July 3rd, Alligator Point trip

I took off work on Tuesday and was able to get my wife to do the same. We snagged Micciman and our youngest son Grady (aka G-Money (G$)) and headed to Alligator Point to meet my buddy Randy at his boat. I should preface this tale by telling you about waking G$ up at 4:30 AM. I asked him if he wanted to go fishing or stay home. He stretched and replied, " I want to go rip the lips off some snapper."  Game on!!!

We loaded the boat and headed out to a little bumpier seas than I had hoped for, but  still doable. After putting 100 pin fish in the livewell, we were off. First spot saw Micci put a keeper ARS in the boat before the sharks showed up and started cutting of everything. We moved to another spot and my wife managed to put a keeper on ice. Shorts that we were able to get up quickly were plentiful, but every time we had a good fish on that struggled to stay down, the sharks took care of them.

After moving to our third spot we had a flurry of activity and a 6 man limit was quickly filled. I had another good one on the line when it felt like he turned on the afterburners and I quickly realized I had hooked a shark. After 30 minutes of 3 anglers battling this joker on an Ambassadeur 10000/ Ugly Stik Tiger Lite combo spooled with 40# test, I was ready to break him off and get back to fishing for a grouper. The problem was, I couldn't break the line no matter how hard I tried. We even cleated the line off on the boat and tried using the motors to break it. The result was the fish started coming up so we uncleated the line and started fighting it again. We finally saw color and brought it boat-side to see a solid 10' Bull Shark. The girth of that shark was immense which is saying a lot for me to comment on considering my own girth! We grabbed the leader and cut it loose. After catching a few more short grouper, we decided to call it a day and head back in.

It was safe to say that G$ did his share of lip-ripping as he quickly made his way around the boat to whatever rod had a fish hooked on it. He lasted about 15 minutes on the ride home before the sandman caught him and his eyes closed and snoring filled the cab of the truck.

A great day with family and awesome friends for sure.

The Crew- minus my wife, the photographer

G- Money Ripping some lips

G-Money's bounty

Robbed by a shark

Micci taking his turn getting **** by a shark

A young man, deep in thoughts upon the sea

Two older men, deep in sleep upon the sea

The Haul- finally got my wife in a picture

Replies

• seabiscuitseabiscuit Posts: 1,006 Officer
    Well done!  Great report..
  • BigfootBigfoot Posts: 9,372 Admiral
    awesome, 

Tommy cracks me up
    Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,101 Captain
    Thanks for the report 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 2,931 Captain
    Killer report!
    thanks for the photos 

Good Lip Ripping G$!
    God, save the South!
  • Spanky DunlapSpanky Dunlap Posts: 651 Officer
    Love to see a kid that loves to fish. Great report.   :) 
    It is very difficult to win an argument with an educated man and darn near impossible to win one with an idiot.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 1,258 Moderator

A great report and a pleasure seeing that young man out on the boat. That's a great fishing boat.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,186 AG
    Let me tell y'all, that 7 yr old boy didn't complain one time in 10 hours of being on the boat! Not once. He had a blast and so did I.

David- I crack my self up too at times LOL.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,186 AG
    On the shark fight that we didn't get cut on on, 3 of us passed the rod  5 times before surfacing it, 45-60 minutes total. Biggest bull shark I have seen. 50# Ande line is some strong stuff.....
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,644 Captain
    Nice report. Glad y'all had success.  Thanks for sharing.
    Proverbs 13:3
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,288 Captain
    Good Dill. Good to see the young man having a ball.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • brotherinlawbrotherinlaw Posts: 2,828 Captain
    Good deal looks like ya'll had a blast
  • CranfieldCranfield Posts: 1,299 Officer
    A good read and some nice fish pics there.
    Its really frustrating when the sharks appear and stop the good fish getting in the boat.
    That lad certainly has a big smile, great to see him out enjoying himself.
  • kgfisherkgfisher Posts: 585 Officer
    Very nice!!
    "The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore"

- Vincent Van Gogh

2215GAG3.jpg
  • GTCAbacoMonGTCAbacoMon Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    Great report!  Did that fella on the right in the first pic catch any fish?  I thought he only knew how to catch bass and bream!  
  • GTCAbacoMonGTCAbacoMon Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    Great report!  Did that fella on the right in the first pic catch any fish?  I thought he only knew how to catch bass and bream!  
  • fsuwxmanfsuwxman Posts: 1,233 Officer
    Solid work, fellas.
    2015 FS Northwest Forum NASCAR Champion
  • bottomtimebottomtime Posts: 317 Deckhand
    Pretty sure he caught a good buzz and he did put a huge anchor in the boat a couple of times ;)