Your View of Florida. Tell Us.

FS DavidFS David Posts: 296 Deckhand

Discharges. Fish kills. Land grabs and new regulations. Florida Sportsman has mounted its first ever survey on conservation and environmental issues. What are your concerns? Join the Florida Sportsman Panel and tell us what you think: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/RZMHD76

Replies

• vernonvernon Posts: 48 Greenhorn
    state and local need to preserve more shoreline for fishing.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,689 Captain
    Water Quality needs to improve and the amount of poaching going on is entirely too high.
  • aboveboredabovebored Posts: 1,227 Officer
    Too many traps junking up the reefs and channels in the keys.
  • XafXaf Posts: 956 Officer
    If Florida wants to return to what it was initially known for,  land rich in hunting and fishing opportunities, it needs to take drastic measures. Florida needs to become a leader in conservation and enforcement.  Without an exerted effort Florida's lakes, rivers and beaches will become cesspools with rundown condos lined up one after another.   There will be no fish and no fishing industry.  We will be known for theme parks and cruise terminals to other destinations.  
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,475 Captain
    Xaf said:
    If Florida wants to return to what it was initially known for,  land rich in hunting and fishing opportunities, it needs to take drastic measures. Florida needs to become a leader in conservation and enforcement.  Without an exerted effort Florida's lakes, rivers and beaches will become cesspools with rundown condos lined up one after another.   There will be no fish and no fishing industry.  We will be known for theme parks and cruise terminals to other destinations.  
    It's been heading that way for the last 50-60 yrs.  Too many people for the land to support.
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 1,425 Officer
    stc1993 said:
    Xaf said:
    It's been heading that way for the last 50-60 yrs.  Too many people for the land to support.

I agree.  Florida is over populated and fished too hard.  All the green lawns and golf courses treated with fertilizer doesn't help.  I didn't really just how 'bad' Florida fishing has gotten until I started hitting North Carolina hard.  In 2 hours fishing NC I can catch what takes me 8 hours in Florida, if I am lucky.    
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,475 Admiral
    kellercl said:
    stc1993 said:
    Xaf said:

I agree.  Florida is over populated and fished too hard.  All the green lawns and golf courses treated with fertilizer doesn't help.  I didn't really just how 'bad' Florida fishing has gotten until I started hitting North Carolina hard.  In 2 hours fishing NC I can catch what takes me 8 hours in Florida, if I am lucky.    
    amazing and NC still has a booming inshore commercial gillnet fishery.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Ron@.38 Special[email protected] Special Posts: 6,759 Admiral
    Land Base sources of pollution.

By far #1 problem. STA's do a lot, but only Big sugar water and some Lake O water goes there. In South Florida, our outer edge of population need long strips of treatment areas for both stormwater and advance sewage treatment.

The more you could filter there, the better our coasts and oceans would be.

One good thing for our coast,? Southeast Florida Coral Reef Conservation Area. Lets see if this law can work and help our coastal waters from Martin Country to Key Biscayne.
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 753 Officer

By far #1 problem. STA's do a lot, but only Big sugar water and some Lake O water goes there. In South Florida, our outer edge of population need long strips of treatment areas for both stormwater and advance sewage treatment.

One good thing for our coast,? Southeast Florida Coral Reef Conservation Area. Lets see if this law can work and help our coastal waters from Martin Country to Key Biscayne.

• saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 753 Officer
    edited March 25 #11
    no doubt the problems all stem 99% of the time from the population increase......one thing that seems to pass under the radar is the treatments of lawns and homes for insect control..the stuff might not kill mice in the lab , but how about stuff at the very bottom of the food chain in our waters???
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,000 Captain
    I put the blame for the demise of our wonderful state squarely on Walt Disney!
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • toomertoomer Posts: 316 Deckhand
    I consider myself extremely fortunate to have many vivid pre-Disney memories of Florida.  I daydream about it all the time.  One of the things I miss most was the great quail and dove hunting in eastern Lee and Hendry counties.  
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,192 Admiral
    I grew up here , Great Grandpaw was born in Lake County in the early 1800's.
    I started out in Dade County, Great place , Snook in Oleta River out of a Jonboat, Trapline along the rivers edge. Dad and Grandpa with a 55 gallon still in the Mangroves.
    Hog and Deer hunting on Lykes Bros land. ..Free hunting, 5 dollar permit..all of it.
    Now, Really just to many people and the resource is stretched to thin.
    Disney didn't help  with the poor water quality flowing South , neither did millions of Acres of Orange Groves and Cattle..Plus 3 freakin Million people in Miami alone....
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,209 Officer
    My thoughts are that it shouldn`t be too much longer before Florida breaks off and sinks. I`m betting the fracture line will run just north and parallel to I- 4....................
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,000 Captain
    That would suck since it wouldn't solve the problem, Disney World is north of I-4.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 485 Deckhand
    edited June 5 #17
    I'm a fifth gen cracker.  Both my dad and I were born in tampa.  He was born in 1941.  When my dad was a kid, he used to go down to the river (hillsborough) and pull oysters out and eat em right there on the spot...  The bay was crystal clear and covered in grass...

