Red tide Placida

Replies

• kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,741 Captain
    I just left Boca... cut my stay short due to the red tide.  It's bad... but if you go south to Captiva and beyond it gets better.  
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • IjigIjig Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    What's it going to take to clear this red tide up? I see that the winds are supposed to switch to North and East the next couple days, has to be better than this infernal West wind right?
  • ccriderccrider Posts: 522 Officer
    Water quality was horrible this morning, ran from causeway up north of blind pass before I found any water worth fishing, sight fishing was definitely out of the question and catching bait was pretty much blind throwing. We ran out to about 25-28ft. and found large schools of threadfin and a few rolling poons after lots of searching.  We set up and jumped about 90lb fish before **** unbuttoned and that was it, not another bump. Tried live threadfin, pinfish, cut mullet and artificial had one good hit on a doa swiming mullet but pretty sure it was a Jack or Spanish mack which we got into here and there. 
  • John WJohn W Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    The beach on Boca Grande is horrible.  Dead fish cover the beach with two tide lines jammed with dead fish.  Smells and coughing from red tide is intense this morning.  Lots of threadfin, croakers and small trout dead, but also saw a lot of small flounder, small grouper, and a @30 inch snook dead as well.

Launched the boat at Placida ramp yesterday afternoon and ran through railroad trestle to Boca Grande village.  Lots of dead fish everywhere around BG causeway but water and red tide smell got much better as I ran south; water was OK near the Gasparilla Inn golf course.

going to run south today to try & find a clean beach.  I’ll update later.
    Yesterday the inshore water was ok anywhere south of BGP.  The beaches on North Captiva were mostly clear of dead fish, and are nice.  Boca Grande Pass smelled like a dumpster with a tideline of rotting fish.  

No tarpon off the beach at Boca Grande, but I’m seeing bait and porpoises this morning....I think the issue at this point is mostly dead rotting fish, versus active red tide in this area.

the rain last night + an east wind and big tides is helping.  But if you want a day at the beach you need to head south of Boca Grande.
    John W said:
    Yesterday the inshore water was ok anywhere south of BGP.  The beaches on North Captiva were mostly clear of dead fish, and are nice.  Boca Grande Pass smelled like a dumpster with a tideline of rotting fish.  

No tarpon off the beach at Boca Grande, but I’m seeing bait and porpoises this morning....I think the issue at this point is mostly dead rotting fish, versus active red tide in this area.

the rain last night + an east wind and big tides is helping.  But if you want a day at the beach you need to head south of Boca Grande.
    Yeah the pass was bad this morning with dead fish, washing up with every wave. saw several big snook cruising the surf line, which is good considering it's been lifeless in there for several days. Water is a lot cleaner though. What's up with all the different types of crabs swimming around the surf today? 
  • C F MikeC F Mike Posts: 138 Deckhand
    edited June 25 #38
    Does anyone know if the Red Tide goes any distance offshore outside of Stump Pass??.  We have a week trip planned at Buchan's Landing in Lemon Bay starting on 6-30.   Also hoping its not to bad in Lemon Bay for the ride in and out. Or at Buchans for our week stay.

Any info will help
    Thanks,  Mike
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,741 Captain
    C F Mike said:
    Does anyone know if the Red Tide goes any distance offshore outside of Stump Pass??.  We have a week trip planned at Buchan's Landing in Lemon Bay starting on 6-30.   Also hoping its not to bad in Lemon Bay for the ride in and out. Or at Buchans for our week stay.

Any info will help
    Thanks,  Mike
    I've heard it's fine once you're a few miles out but can't confirm.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • Big BulldogBig Bulldog Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    I will be in Boca next week, so this thread is very helpful.  Keep the reports coming and I will give updates as well once I get down there.
    Still lots of dead fish on the beach, in the canals, in the backcountry and in the pass around Boca Grande yesterday, and on the beach this morning.  The water seems ok, I don’t think there is a high level of red tide in the water.  But I don’t know how long it will take for these millions of fish to rot.  

Beach conditions are much better than Saturday, the east wind & full moon tides are floating off some of this stuff.  But there’s no way I’m swimming in this stuff.

we fished near Captiva Shoal,  and beached on the south end of Cayo Costa, it is beautiful down there with minimal dead fish.  Caught a bunch of small snook and truot.  I talked to someone who had run out of Stump Pass yesterday, he said it’s horrible up there.  But once you get offshore you are fine.
    John W said:
     I talked to someone who had run out of Stump Pass yesterday, he said it’s horrible up there.  But once you get offshore you are fine.

