Gog catching etiquette was I at fault?

Was fishing for gogs out of Boca around 5am this sunday. Bite was a little slow so tried moving about 30-40 yards from the commercial bait boat. Heard the commercial guy screaming but could not make out what the guy was saying due to my motor running.

Next thing I know the commercial guys fire up his boat, turns off all his light and buzzes us on a full plane about 4-5 feet from our small craft spraying us with his wake.

I am used to catching pilchards in the inlet where it is elbow to elbow and I thought there was plenty of room between me and the other boat.  I have spoken to this bait guy (white 23 seacraft with blue stripe in front) few years ago at the boca ramp and he seemed like a nice guy! 

Did I break some unwritten rule for gog fishing or the guy was just having a bad day? 

fishfullthinking

Replies

• Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,437 Captain
    edited July 2 #2
    A while back while catching Gogs around 5AM out of LWI, I was mixed in with 10 to 15 other boats. I crossed behind a commercial guy who was slow trolling a double sabicki unknown to me. I cut his line and didn't know it. He actually was pretty cool headed and nothing was said. I think stuff like that will happen.
    Off Jupiter Inlet doing the same thing, we were getting Gogs when nobody else was. It was a circus out there as other boats would see you catching, then, next thing you are dodging these Googans as they are running over you... Came close to hitting a boat that morning, my fault, while glued to the bottom machine I turned toward him. He yelled Hey! and I was able to stop in time. It's a free for all, and we just need to be tolerant and careful.
    Had another guy do the same thing to us as your experience. Was mad that we were 'near' him, started cussing us out, then left the area by making a high speed run at us and turning at the last minute. Very reckless.

I get it that commercial guys are making their living, but I have as much right to be there as they do...

Nowadays, I try to only fish on weekdays. 

Pura Vida!
  • MGDMGD Posts: 1,016 Officer
    Did u happen to cut across his lines. They are pretty far back.
    And when there are multiple boats trolling in a pattern, try to join the pattern, not go against or cross it

• Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 2,966 Captain
    Never knew you trolled for them. Maybe that's why it takes me so long to catch them
  • OwlseyOwlsey Posts: 316 Deckhand
    I give you credit for even being concerned that you may have messed up. I wasn't there. Just keep doing what you do . Be mindful of others. Everything will be fine. Can't count how many times I've messed up without trying.
  • CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 346 Deckhand
    edited July 3 #6
    Welcome to the dance!  ;) 

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• xeniaxenia Posts: 261 Deckhand
    You should have been around back in the early 80's when a couple dozen commercial boats were trying to catch live pilchards around Haulover and Newport piers with cast nets while the pier guys lobbed sinkers at them.  Back then I never bought sinkers, I just got close to the pier and pulled out my net and let the sinkers land on the deck.  Once I had enough, I was ready for fishing!  Can't help you with the gogs, since I've never caught them that way, but I think you got some good suggestions already.
  • b1gdog83b1gdog83 Posts: 104 Deckhand
    Was fishing for gogs out of Boca around 5am this sunday. Bite was a little slow so tried moving about 30-40 yards from the commercial bait boat. Heard the commercial guy screaming but could not make out what the guy was saying due to my motor running.

Next thing I know the commercial guys fire up his boat, turns off all his light and buzzes us on a full plane about 4-5 feet from our small craft spraying us with his wake.

I am used to catching pilchards in the inlet where it is elbow to elbow and I thought there was plenty of room between me and the other boat.  I have spoken to this bait guy (white 23 seacraft with blue stripe in front) few years ago at the boca ramp and he seemed like a nice guy! 

Did I break some unwritten rule for gog fishing or the guy was just having a bad day? 

fishfullthinking

That guy has problems I fish for gogs out of Boca Inlet also.  I've seen the exact same behavior from that guy with the blue stripe on multiple occasions.  He thinks he owns the whole inlet and screams at everyone that gets near him. I've also seem him buzz other boats with no lights on.  I wouldnt take it personal you just crossed paths with some guy with anger issues.
  • fishfullthinkingfishfullthinking Posts: 62 Greenhorn
    b1gdog83,

Thanks for clearing this up. I was not even close to is lines. 30-40 yards at least . Very strange behavior especially turning lights off while buzzing me since I know the exact boat and see him every weekend selling bait.

One day will end up dgoing to do that to somebody else with anger issues and it will not end up well.

fishfullthinking
  • CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 346 Deckhand
    edited July 3 #10
    Boat rage is the new road rage.... :/

"Fools give full vent to their rage, but the wise bring calm in the end." ~ Jewish proverb

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• Gary MGary M Posts: 13,116 AG
    Flight Risk said:

we were getting Gogs when nobody else was. It was a circus out there as other boats would see you catching, then, next thing you are dodging these Googans as they are running over you... 

Take a cowling off an engine and watch them run! 
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 595 Officer
    I was one of those netting bait at the piers back in the 80's and encountered quite a few individuals who thought they were safe hiding on the pier and throwing sinkers at the boats. It was settled on a few occasions and subsequently Metro cops had to intervene. Really crazy when you think about the damage a pyramid sinker can do to the head. It's fishing, not real life!
  • turftechturftech Posts: 312 Deckhand
    I used to go out of Boynton back in the mid 80's to early 90's to troll for Gogs. You find them in a certain depth and then work tha depth trolling north and south covering an area around a hundred yards. I don't know if he was doing the same thing but if he was, he could have stopped and explained the situation to you.
    2200v pathfinder and various rods and reels, ford f150 and various rifles, shotguns, and handguns.
    Ready to fish, Ready to hunt...