Fly Fishing from a Kayak?

Has anyone tried this? I have done it a couple of times, and it isn't easy!

Came across a seminar on this and thought I would share.

This Saturday at 10AM at Estero River Outfitters, nationally know fly casting instructor Joe Mahler is going to be covering this and other topics. Joe has been written up by many publications as a fly casting "GURU" who says the 2 best ways to improve your fly casting is 1) Fish from a kayak and 2) Throw away your spinning gear!

Estero River Outfitters is at 20991 South Tamiani Trail (Rte 41) in Estero. If any THTers show up, please come up and introduce yourselves. I'll be the one wearing the Tilley hat with bleach stains from killing mold on my pool enclosure!

Cheers,

Replies

• flyjuiceflyjuice Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    I used to fly fish strictly by kayak while living on the space coast and fishing the no motor zone and mosquito lagoon.

It's very do-able and quite enjoyable once you get the hang of it. Kayaks are a great way to get close to spooky fish.

While casting in sitting position the key is to keep your rod tip high and not to let it drop during your forward and back casts. Make sure the surface of your kayak in front of you is clear to lay your line on, so you don't get tangled up. Better yet, use a small stripping basket/bucket. 

And yes, ditch the spinning gear and strictly bring your fly gear ONLY if you're going out. When I first started fly fishing I used to bring both spin and fly rods. I always found my self falling back on the spin rod when getting frustrated on the fly. Even if there is moderate wind, stick to the fly rod. Adapt and approach the fish differently. Once you practice enough and manage to site cast fish successfully, you won't even think about using a spin rod anymore. 
  • billdbilld Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    I frequently fly fish from my kayak. I primarily fish the rivers and creeks surrounding Estero bay in winter for juvi tarpon. Some lessonsI have learned over the past few years:

i fish from a stripped down kayak with a minimum of items to tangle the fly line. It is basically just a empty hull with a beach chair.

getting a little elevation makes the casting and fish spotting much easier.

i use a small anchor to hold the kayak in place when I find fish and will tie it off either side depending on wind, tide and casting location.

i mostly fish a floating line since it is easier to pickup and cast. I adjust my fly depth based on type of fly, and speed of retrieve.

it is important to minimize noise.

landing fish I find tricky. Although I use 9 foot fly rods, either a 8 or 10 wt. I think the 8 ft rods would be much easier to land fish on.

good luck
  • ljkljk Posts: 62 Greenhorn
    Thanks for your posts.  Gonna keep doing this, but not exclusively!  Its fun, but, for me at least, not the most productive way to fish.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,888 Captain
    Its fun once you get the hang of it