best blackfin jigs 200-250 gram?

2»

Replies

• Grady27Grady27 Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    edited June 15 #32
    I love you guys on The Forum.  Never tried vertical jigging before, but wanted to give it a try. First drop, 10 seconds after hit the bottom hooked my first fish on a vertical jig. It was a 23 pound Bonito. By the way, I’ve never seen one that big, is that on the usual side around here? Was fishing Islamorada hump.  Three cast later hooked a good size Almaco. Then went offshore to do my first ever deep dropping, and quickly limited out with tile fish and a snowy grouper. All in all, had a really enjoyable trip out there with my wife. 
  • NorthernNorthern Posts: 748 Officer
    Awesome job Grady!

My biggest Bonito hit on a Wahoo lure....... It was very big.....I was very sure I had a Wahoo on the 1st run..... but it was not a big as the one you are holding.
    Thanks. Anyone know how to shrink these pics on the forum?  I uploaded them from my cellphone. They looked normal there, but are now huge. What am I doing wrong?  
  • AMPEDAMPED Posts: 596 Officer
    Northern said:
    If the wrecks are under 250 ft and the Tuna seem to be running under 12#s I like 100 to 170 gram jigs. Both speed and flutter jigs work at this depth. When the wrecks are deeper than that, and the Tuna tend to run larger, 200 to 300 grams jigs seem to be the ticket for me. Especially long skinny speed jigs about 8 inches long.

Harlan, swing by our house and I'll go through the jigs with you.
    That about sums it up.
    2016 39 Sea Vee
    2008 37 Ocean Billfish
    2005 30 Grady-White Marlin
    1993 27 Ultress Catamaran
    1985 Grady-White Trophy
  • NorthernNorthern Posts: 748 Officer
    Grady27 said:
    Thanks. Anyone know how to shrink these pics on the forum?  I uploaded them from my cellphone. They looked normal there, but are now huge. What am I doing wrong?  
    Grady....  It is caused by the browser that you are viewing them on.  If I access this forum through Yahoo, for example, the pictures that you posted appear HUGE!   If I access this forum through Google Chrome, the pictures that you posted are sized perfectly.  The problem isn't what you posted, but rather what you are using to view them.
    Thanks a lot Northern.  That makes sense.  They look normal on my cellphone and my one computer screen.
  • rmeladine1982rmeladine1982 Posts: 40 Greenhorn
    That is one nice Bonito. Looks like you were using our 200 gram flat sided jigs. 
    You are correct. First cast, soon as raised off bottom. When will your 250 grams be back in stock?  
  • rmeladine1982rmeladine1982 Posts: 40 Greenhorn
    Grady27 said:
    You are correct. First cast, soon as raised off bottom. When will your 250 grams be back in stock?  
    The middle of August. 
  • One Named Fishin'One Named Fishin' Key WestPosts: 26 Greenhorn
    250 is a little heavy for tuna, tough they will hit them. If the current is light, go smaller😉
    Thanks for the input.  I have some smaller, just not larger.  Current can make it tough to get down to the zone, though.
  • benwah22benwah22 Posts: 80 Greenhorn
    250 is a little heavy for tuna, tough they will hit them. If the current is light, go smaller😉

There is no such thing as too heavy of a jig for a species.  Match the jig to the conditions, and if that requires a heavier jig, so be it.  I've caught tuna on the bottom in 700ft of water using a 400g jig.  It's the action of the jig, not the weight.
    Instagram:  @mrbennyortiz
    Temple Reef Pro Team
    Aftco Pro Team
    Slow Pitch Jigger
    Occasional Fish Catcher
2»