long shiner casting help

Well, if you’ve read/seen my posts, you see a natural progression into researching what my home pond has. i have no idea of depth. There’s the chain-like fern plants next to the bank or just sand. I want to cast out a ways and lost a few shiners with stationary bobber attached. 
Can i just run a bobber stop up 10-15 ft and let the shiner run or do i need any more terminal tackle and if so what? 
I’m using spinning reel w 10 braid 15 lb floro
thanks 

Replies

• DrKDrK Posts: 239 Deckhand
    How about not having a bobber? Just cast it to the middle and slowly drag it back in so it does not go into the weeds. Reel in and repeat.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,586 Moderator
    You have to "lob" a shiner. The bobber stop thing is ok but if you hook it near the tail you can sometimes steer it with a small bobber about 2' up the line by pulling a little. It will generally swim away from the tension.
    Nothing wrong with it being close to the shore line weeds. Especially early and late.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • no slackno slack Posts: 294 Deckhand
    Caught some really big fish on rodman by casting a freeline shiner, no weight or float and setting the pole down.  I thought he would get Tangled in the hydrilla but those fish would find him.  The line would start getting tight and I would just feed some slack before setting the hook.  
  • saltybluegrasssaltybluegrass Posts: 68 Greenhorn
    any one use circle hooks or do bass not work well without setting a hook? 
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,586 Moderator
    I'm sure they work fine. I've never used them on bass..
    "You'll get your weather"
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 556 Officer
    Use your imagination. There are A lot of different variations.

We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.
  • mikenavmikenav Posts: 696 Officer
    Circle hooks on bass work great. Especially with shiners. Takes away the whole need for the Bassmaster hookset and allows you to still catch the fish and get your hook out with no problem. 
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 7,143 Admiral
    I prefer circle hooks for bass.  

Captain Todd Approves

• Kill_It_N_Grill_ItKill_It_N_Grill_It fort lauderdalePosts: 60 Greenhorn
    free line the shiner no bobber and small circle hook like 1/0