Tidewater boats

FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,183 Captain
I am in the market for a 22-24 bay boat at a low/mid range price point, so looking at tidewater, sea born, nauticstar, etc...  I can't see paying 30k+ for a used boat out of warranty when decent boats exist with a brand new engine etc...   plus need jump seats too.   I mentioned tidewater boats as I love the layout, finish, price point, but the customer service I have heard from one owner is horrendous.   Has any one else had this experience?  Or was my friend and his boat just an exception?   Thx all!

Replies

• ccriderccrider Posts: 578 Officer
    I have heard the same about their customer service, a friend of mine recently bought a new 230LXF and loves the boat I haven't been on the water in it yet but I like the layout and for the price point seems like a good value. He got the optional 24v charging systems along with a few other electronic options and has had many electrical issues and according to him getting warranty work has been a pain in the ****. On top of that there is only one authorized dealer near us. I recently bought a new Parker 2300SE  and absolutely love it, can run offshore on decent days and  fish the back country while still drafting under a ft. They are a little more pricey than a Tidewater but well worth it.
  • ASK KNOTASK KNOT Posts: 92 Greenhorn
     have a 2011 23 tidewater and like it a lot.  It rides bigger than it is and is dry.  
    Pros:  Still light enough to trainer easily and with  a 250 4str it sips gas.  Here in palm beach we don't need to go far so one engine is great.  Dry, rides great.  High gunnels make you feel safer (scout and pioneers have low gunnels)
    cons:  No seat storage on my set up.  The fish boxes are not insulatedl hate that.  Powder coat chips every time you use the boat a little at a time from banging, cleaning, fish spasms and others..    Pumps a little hard to get to between the engine and the stern.  

I had a grady 20 for years and will say that you tell the details are better like hardware, insulation and wiring.  But I would still buy another tidewater for my use.  

• DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 556 Officer
    If you're skilled in boat maintenance A $30,000 dollar used boat after
    5 years of use can turn into A profit. Work hard! Play hard!
    We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.
  • Nick_BrutonNick_Bruton Posts: 28 Greenhorn

I can't say too much on Tidewater but as to my experience being on a few of them, the compartments don't seem to be the best quality. I stepped on one that is in the bow of the boat and it  almost sounded like it was breaking ( I way 180lbs)..and I think it's a pretty wet riding boat even with all the flair they've got. I got soaked running in some chop out of Jupiter.. meanwhile I've been 30 miles out in a 22' pathfinder in 2-3's and stayed high and dry. Honestly, a used boat can be an incredible option when trying to stay in a lower price point, versus buying a new price point bay boat that wont hold value the same.

• FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,183 Captain
    @Nick - I agree and my current boat is 18 yrs old and runs great with 2000 Yamaha 115.  However I spent 10k for it 10 years ago.   I have a hard time spending 30+ for a used boat with older engine not under warranty compared to a brand new engine.  Although I guess  what you pay for in quality of fiberglass and customer service.  But at the same time is Hewes or Pathfinder truly better or is their marketing department just much better.   I am open to a slightly used boat.  Thx!
  • SaveMyRiverSaveMyRiver Posts: 426 Deckhand
    All i can say is,
    Dont expect TW support (everyone knows his name) to tell you anything but to talk w your dealer. I had electrical issues , cut wires and splice w electric tape when wires were pulled to the tach.  My dealer said it was stock and  they helped me more than TW .  They even expressed frustration with it.  Numerous phone calls and emails to TW while the dealer had my boat for 2wks .  I told the dealer that this was my first and last and that I appreciate his concern.

the boat is ok now but my initial experience will always be in my mind. 

If you get one,  make sure your dealer is legit because that's your best bet for support 
  • pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,497 Captain
    Go over to the Hull Truth forum, and do a search for Tidewater boats. You'll get all the info you want about their customer service, and pretty much none of it will be good. Most of it straight from owners. 
    Yeah I will stay away from TW
  • scottmediascottmedia Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    I bought a 22' Tidewater Carolina Bay with a 250 HO Evinrude G2 with 4 blade SS prop last year, had it built with some specialty items on it.  Awesome hole shot and good top end speed and good gas economy.  I am getting like 3 mpg on an average trip.  

