Bokeelia Area Fishing.

My family and I just spent 10 days in Bokeelia.  It took us a couple of days to figure things out but, once we got the chumming for bait down, we never had a problem filling our bait well.  We didn't have any epic days but, our numbers and species count went up a little each day.  We hit a huge bait school in the Two Pines area one day and ended up throwing spoons and catching Spanish Mackerel for over 2 hours.  We hooked into a couple of big Tarpon but did not land either as we weren't really set up for them.  Lost a big Snook in the mangroves as well as a Permit and managed quite a few decent size Mangrove Snapper.  We had never eaten Spanish Mackerel before but man that was delicious grilled.  We had a great time and will definitely go back down.  What a great area!

Replies

• Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,889 Captain
    Glad u had a good time
  • Gypsies CallGypsies Call Posts: 134 Deckhand
    Great report and family time!
    Gypsies Call
    SWO LCDR, USN-Retired
    Sea Chaser 200 Flats Series
    Old Town Predator Kayak
  • dcrdcr Posts: 290 Deckhand
    shhhhh, let's just keep this to ourselves.
  • DfreedomDfreedom Posts: 106 Deckhand

Sorry, I won't tell anyone else.

• Budster4Budster4 Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    I'm going down in two weeks form NC. What is the story with the algae and red tide. Did you see any? Is it a the media drumming up the bad vibes?
  • DfreedomDfreedom Posts: 106 Deckhand
    We were in Bokeelia which is at the north end of Pine island (south end of Charlotte Harbor).  While we saw some floaters out in the harbor area, we saw little evidence of any issues around where we were.  We went up to Boca Grande one day and there were quite a few dead fish.  I spoke with a couple of locals who advised against going north to Bull or Turtle Bay because of the red tide.  I have been getting updates from Florida Fish and Wildlife and based on their reports and the maps, it looks like things are fairly bad from Boca north.
  • TimGleasonTimGleason Posts: 281 Deckhand
    Budster4 said:
    I'm going down in two weeks form NC. What is the story with the algae and red tide. Did you see any? Is it a the media drumming up the bad vibes?
    Bokeelia South has been fine.  North, another story...
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 18,804 AG
    One of my biggest regrets...was selling our vacation place on the water on Pine Island....
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you