Alligator's in the IRL

Has anyone seen an increase in alligators in the IRL since the water has come up? Thinking of doing some wade fishing....

Replies

• DayzGonByeDayzGonBye Posts: 82 Greenhorn
    There always around, especially near lesser developed areas.  It doesn't matter what time of year they are present.  They are just more active in the warmer months.  
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,808 Captain
    Nope, see the same usual suspects. Some big ones on the north end
  • FlecFlec Posts: 581 Officer
    I never see them in the south end,,Melbourne to Vero area.  Maybe in some of the feeder creeks like Horse,Crane,Turkey, or Sebastian River.
  • HUNTINTHEWILDHUNTINTHEWILD Posts: 332 Deckhand
    Are they ever aggressive?
  • Topwater GuyTopwater Guy Posts: 472 Deckhand
    That depends, if it is mating season, watch for the gator to expose himself in the water from his nostril's to the tip of his tail. He is telling you something, here is your sign.....move on!
    Lead, Follow..... Just, Get Out of the Way
  • footballkillsfootballkills LargoPosts: 1 Greenhorn
    I have recently encountered a situation where I witnessed an alligator being poached while out hunting hogs with my son. 

The guy was a Colorado resident. At first I wasn’t all that bothered because I think the protection alligators have is stupid. They are over populated and that’s all there is too it. 

As as we walked by I mentioned to the guy I see your out of state. You do know you can’t kill an alligator in Florida without the proper permitting and I believe it’s more difficult for out of state residents to get those permits. 

The guy guy was somewhat engaging. He wanted to talk so I let him talk. He had an AR15 with a nice optic and complimented the firearm. He then goes on to tell me that he jmoved here 6 months ago to live with his girlfriend. He said he just got the AR15. I asked him how he acquired the firearm if wasn’t a Florida resident. He said he had a friend of his buy it for him in Colorado and ship it too him. 

That got my attention. He then began bashing Florida for crappy hunting and the heat. I said well maybe you can go back out to Colorado now and then and hunt there. Then he just began to ramble about his life story. He tells me that he had been arrested a few times in his life. I just listened and he talked about it like it was a badge of honor. He mentioned he got arrested for stealing horses out west. At this point I thought he was he was just a blowhard lying. 

Regardless, I sent my son to the truck and told him I wanted some water. As my son was walking away I texted him not to panic but call 911 and tell them we came up on an alligator poacher. Don’t come back til FWC shows up. 

Meanwhile this guy keeps rambling. I mean just wildly bizarre stories. Talking about all the guns he owns. 

My son son comes back in an FWC truck with an officer in about 45 minutes and by now the guy has told me everything. 

The end result. FWC did nothing. They wrote him a warning. Told me they would refer the possible illegal purchase of the AR15 to ATF. 

FWC explained that they really aren’t actively prosecuting gator poaching cases since the kid in Orlando was killed at the Disney property. Judges across the state are throwing gator poaching cases out. 

Since the guy was from out of state they couldn’t find out if he was a felon in a possession of a firearm without some additional investigation since he claims the arrests occurred years ago.

FWC said the straw purchase of the AR15 was up to ATF. He’ll give them the serial # of the firearm and they’ll trace the transaction. 

So they let him go. 

Moral of this story. Law enforcement is a joke. This criminal and his criminal act was handed to FWC. They showed no interest. ATF contacted me the next week and said the guy does have a criminal record from California. However, California wasn’t cooperating with them in releasing the records so they were moving the case to closed status unless California gets back to them. 

I said the straw purchase of the AR15 has no bearing on his criminal history and is a crime within itself. They said they would contact FWC about that. That was 3 months ago and they’ve done nothing. 

I guess we we can buy guns anywhere and anyway we want regardless of criminal history or not. It’s open season on gators and apparently protected species is subjective depending on the opinion of the Hunter. I guess panthers are fair game, bald eagles and there are no fishing limits if you think the law doesn’t apply to you. 

This is is inexcusable. The anti gun lobby is coming after us and our guns. We self police and the same people charged with protecting us and enforcing those laws don’t give a ****. 

I am spreading the word about this. Called the governors office. No response. 
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,383 AG
    where were you hunting hogs on public land around the IRL?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,080 AG
    Your story is interesting....but that said....with this being your first post....and you digging up a post from July of last year...It seems like you just wanted a soapbox to stand on.  Just an observation. 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Flounderman3Flounderman3 Posts: 148 Deckhand
    That is one hell of a first post for sure.....
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 1,723 Captain
    edited September 9 #11
    I know that FWC has been easing up on folks legally gator hunting at night on my local lakes. Doubt that they’re doing it for fun. 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,444 Admiral
    Poach gators where i'm at and a case will be made if caught.... no ifs ands or buts about it as long as there is PC.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,020 AG
    Poached gator?   I thought everyone smoked them or fried the tail.  
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,080 AG
    Poached gator?   I thought everyone smoked them or fried the tail.  
    I know.... You definately fry the tail but I only poach the eggs...but you need to leave the yolk a little runny...LOL 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,329 Officer

LOL!  I was wading in the Banana River N of Pineda Causeway just after daylight and had 2 trout on a very long stringer (guess why a very long stringer). A smallish 6-7 footer did a sneak attack on me and grabbed the fish before I even knew he was there. Then just a couple years ago I was wading down near Honest Johns Fishcamp in about crotch deep water when a big 11-12 footer surfaced close enough to touch with my spinning rod. He laid there and we had a staring contest for about 5 minutes then he slowly started for the mangroves. I rapidly started for the car!
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,294 Officer
    Got some interesting folks on here.  
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,020 AG
    fish_stix said:

LOL!  I was wading in the Banana River N of Pineda Causeway just after daylight and had 2 trout on a very long stringer (guess why a very long stringer). A smallish 6-7 footer did a sneak attack on me and grabbed the fish before I even knew he was there. Then just a couple years ago I was wading down near Honest Johns Fishcamp in about crotch deep water when a big 11-12 footer surfaced close enough to touch with my spinning rod. He laid there and we had a staring contest for about 5 minutes then he slowly started for the mangroves. I rapidly started for the car!
    I hope you cleaned the poo out of your drawers before getting in the car. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 8,928 Admiral
    edited September 10 #18

I was fishing the Banana River in a kayak years ago and a huge one kept moving to intercept me. I don't think he was planning to eat me, just didn't want me there and was willing to kick my ****. Made no difference to me, I started to alter course to go about 200 yds around him.  He motored out to intercept me again. I said f it and reversed course.  He was all puffed up, tail up, head up and was moving very quickly for a 12-ft gator.  He was really a d!ck, is what it comes down to.

Another time, duck hunting up on the NIRL, I came across tracks that looked like they were left by a dinosaur. My shoes are size 12, these hind foot tracks were at least 18 inches long. I was not comfortable after that.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,329 Officer
    Years ago, 70s and 80s, we lived beachside in Floridana Beach. There was an abandoned marina near Long Point Park where I occasionally waded around. One afternoon I found a huge dead gator floating next to the marina dock. Someone had taught him a fatal lesson with a large caliber weapon!  I called the Marine patrol and they showed up to remove and investigate. We measured the gator at 14' and I think I've seen his twin brother around Long Point several times. Makes getting in the water a little puckerish sometimes! I should relate that my Dad was a licensed gator trapper in S. FL and then in St. Lucie County when we moved there in 1957. I've been around the critters for a long time; I'm 75 now. I don't trust them ever, but this is Florida and they own the place; you just have to get used to it or move (back) north! :)