opinion on key largo boats

sigiiligansigiiligan Posts: 87 Greenhorn
looking at a 2014 key largo 16' CC with trailer and 60HP merc on the back. Any opinions/ feed back on boat manufacturer would be greatly appreciated. Asking price is 15K

Replies

• FlfjackFlfjack Posts: 646 Officer
    Great value in them from what i've heard. Really depends what you're looking for. KW is a well known manufacturer and their smaller boats seem to be their bread and butter. One made in the last few years with recent merc 4 stroke power to match would likely ensure years of reliable use if basic maintenance is performed. 
    East Boynton
    IG jack.bbi
  • sigiiligansigiiligan Posts: 87 Greenhorn
    Thanks Jack.
  • squidvicioussquidvicious Posts: 502 Officer
    key largo,palm beach,polar - these are the disposable lighters of boats.these things are all built similar.they're cheap,low quality.they're a good "starter" boat.
    can we please stop using the word ISSUE ? it's a PROBLEM
    :wink
  • quest450quest450 Posts: 77 Greenhorn
    I made a mi$take and bought palm beach years ago, total waste of time and money.......buy nice or buy twice IMO
  • Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 624 Officer
    be careful with the foam becoming soggy and wet... They are a no frills boat, good for an entry level, good at a few things, master of none...  60 is actualy probably light on power for it... a good friend of mine had one with the 90 2 stroke yamaha... was a good power plant, but almost could have used the max 115 hp it was rated for when running with 2 big guys, gear and livewell. cut chop well, just didnt seem to like the extra weight.... draft was good when solo fishing... 2-3 guys, not so much... if your not trying to fish sub 2.5-3 ft of water, itll work great for you. troling motor on the bow a must... good luck!!
    www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral
  • MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 1,490 Officer
    I looked hard at key largo and key west boats a few years back.  I needed something that could fit in garage ( with swing tongue) 

quality may have changed recently; but the key west looked to be much better quality in the late 90s/ mid 2000s IMHO.   I ended up with a 1720 key west.  I've been very happy with it, and am glad with the purchase. 

for 15k$, you might find a better quality, older boat.. Just my .02
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,540 AG
    Really nice used Key West can be had with bells and whistles at reasonable prices.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 1,490 Officer
    * I have been on an older 16ft key largo and can say that my 17ft key west rides far far better... perhaps the hull design is different on the newer key largos...(and 1ft longer can matter obviously)

Im not trying to sway you from buying a boat that you like.  But, for 15$K, I would look hard at a different namebrand imho..  

Do you have size limitations? i.e. for garage space etc..?
  • sigiiligansigiiligan Posts: 87 Greenhorn
    Guys thanks for all the replies. My dilemma began when I sold my 1997 seastrike, I was the one and only owner (bought a house). Price of the key largo is what caught my eye, but the heck if I can even find a key largo website to provide info like draft etc... Think I'll hold off for something used but better boat... Financing is unfortunately the other issue.
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 3,748 Captain
    Key West and Key Largo are not even close. Seems to be some misunderstanding here.
  • AttitudeIndicatorAttitudeIndicator Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    I have a 2001 206 Key largo and love it. from what I understand its the old sea craft potter hulls. runs great for a small center console and I take it to the Bahamas a few times a year, never felt unsafe in it.... not sure on the newer ones tho 
  • ReelHazardReelHazard Posts: 111 Deckhand
    For that size boat/budget, I would encourage you to look up a used 18' Grady White dual or center console. Besides being a GW, for its size, they come with a lot of nice features (double battery switch, 20gal potable water washdown hose, etc.). Solid hull with a carolina flair...
  • rehartlinerehartline Posts: 722 Officer
    edited July 4 #14
    I’ve got a 2004 Key Largo 1860DC. It’s sort of an oddball model compared to their standard line but it’s been a great boat. They a still on the market but have a different owner, Caravelle Boat Group. I think they were known for copying hull designs back in the day. I haven’t had any issues and it’s been drug all over the place. There’s a bunch of them out on the water.