Boat Prices II: Upgrading costs, thoughts?

SuperMutuSuperMutu Posts: 122 Deckhand
I am curious about your experiences with the following...

Repowering
Upgrading electronics
Adding t-top
Other upgrades improvements?

I keep coming back to a Ranger bay in my early searching, research.  However, at this point not one has all the things I would like and perhaps things that in your experiences would be convenient or make it more fishable.

Obviously the boats I'm finding now will not be the exact boats available when I'm ready to buy.

What I have found, for example is a 2006 Ranger 24 with 250 Yamaha (1100 hours).  Assuming it was properly maintained, what is the life expectancy of this motor?  What are the approximate costs to rebuild it vs. repower?  Which would you do?

This particular boat does not have a t-top, which I would prefer.  Any recommendations on fabricators to build one, which shops to steer away from?

Electronics....good shops to do the work?  What would I be looking at to have a large display unit and linked t-motor installed?

I have so many questions!  I've read through pages of this forum.

Thanks guys.  

Replies

• SuperMutuSuperMutu Posts: 122 Deckhand
    Looking like I can expect around $2000 for a t top.

Minn kotas can only connect to humminbird?  
  • BwarrenBwarren Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    I’ve had several motors rebuilt running my old bassboats. It was cheaper to rebuild them rather than replace. They ran just about as long but then again my motors were built to run wide open non stop.  So life expantcy wasn’t what the normal guy would do. 

I cant help you with a fabricator for the top. 

As as far as electronics they are pretty easy to install. Even doing a flush mount they are pretty straight forward. 

Hooking up your NMEA cables to your motor and plotter are easy as well. My motor was pretty much plug and play. 
  • InstaGatorInstaGator Posts: 86 Greenhorn
    SuperMutu:

As I recall from your 1st post this was going to be your asthma boat.  With that in mind, my comment about keeping a used motor with 1100 hrs vs rebuild, reporter, if it was me I would reporter if for no other reason than piece of mind.  I live in West Palm beach and the top T-Top fabricator (in my opinion) is birdsall marine.  If they are too far for you I would suggest contacting them to see if there is anyone they recommend in your area.  As far as how long will a 1100 hr engine last, who knows.  I know some with well over 1000hr that still run like champs nd other with less that breakdown all the time.  I think a lot of this has to do with how maintained they were as well as how they were used.  To me it is too much like a crap shooot.  Birdsall Marine can also install your electronics.  Best of luck
  • shamrock1188shamrock1188 Posts: 231 Deckhand
    "Assuming it was properly maintained, what is the life expectancy of this motor?" Buying used you never can assume anything. Buying used is a crap shot. If you buy new and maintain properly you should have no problem  getting 20 years or 2,000 hours out of a motor. If a motor is run wide open all the time it will not last long. Running 75% power will give you a lot long life. Better to repower then rebuild.
  • mattb78mattb78 Posts: 166 Deckhand
    I would ask 1) how much you are sold on a Ranger boat and 2) how reliable do you need the boat to be?

If you know this is the exact boat you want, and you are running it offshore, just repower and have peace of mind for the next decade.

If you are just tooling about and breaking down isn't life threatening, do the 1000 hour service, join seatow, and run it till it breaks.

In short, a re-power is a real commitment to the boat and it should be just how you want it.

I would advise to have a service done and run the boat for a few years.

• surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,000 Captain
    edited July 18 #7
    If the price is right, then it might be worth it but, you should consider that a motor with 1000 + hours on it is getting near it's life expectancy, it could go another 500 hours or it could die tomorrow. 500 hours is 5 - 10 years for a causal recreational user. Time is also a big factor and usually harder on the motor than hours.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.