The boat is a dry riding boat.  The Carolina flare on the front helps tremendously in that.  I got the boat up on plane in less than two feet of water with three guys on the front, trim tabs down, and jake plate up.  Boat will run in less than a foot of water on plane as well.  Boat floats really high in the water as they pump it with foam everywhere they can, so the draft is about 9'' as advertised.  Overall so far I am pleased with the boat.  I did have some wiring issues at first but we got that all figured out and fixed.  Still have to put in a new gas float in the tank, it got stuck.  

IMO you won't find a better boat for the price you will pay either new or used.  They are solid boats.  I can't say too much about customer service other than I am pleased with my experience so far.  I haven't had any issues in that respect.  

Knock on wood I won't have any issues with it.  :)

• andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 640 Officer
    FishInFL said:
    I am in the market for a 22-24 bay boat at a low/mid range price point, so looking at tidewater, sea born, nauticstar, etc...  I can't see paying 30k+ for a used boat out of warranty when decent boats exist with a brand new engine etc...   plus need jump seats too.   I mentioned tidewater boats as I love the layout, finish, price point, but the customer service I have heard from one owner is horrendous.   Has any one else had this experience?  Or was my friend and his boat just an exception?   Thx all!
    Dont let one hull truth drama queen sway you, several have been exposed as paid actors LOL
    we need more internet money
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,217 Admiral
    I bought a 22' Tidewater Carolina Bay with a 250 HO Evinrude G2 with 4 blade SS prop last year, had it built with some specialty items on it.  Awesome hole shot and good top end speed and good gas economy.  I am getting like 3 mpg on an average trip.  

The boat is a dry riding boat.  The Carolina flare on the front helps tremendously in that.  I got the boat up on plane in less than two feet of water with three guys on the front, trim tabs down, and jake plate up.  Boat will run in less than a foot of water on plane as well.  Boat floats really high in the water as they pump it with foam everywhere they can, so the draft is about 9'' as advertised.  Overall so far I am pleased with the boat.  I did have some wiring issues at first but we got that all figured out and fixed.  Still have to put in a new gas float in the tank, it got stuck.  

IMO you won't find a better boat for the price you will pay either new or used.  They are solid boats.  I can't say too much about customer service other than I am pleased with my experience so far.  I haven't had any issues in that respect.  

Knock on wood I won't have any issues with it.  :)

A buddy of mine just but a boat exactly like what you are describing, he bought it used, with 60 hours on the motor, and he absolutely loves it.  Dry ride, powerful, smooth.   He's taking it to Ft Myers in a couple weeks for some fishing.    But he's had it out a dozen times since he bought it and can't say enough good things. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 11,257 AG
    I've heard a few bad things through the grapevine about Tidewater customer support.  The hull seems to be pretty nice, but I'm not sure that would be the company I would buy from if I were buying a new boat and interested in a company that stands behind their products.
    @tarponator am having similar thoughts despite the great boat and price 
  • pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,497 Captain
    FishInFL said:
    Dont let one hull truth drama queen sway you, several have been exposed as paid actors LOL
    One? Go do.a search, then get back to us on the number of owners who have had major issues with their boars, and pretty much been told to pound sand by Tidewater. I actually like the layout of a couple of their models, but no way I would buy one. 
  • sigiiligansigiiligan Posts: 113 Deckhand
    Go over to the Hull Truth forum, and do a search for Tidewater boats. You'll get all the info you want about their customer service, and pretty much none of it will be good. Most of it straight from owners. Agreed, that is a great website for any questions regarding boats or boating. 
  • rockrock Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    While your searching tidewater on the hull truth you may want to read up on nautistar as well. I wouldn’t buy either one with the track record they have.
    Seems all the entry priced boats aren’t worth it because if anything happens you are SOL
  • Kill_It_N_Grill_ItKill_It_N_Grill_It fort lauderdalePosts: 60 Greenhorn
    tidewater boats has a very similar build and layout to the notorious PATHFINDER molds with out the ridiculous expenses.  however I was able to pick up a 2011 skeeter 21 bay powered by Yamaha for 20k  and I really could not have been more pleased with the features and every aspect of it.   been in 18 in on the flats and 25 miles offshore.    VERY DRY
    Used Skeeter, Sea Hunt, and Sea Pro are what I am looking at 
    Locks froze on my rod lockers on my year old TW this weekend.   Simple little things that make me harbor a bad taste for the boat
    Did you spray a little WD-40 in the locks?
    Locks froze on my rod lockers on my year old TW this weekend.   Simple little things that make me harbor a bad taste for the boat