Thanks,  would anyone know if Lemon bay is bad near Buchan's Landing
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,425 AG
    edited June 27 #43
    The report was red tide was in Stump Pass and Lemon Bay but it hadn't gone north of the bridge (where Buchan's is)....yet.  But it's not far at all.
  • jzgatorjzgator Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    Captiva was clear yesterday. Nowhere near the amount of dead fish and dirty water in BG. 
    Water in the bg pass is very clear and minimal vegetation, beaches on the other hand are a different story. Looks like the fish are starting to move back in too

If anyone has ran out of Stump Pass 5 mile or more or will be in the next couple days could you let us know how the water quality is.

Hope to be fishing out there for a week starting Saturday.
  • Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 655 Officer
    i cant speak for out of Boca area, but we did see quite a few dead  pinfish, sea snakes. grouper and drum that started about 8 miles out from captiva pass...Also got a scratchy feeling in my throat which to me was red tide.... Hate to see this and ll the other reports of death. 
    www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral
  • joekat46joekat46 North PortPosts: 1,922 Captain
    Launched at the Train Station in Venice this morning.  Ran north up the inter coastal and out the Inlet.  Few were fishing the jetties but watched one guy land a snook and another cast netting bait.  Very little red tide there this morning.  Got action from some smaller jacks but nothing else.  Plenty of boats heading west.  As is now s.o.p. for this inlet watched two guys, one on his phone, pass within five feet of each other when they simultaneously reached the "Resume Safe Operation" sign and both cranked it up.  Always an adventure.
    Red tide was diminishing on the beach at BG until yesterday...since then the coughing and throat irritation has gotten worse.  Backcountry fishing is ok but to get clean water with no irritation from red tide, we have been running to Redfish Pass each day.   It’s not a big problem on the backside but it’s still around on the beach at Boca Grande.
  • piratesdreampiratesdream 34224Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    june 30th many dead fish from palm is to placida in intercoastal
  • Firetruck1Firetruck1 Posts: 125 Deckhand
    Planning on fishing inshore/gasparilla sound area on Saturday. Anyone know if red tide is still thick out there? Thanks
  • YGAYGA Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    Lostconch said:
    Wink news and the other local media want to place this solely on the Lake O releases. It is much more than that. My neighborhood on the Peace River got 20 inches of rain in a week . That much rain will turn any river dark. Wink wants to trot out tourists and senior citizens and get them to **** and moan about the Lake O releases. 

Yeah buddy rainwater by itself does not feed karenia brevis (red tide). Freshwater discharges are not directly responsible for red tide but they ARE indirectly responsible for longer and more intense red tide blooms. Karenia brevis benefits from the algae that grows as a result of nutrient-rich water (filled with nitrogen and other fertilizers) being dumped from Lake O. Lake O is not 100% of the problem, but it basically is.
  • YGAYGA Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    Also, for anyone curious. Go look up the effects a brevetoxin has on humans.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,862 Admiral
    YGA said:
    Also, for anyone curious. Go look up the effects a brevetoxin has on humans.
    how about a credible link showing the correlation between red tide and the discharges?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • jaymjaym Posts: 104 Deckhand
    I was on the water today at stump pass and there is pretty significant red tide around and a fish kill over night around the mouth of the pass.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,888 Captain
    I saw that as well
  • WorldOnFlyWorldOnFly Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    I recorded footage of dead black drum drifting east of bg pass, various spread out congregations of dead fish. Well in the upper hundreds if not thousands. I also saw 3 dead tarpon west of the pass.
  • miamidolfinmiamidolfin Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    Red Tide on Captiva beach still...dead fish scattered about.  Did manage to catch some snook at Blind pass however.
  • Firetruck1Firetruck1 Posts: 125 Deckhand
    Is it still bad in Placida sound?
  • ez3puttez3putt Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Is it still bad in Placida sound?
    Stump Pass was pretty bad.  The resident Snook population at the marina left about two weeks ago and still have not returned.  We only went as far south as the miserable mile, but the air quality was not good.  It normally does not bother us, but the wife and I were both coughing occasionally.  Very few floaters along the mm, and I did manage to catch a feisty 18” trout.  Between the wind and the red tide, yesterday was not a very good boating day.