Cast net size advice?

On our trip this past week my cast net was shredded 2 different times with sharks getting caught in the net.  I have 6 very, very large holes.  I have always thrown a 8 ft net but thinking of going to a 10 ft half inch mesh to get down quicker.  I had trouble all week with bait running out from under the net.  What size nets do you guys suggest for deeper water on larger sized white baits?  As always, thanks in advance for any tips or advice.

Replies

• MangroovinMangroovin Posts: 89 Greenhorn
    Inshore I use 8' 1/4" mesh.  Offshore to 20 feet a 10' 3/8" works good for me.  1/2" will definitely sink faster.  Thankfully I haven't netted a shark yet.  That definitely isn't good.

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,864 Captain
    That's exactly how I'm set up - the 1/4" for less than four feet of water (some days a lot less....) and the bigger net for finger mullet or greenies out in water that's deeper... 

By the way many tackle shops will have a connection with someone that repairs nets... so you might be able to get that torn net made new again with a bit of luck...  Me, I'm forever tossing my nets on downed trees that you couldn't see (the coast of the 'glades between Lostman's and Cape Sable most days)... and they're hard on nets as well....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • jbsrqjbsrq Posts: 207 Deckhand
    10' 3/8 1.5lbs per foot inshore and 12' 5/8 2.5lbs per foot for offshore.