Lowrance HDS with totalscan giving wrong bottom read

jermboogjermboog New Smyrna beachPosts: 1 Greenhorn
I have a HDS gen 3 with a total scan transducer mounted to a 1720 key West sportsman. The unit gives me an erratic bottom read in even the slightest of chop. I've spoken with lowrance customer service and they have confirmed that it is mounted correctly. They basically said that it is normal for the bottom to mimic waves in a smaller boat but admit it seems extreme. It happens sitting, trolling or running. The only way I can minimize it is by maxing the scroll speed which washes every If that's the case my unit is basically useless because I can not read rock piles or structure unless it's oil slick calm. I'm at a loss and would like to see if anyone here might have a suggestion on what may be wrong or if it something I need to learn to live with. I'm hoping that is not the case, if so I feel like I should have just bought a less expensive unit. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• finbullyfinbully Posts: 470 Deckhand
    Try lowering your ping speed. However that does not look too abnormal to me based on what I can see as the sea state in your picture and the depth you are in.
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 938 Officer
    The picture of the screen looks fine to me.  if the read is intermittant on depth it looks too low to me.  If its too low or too high in the water column it wont read right at speed.  Its very sensitive to small adjustments. I find that it works the best when only about 1/2 of the transducer face is in the water on plane and its near totally level with the surface of the water.  Yours looks like the entire things is below the water surface.  This could cause too much disturbance and and reading problems.
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 897 Officer
    Although the bottom is flat, you will not see it like that unless the surface is also perfectly calm. What your unit  (and all others ) is doing is measuring the distance from the transducer to the bottom. If wave action causes the boat to move up and down even a few inches, that will be shown as what you are now seeing..... the waves will show up as a wavy bottom line because the distance down is not constant.. You can use the "bottom lock" feature if you can't get used to the normal display.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,113 Officer
    I've got a Garmin and get the exact same reading - same ICW.  Nothing wrong with your unit.