Fly Fishing From a Kayak?

ljkljk Posts: 71 Greenhorn
Has anyone tried this? I have done it a couple of times, and it isn't easy!

Came across a seminar on this and thought I would share.

This Saturday at 10AM at Estero River Outfitters, nationally know fly casting instructor Joe Mahler is going to be covering this and other topics. Joe has been written up by many publications as a fly casting "GURU" who says the 2 best ways to improve your fly casting is 1) Fish from a kayak and 2) Throw away your spinning gear!

Estero River Outfitters is at 20991 South Tamiani Trail (Rte 41) in Estero. If any THTers show up, please come up and introduce yourselves. I'll be the one wearing the Tilley hat with bleach stains from killing mold on my pool enclosure!

Cheers,

Replies

• DES51DES51 Posts: 93 Greenhorn
    Are you able to stand up? If not it seems that it would be just about impossible! lol
  • ljkljk Posts: 71 Greenhorn
    Went to the above class on Saturday.  The instructor was able to sit in a kayak and make 50 foot casts, no problem. I can do it somewhat from a sitting postion, but need more practice!
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 2,768 Captain
    I do it all the time. I don't throw 50 feet but I don't think I loose much distance sitting. It kinda makes you make a more pure cast using your arms and the rod to get more distance. But in a kayak you don't need as much distance since you can just paddle closer. I think as you say it just takes getting use to.
  • greenie-slayergreenie-slayer Posts: 737 Officer
    I also do it all the time. Mostly fishing docklights at night. You just need to get use to sitting while casting. Watch your line on the backcast as many anglers let the line drop then it hits the water and ruins your cast. After a while you will find that being able to throw 50' isn't that hard. Rarely will you need to throw that far though.