6/29/2018 - Boynton to Jupiter - Trolling & Drifting

Hit BI inlet right at 10:00 AM with calm seas and a lot of 'Yakkers" offshore - In 90 feet', set a 3 rod spread zigzagging to the North. A Planer, a long and short pair of Ballyhoo on Islanders (blue & white and Green &yellow). Got a nice hit just North of LW Pier in 130' on the planer, came unglued.  At 12:30, decided to run offshore and see if we could find Phins...  Found some impressive weedlines with nothing on them. starting in 760' on out to 890.  Could see more east of us, but decided to work a line in 760' which ended off Jupiter inlet 12 miles offshore.  Plenty of flyers everywhere. Other boats (sportys) trolling, nobody catching anything...

After 4 and 1/2 hours, decided to try for Muttons off Jupiter 1n 130', went to our spot with 4 or 5 other boats in the area.  Dead Pilchards for bait. As soon as they hit the water, they were woofed by a large Blue Runner, and a Bonito.  AS USUAL the Bull Sharks were everywhere.  Was able to boat both fish, threw back the Runner.  Put the Bonito on a rope in hopes of attracting a Cobia running with the Sharks... no luck.  Had fun watching the Bull Sharks inhale the Bonito, with the others circling and eating the left overs... what a show!  That happened a couple more times as we never got the fish close to the boat, the sharks were on them like flies on $ hit. Because of the 'Summertimes' we couldn't even get a bait to the bottom to try for a mutton, so decided to move south to LWI.  Got caught in the rain from the Thunderstorms all along the coast. Finally made it back to the Boynton ramp a bit after 6:00 PM after waiting out the rain at LWI.

It was a fun day with great conditions. Wish the fish were hungrier.  Wind was out of the SE, then the West/SW... Water color was great offshore, temps were around 83 degrees.

One more thing. WEEDS WERE EVERYWHERE.  Even in areas where no weed mats were, the scattered weeds were there making it a real chore to keep the lines cleared.  Expect lots of weeds if you go out.  Way offshore, there are large weed mats.  The fish were there, but I think the Moon phase is killing the daytime bite along with the west wind.

Catch'M'Up!

Pura Vida!

Replies

• CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 346 Deckhand
    Excellent report nonetheless...thanks!  :'(

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• flknifemakerflknifemaker Posts: 112 Deckhand
    Thank you for the detailed report 
  • bmoodybmoody Posts: 940 Officer
    The summertimes seem even bigger this year than others.
  • GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 431 Deckhand
    Great report...hope the next trip is more productive
  • JakeDJakeD Jensen beachPosts: 1 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the report
  • justintimejustintime Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    Good report. The shark show is always entertaining but is hard if not impossible to get a fish by them.  try the 1st and second reef for mutton’s 85’ or less.. the mutton’s are there and the sharks aren’t as bad as the deeper reef..
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,457 Officer
    Good report Bill.My finger would be sore if i wrote
     a report that long.
  • TunachaserTunachaser Posts: 158 Deckhand
    Thanks for the report 👍
  • timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 821 Officer
    The Ledge off the Juno pier was thick with Bonita, Blue Runners and Sharks. Couldn't keep a bait in the water long enough to get a king.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
  • LMKLMK Posts: 553 Officer
    Great report, thanks.
  • Pursuit2470wpbPursuit2470wpb Posts: 64 Greenhorn
    Ran out of boynton towards west palm yesterday and today with my wife and found some weed in 500 then more in 700 or so between boynton and palm beach. cleared lines forever while trolling and tried to even actually catch a fish other than that. caught 2 yesterday with the biggest 25" and today same thing just a little shorter on naked ballyhoo. awesome conditions otherwise with calm seas and very little wind. tried to chunk up some on a few patches to break it up but only got a few i threw back to grow some more. great boating weekend.
    ​​​​​​​kevin
  • Dustin BoyntonDustin Boynton Boynton beachPosts: 331 Deckhand
    Great report.  You will get them next time
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,437 Captain
    Good report. The shark show is always entertaining but is hard if not impossible to get a fish by them.  try the 1st and second reef for mutton’s 85’ or less.. the mutton’s are there and the sharks aren’t as bad as the deeper reef..
    Thanks!  I know they've been biting. We ended up getting caught in the rain. Thunderstorms looking gnarly over Jupiter.

Pura Vida!
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,437 Captain
    Good report Bill.My finger would be sore if i wrote
     a report that long.
    :)  Thanks Neal!

Pura Vida!