Any reports for downtown to shands area

hi all.  My last trip we fished our way from mayport to downtown.  I just now finally washed the skunk smell out of my fishing clothes ... I have a buddy coming to town Friday, and want to make an early Saturday trip. Any reports from my part of the river? I was thinking about trying the cca reef at fuller Warren or hitting marker 18. 

Any my reports or suggestions.

Replies

• Cast_N_BlastCast_N_Blast JaxPosts: 1,350 Officer
    Fished the downtown area last week and caught two small reds and all of the yellowmouth trout you could want.
  • artrecord224artrecord224 Posts: 117 Deckhand
    edited June 2018 #3
    Thanks cnb! Any suggestions? I was thinking of trying the cca reef with fresh dead shrimp, either on the bottom with a sinker slide, or under popping corks. My last skulking really pointed out how much I don't know. Would appreciate any tips.
    I throw a lot of artificial around downtown.. rapala x raps and white gulp swim baits on 1/4 oz jig heads. I went again last night to do some prefishing for the Clay Roberts tounrey on Saturday and only found 1 14" trout in my usual spots. Im thinking all of this rain has pushed everything out closer to the inlet. I have never dropped a line at the CCA reef, every time I try to fish it, there is too much wind and that part of the river gets choppy quick. 
  • jimmy06jimmy06 Posts: 1,241 Officer
    I throw a lot of artificial around downtown.. rapala x raps and white gulp swim baits on 1/4 oz jig heads. I went again last night to do some prefishing for the Clay Roberts tounrey on Saturday and only found 1 14" trout in my usual spots. Im thinking all of this rain has pushed everything out closer to the inlet. I have never dropped a line at the CCA reef, every time I try to fish it, there is too much wind and that part of the river gets choppy quick. 

Plenty of yellow mouths and sea trout around. Me and my nephew caught them yesterday after the rain. Was using  morning glory paddle tail on 1/4 oz jig. You probably could wear the yellow mouth out on cut Filet of croaka by the reef
    Heck yeah, Jimmy! I've got yellow mouth spots that I can catch them on a bare hook, but the speckled have evaded me. 
    Wow, Jimmy. That’s a delicious mess of dinner there. Hopefully I have a pic to share Saturday. Did you catch them downtown?
  • po28derpo28der Posts: 266 Deckhand
    I guess I need to start giving that area of the river attention again. I would love to find a few spots where I don’t need to go out to mayport to catch a fish. 
    Cast’N’Blast and Jimmy - any suggestions for tomorrow AM? Right now, I’m planning to fish FDS either on the bottom or under popping corks. Maybe jigs or blue crab. Thinking CCA/Holt reef or maybe Ortega point. Water at NAS looks like chocolate milk. But, I’m off tomorrow, so I gotta try.
  • JesseKJesseK JACKSONVILLEPosts: 47 Greenhorn
    i have been wanting to fish the cca and holt. H
    as anyone fished them recently?
  • dholleydholley Posts: 91 Greenhorn
    Water in the river south of downtown is very dirty right now. Too much wind and rain. Did catch some lower slot redfish around docks this weekend, but not nearly as many as the past few years.

Went by CCA reef on Saturday and didn't mark anything, so we didn't even bother to fish it.
    Well, no dinner, but we did catch a small catfish and a small stingray. It's a start. Better than total skunk. We fished CCA/Holt/FW early in the outgoing. Water was flat but stained. .3 salinity, so still very fresh. Tried fresh blue crab on a 3/0 and FDS on a 2/0. The two throwbacks were on FDS. I've never fished with crab, so I'm not sure I'm doing it right. 
    I should ask the group, I’m bottom fishing with sinker slides and bank weights, or using Carolina rigs and slow retrieve. Is that the right style of fishing, or should I use popping corks to get up in the water column?
  • RadJagRadJag Posts: 44 Greenhorn
    You looking for food or just to catch? If the latter, I’ve been seeing Big school of jacks just south of the Fuller Warren and off Beauclerc point. Fun to catch, been tearing up white soft bodied lures or brightly colored jig heads or on spoons. Look for the big groups of birds diving at the bait fish, and the jacks will be blowing up the water. I’ve had the best luck in the late afternoon/ early evenings. A ton of fun for kids or others just starting to get into fish. Constant action. 
    Thanks radjag. We didn’t see any birds Saturday morning. I’ll make sure to carry some white soft bodies
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,573 Captain
    The reefs have been slow lately, they should turn on soon with yellowmouth and mangroves, followed by reds, drum and sheepshead.
    Thanks, slacker. I'm watching the salinity at downtown. I assume when it goes up is my clue, right? Is fresh  dead shrimp on the bottom good for mangroves and yellow mouth?
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,573 Captain
    yellowmouth hit almost anything, I like cut bait best
    mangroves are picky, good dead shrimp will work but live are better
    i did not find anybody on the reefs yesterday. My bait was not very good either.
    some jacks schooling in the San Marco area
    I could not find shrimp in San Marco or Drs Inlet
    I think when the shrimp show up everything will turn on

any day now
    i Am going out on the 4th before everyone wakes up. 
    Thanks, slacker. I'm out of town with family for the 4th. Hopefully back on the water Friday afternoon. 

Let us us know what's happening, please, po28der.
    I did not make it out this morning because the weather man was calling for rain and thunderstorms we will see what tomorrow brings. 
    Ok i fished this morning on the out going. I hit several spots from the buckman to downtown. NOthing much. Reefs where nada. I got a few croakers and a few rat reds at a new spot.