recreational angler's gear.  That makes being able to repair/replace critical.  No I'm not buying their spinners ever again because of it.... and I'm in my 22nd year full time guiding and no.... "bad luck" has nothing to do with Shimano deliberately not supporting their older reels with parts.... other manufacturers behave differently.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    edited June 30 #11
    You are certainly correct about Shimano's parts policies in comparison to others.  But who cares if a 10 year old reel parts aren't available, when you can buy two of them for $30 -- that's less than a price of a new handle -- and cannibalize them for parts?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Stradic-4000Fh-5000Fh-Parts-Only-No-Reserve-Starting-1/323314913010?hash=item4b47120ef2:g:xKoAAOSw8fRbLq7B

And in fairness, the most needed parts for Shimano reels going back decades -- bearings and drag washers -- are still readily available from a number of sources even without having to resort to such measures.

I also believe that Shimano replaced all those Stratic bad handles for free -- all you had to do was call them.

Lastly, to compare the needs of a successful professional guide with the average recreational angler isn't exactly a fair comparison, so for the above reasons I have disagreed with Capt. Lemay for the first time I think....ever.

Just some food for thought, respectfully submitted...Mike the Admitted Shimano Fanboy  who still fishes with 20 year old Calcuttas and Stratics. :)

• CaptJCaptJ Posts: 557 Officer
    I understand that the old days of bullet proof Penn Reels is over. I happen to like the Stradics for their many great features that are applicable to my style of fishing. I also understand that all of these products will be replaced in a few years due to the level of quality in manufacture we see today. Let's face it, American made products were far superior and the mentality was quite different than today. I still have Penn reels from the 70's that are in perfect running  condition, but their performance isn't up to current standards. Time marches  on.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,154 Moderator
    edited July 1 #13
    Mike, I hate to disagree with you, but working in a Shimano (as well as Penn, Daiwa and many other reel manufacturers) Warranty Center, it SUCKS when  I have to call and tell a customer that his $1000 Stella is unrepairable because we do not have the needed part, and Shimano does not have the needed part to supply us or repair the reel.  I personally have had this happen to my $300 ( at that time) Sustain and it became a paperweight.  It's not just bearings and drag washers that wear out.  This post is directed to the spinners, Shimano's conventional reels are very good.  I still own and use a couple Stradics that I purchased in 1992, but all my new spinners are Daiwa.
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,719 Captain
    Mike, I hate to disagree with you, but working in a Shimano (as well as Penn, Daiwa and many other reel manufacturers) Warranty Center, it SUCKS when  I have to call and tell a customer that his $1000 Stella is unrepairable because we do not have the needed part, and Shimano does not have the needed part to supply us or repair the reel.  I personally have had this happen to my $300 ( at that time) Sustain and it became a paperweight.  It's not just bearings and drag washers that wear out.  This post is directed to the spinners, Shimano's conventional reels are very good.  I still own and use a couple Stradics that I purchased in 1992, but all my new spinners are Daiwa.
    Yup...I was buying a couple Stella''s every year to fill out my arsenal.  Had one small part break and tried to get it fixed.  Was told no parts were available.  This was nearly  a $1,000 reel and at 5 years old I was told by Shimano to throw it out and buy a new one.

I haven't bought a Shimano product since.
    edited July 1 #15
    I really appreciate you guys sharing your experiences with me about reel manufactures. I am a big fan of shimano products although I own other reels that are great also is partly because when I was really little my dad would let me use his old stradics and I feel like every stradic since has gotten better expect the Stradic fj, also bunch of other details that make them great. I do like to research my reels before I buy them to get reviews which is why I was trying to dig up some information on the new stradic sw. I hope it doesn't cost much more than a regular stradic if it does come to us but I may end up getting another stradic f k or my first Saragossa instead of waiting so by the time ive saved for another reel enough people would have been guinea pigs.
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,719 Captain
    Buy the cheapest one you can find so you don't feel so bad when Shimano tells you to throw it away.
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 1,432 Officer
    edited July 1 #17
    I have almost exclusively shimano reels.  Some are over 10 years old, never had a single part break.  I'm of the opinion that $200 for a decade's (or more given i still haven't had one break) worth of use is more than a fair deal.  While I may not be a guide my reels are getting used, it isn't like they are sitting on the shelf for years collecting dust. 

Until I have a problem with shimano I will not be giving up their reels.  I find them to be far better than the competition.  I bought a quantum smoke for $180 and the reel flat out can't work a jig without getting knots, never had this issue on a shimano.  Tried Penn and it was heavy and cranked liked it had sand in the gears.  I do like daiwa, solid reels.  But I still love shimano.   
    Buy the cheapest one you can find so you don't feel so bad when Shimano tells you to throw it away.
    I wouldn't dream of buying a Stella trust me
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 370 Deckhand

How did yo get to that? Trial and error.
    I broke my reel. How did you do that?
    Let me show you.
    I can't do that. Let me show you what to do.
    That's not what I'm looking to do.
    You can put braid on it.
    Nobody is stopping you.

http://advancedfishing-usa.com/

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/tsunami-airwave-series-surf-casting-rod

We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.
    edited July 2 #20
    I don't think you're disagreeing with me, Jack.  I'd say you're sharing your experience -- and working in the industry like you do, your experience is far more broad than my own.

For what it's worth, I'd probably have bought a Diawa spinner by now based on reports from you and others, but my darn Shimanos won't stop working.  ;)
  • Kill_It_N_Grill_ItKill_It_N_Grill_It fort lauderdalePosts: 36 Greenhorn
    shimano reels are totally worth the money! if you are looking into stradics check out the **** series