By the time I was a kid (born 76), those days were gone.  BUT, there was still 'real' and wild florida smack dab in the middle of pinellas county.  There were deer roaming around and no speak of coyotes. 

Now, those days are gone.  Most of the woods I used to explore are ALL neighborhoods now.  The rest are municipal parks with paved streets, playgrounds and manicured landscapes, complete with bathroom facilities and trash collection....

And guess what?  It's coming to a town near you..
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,026 Captain
    Overpopulation.
    ”Growth” assumed “Inevitable”.
    Citizen’s lack of understanding in their role and influence with land use plans,planning, need to restore and expand citizen role, monitor Development interests “ Planner & Consultant” role.
    Lack of state conservation lands expansion funding.
    Lack of “News”....... not so much “fake” news, but lack of news coverage.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • theUtheU The Orlando SewerPosts: 32 Greenhorn
    I had the privilege to fish the Indian River and  the Martin and St Lucie County beaches before the total ecological collapse. It makes me very depressed that future generations will not get to witness the incredible snook blitzes on the beach or up tight to the mangroves on the River. There was a time that you could sight cast schools of Redfish between Fort  Pierce and the St Lucie Inlet.  Those days are long gone thanks to the relentless assault of the river from Orlando Sewer Dumps. The water pollution in Stuart was so bad that we sold the Stuart house, Pathfinder, Kayaks and most of the fishing gear. Bought a vacation home in the Outer Banks NC. Acres of grass flats where you can sight fish multi schools of hungry redfish from May to October. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,220 Admiral
    theU said:
    I had the privilege to fish the Indian River and  the Martin and St Lucie County beaches before the total ecological collapse. It makes me very depressed that future generations will not get to witness the incredible snook blitzes on the beach or up tight to the mangroves on the River. There was a time that you could sight cast schools of Redfish between Fort  Pierce and the St Lucie Inlet.  Those days are long gone thanks to the relentless assault of the river from Orlando Sewer Dumps. The water pollution in Stuart was so bad that we sold the Stuart house, Pathfinder, Kayaks and most of the fishing gear. Bought a vacation home in the Outer Banks NC. Acres of grass flats where you can sight fish multi schools of hungry redfish from May to October. 
    i wouldn't mention that, you'll start seeing flocks of florida tagged boats heading north! 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 485 Deckhand
    edited June 20 #21
    No question that NC is loaded with reds :P
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,220 Admiral
    Eventually there will be a closed season statewide on all species.    It will be C&R only for a few months.   There are just too many people, not enough resources.  Fish like Red Snapper get mismanaged, too many different interests and livelihoods at stake. It sucks this state is eventually going to be polluted and overfished into oblivion.    Sucks because growing up I remember reading about the good times, but i'll never get to experience them. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    spangler said:
    and they still have a commercial fishery for them too..

Amazing isn't it!
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,556 Captain
    Florida needs to build a big beautiful wall.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 10,439 AG
    It will be great.
    Make Florida great again
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
    ANUMBER1 said:
    spangler said:

Amazing isn't it!

Yes Amazing it is!! The main differences are; high rise excrement factories are not dotted along every shoreline and polluted runoff from Disney World. For the record channel b**** (Red Drum) are the adopted as the official State salt water fish of the State of North Carolina.. There is only is a 10 fish per day commercial by-catch for redfish  with the same slot limit as the recreational and very limited season. Commercial Fishermen must have at least 10 fish of other species to be in compliance. Unlawful to possess red drum greater than 27” TL. Unlawful to gig, spear, or gaff red drum. 
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 5,598 Admiral
    surfman said:
    I put the blame for the demise of our wonderful state squarely on Walt Disney!
    I blame air conditioning, 
    theU said:
    ANUMBER1 said:
    spangler said:

Amazing isn't it!

Yes Amazing it is!! The main differences are; high rise excrement factories are not dotted along every shoreline and polluted runoff from Disney World. For the record channel b**** (Red Drum) are the adopted as the official State salt water fish of the State of North Carolina.. There is only is a 10 fish per day commercial by-catch for redfish  with the same slot limit as the recreational and very limited season. Commercial Fishermen must have at least 10 fish of other species to be in compliance. Unlawful to possess red drum greater than 27” TL. Unlawful to gig, spear, or gaff red drum. 
    well, proved my point...
    ANUMBER1 said:
    theU said:
    ANUMBER1 said:
    spangler said:

Amazing isn't it!

well, proved my point...
    Yes and the point is without healthy estuaries there are no viable fish populations period! 
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,540 AG
    Floridians continue to elect crappy politicians that only care about development, growth and jobs. rick scott was horrible as governor and will probably be elected to senate. If you care about the environment, there is no republican you could vote for in good conscious.

Florida Scorecard

133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 10,439 AG
    You are a funny guy.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.