Braid vs Mono Inshore

offshoreofficeoffshoreoffice Posts: 37 Greenhorn
What does everyone think of Powerpro vs Mono for inshore fishing? Is the price on Amazon a good deal? https://amzn.to/2tVe5DQ

Braid vs Mono Inshore 27 votes

Braid
85%
snookaffinitypottydocflybydaywaldnerrcprTarponatorgot1onMr-Orenoacme54321jcboneSpotshotcongoman775ManxmankmagnussReel Tealmara5RockslamoffshoreofficeOldsmar GuyGarysmo 23 votes
Mono
14%
duckmanJRjcanracerCyclistRich M 4 votes

Replies

• FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,183 Captain
    It really depends on the abrasion resistance and the structure being fished.  Need more details here 
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 2,735 Captain
    Braid to fluoro is my preference.   
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,625 Captain
    Braid 100% , but sometimes online bought line has problems . Take your reel to a local tackle shop and have them put it on for you. They will get it on tighter with no twist. And you get exactly what you need, no partially filled spoils or an extra 50 yds of line that you can do nothing with
    You should have been here yesterday
  • ragincajun92ragincajun92 Posts: 407 Deckhand
    kellercl said:
    mine as well
    Reelintension Go Pro Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/85stangbanger (plz like and subscribe)
  • mikenavmikenav Posts: 699 Officer
    Braid to fluoro all day long. I like the braid because I can get more of it on my reel, it casts much better and the knot to tie onto fluoro is easy and holds tight. 
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 595 Officer
    Braid
    kellercl said:
    X2
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,304 Moderator
    Braid to fluoro, but most any brand but Power Pro.  Personally I like J-Braid
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 639 Officer
    I clung to mono because it was cheaper, but I think braid is "cheaper" in the long run especially if you put $$ on lost fish or missed bites LOL
    we need more internet money
  • pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,497 Captain
    Braid
    Braid to a floro leader. For everything except trolling offshore. Then it's hollow core braid (JB) to about 100 yards of mono topshot.
  • offshoreofficeoffshoreoffice Posts: 37 Greenhorn
    Braid
    I have gone to 10lb braid for inshore. I like the yellow and the green. 
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,299 Admiral
    Braid
    I clung to mono because it was cheaper, but I think braid is "cheaper" in the long run especially if you put $$ on lost fish or missed bites LOL
    I'm still using braid that's 15 years old. It's out lasted a reel. I just loaded the new spool off the old one, all the braid near the center was like brand new.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • capt_steve93capt_steve93 StuartPosts: 5 Greenhorn
    Braid
    Braid is the way to go inshore with a double uni tied to a fluoro leader. You get way better casting distance and sensitivity. 
    Nativefishingcharters.com - Stuart Florida inshore offshore fishing guide service 
  • FlecFlec Posts: 504 Officer
    I don't spend the extra $$ for flouro, I just use mono and join the two with an FG knot. I use Power Pro 8lb on my 2000 series Pfluegers and 15lb on my 3000's. Love that FG knot!
  • Kill_It_N_Grill_ItKill_It_N_Grill_It fort lauderdalePosts: 60 Greenhorn
    Power pro braid has dominated the market here in south florida for years.  Especially for inshore.  it allows you to have more line and over time dosn't do that stupid curl that your monofilament line does.  Definatly going with a leader of mono or fluorocarbon is good for the stretch especially if you are targeting fish like tarpon.   I work at West marine and near to all of my customers will run these type of set up.  it also allows you to have a more sensitive feel for the bite.  Another pro to the braided line is that it is easier to slide through the guides and has way less resistance.  Power pro also has 2 different types of braided line.  the standard power pro and " Super 8 slick"  the difference between these two is that the super 8 has a wax coating to allow it to go through the guides easier and also that it has less strands to make up the line.   this allows it to actually be stronger and thinner than the traditional braided line.  the only down side to the super 8 is that some people tend to have some issues with their knots slipping.   My knot of choice is the uni knot if I am attaching the hook or lure straight to the braided main line and for the line to line connection ofcourse I go with the double uni and have no issues.   I apply the super 8 on my bass rods and my inshore set ups where I would be casting a light set up of tackle like naked hook soft plastics on an XPS worm hook or on my personal favorite. the light weighted and highly effective Yo-Zuri crystal minnows.  If you do not want to spend the more expensive $ on flouro I have been using the Mustad Monofilament available at walmart and other outdoors stores for the past 7 months and I have to say I am Highly impressed.  It holds up on fish very well. 
  • Capjohnson.mikeCapjohnson.mike Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    For inshore Fishing, Braid all day Long tied to Floro leader. Unless your going for a record there’s no point in mono. That’s my .02
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,183 Captain
    Anyone having more success with a 10-12 foot leader?  More challenging as the line to leader knot must be slim to go through guides for casts 
  • FlecFlec Posts: 504 Officer
    I always use a 5' mono leader with my 8 or 15lb powerpro braid. I use an FG knot. Very slim and goes thru the guides easily, also a super strong knot. I use 5' because the snook I catch destroy the first few inches close to the lure, so I have to trim and retie often. Ladyfish are also hell on leaders.
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,392 Officer
    Braid
    Spyderwire Ultracast braid has been the best performing on my boat for many years.... obviously with a flouro leader. 
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 11,257 AG
    Braid
    The only time I use mono these days is when fishing in deep, high-current areas for tarpon (like our passes in early summer).  Otherwise, I'm all braid these days.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,167 AG
    Mono
    I use both as the situation dictates...but 90% of my fishing is with mono....but not just any...
    You may be thinking " What type of "ultra premium" mono would that be...The kind made by the Zero Hour Bomb company....
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,892 Admiral
    edited August 1 #22
    I will say I have always been a mono guy up until here just recently. I tried braid back when it hit the market and could not justify the cost to performance difference. Had far too many wind knots, and never had any problem catching whatever on mono. Always used Ande and then Ande Back Country for low memory when it came out. Recently I purchased a yak and I had to switch up the way I fish. The 4000 size reel and rod started to absolutely kill my shoulders when all you use is arms and shoulders while sitting down in a yak. So I went down to 2500 size reel and rod and out of line capacity I had to go with braid. I must say the feel is absolutely incredible when you actually feel the fish crush the lure, and you set the hook. I am simply amazed at the way you feel everything. So now that I am older and need lighter rods and reels , braid is the way I will be going from now on!
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• SaveMyRiverSaveMyRiver Posts: 426 Deckhand
    Are talking again resistance?  I think there's much debate on which is more resistant.