Tarpon Fishing...........Why did I bother.

Well the Trout and Reds around Lanark are not liking the hot weather, so I said hey, what if I break out the 12 weight and see if I can remember how to do this Tarpon deal. Back in the day (almost 25 years ago) my friend Capt. Gene began to figure out the Tapon deal at Lanark. Boy we had fun back then. The fish were everywhere and we had the place to ourselves.....or so the local folks thought. Fast forward a few years and it's a free for all with 25 guides launching before daylight in a race to the "spot". So I quit Tarpon fishing entirely about 2003. 

Fifteen years later I'm headed to a spot that has room for 2 or even 3 boats if everyone is nice. Only one skiff there when I get there so I slip in behind him and get set up. I'm about 250 feet behind him at this point. I'm not in the flow of fish (he is) but I know that in a couple hours the tide will fall and I should be golden. 

So.....about an hour later the "guide" starts to see that the fish are moving out due to the tide and evidently decides that the solution to this is to see if he can verbally intimidate me out of my spot. First, he says my stupid boat is too big and it's spooking the fish. (his sport has already jumped 2 with tons of shots) Then he says he is going to keep moving towards me and I better not be there when he gets there. I didn't want to move so he yells and screams and rants for a while telling me to go trout fishing before something bad happens to me.  

And.....you know what. I pulled anchor, motored over to him, told him I didn't want to mess up the day for his clients and left. 

Not what I would have done 15 years ago, but I have learned that life is short and fishing is supposed to be fun. While I was boiling mad at the time in the end I just feel sorry for the dude. I have seen him around for years. His boat is a ragged old thing that he evidently never bothers to wash. He had a bad rep back in the day and now many years later just seems mad at the world. 

Sad, just sad. 
It is very difficult to win an argument with an educated man and darn near impossible to win one with an idiot.

Replies

• trout069trout069 Posts: 4,262 Captain
    You should have stayed on your spot and told David magaum ( sounds like him) to go pound sand. Boy is ate up with short boys complex. Yes the weather is screwing making a living for guides , but have some manners 
  • trout069trout069 Posts: 4,262 Captain
    Before I posted above comment, was it a eastcape evo skiff , hell’s bay or maverick?either way you know what you r doing and he was do a come to Jesus talk. 
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 1,989 Captain
    Was it savemyriver? 
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,093 Captain
    Sorry to hear rocky. Some of those fellows think they own the area. Nice of you to be the bigger man. Not sure I could have shown that type of restraint 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,093 Captain
    Pm sent
    You should have been here yesterday
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 1,232 Moderator
    I wonder if he gets any repeat business? He sounds like an idiot.
    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • Spanky DunlapSpanky Dunlap Posts: 649 Officer
    For the record it was not David Magnum. I know him and fished next to him back in the day when he was a newbie who didn't know diddly. (before he became famous)  lol 

I do not want to call the guy out by name.

Ferris the main reason I left was I felt so bad for his two clients who were having to listen to his enraged screaming. He seemed obsessed with male member issues.   

I expect karma will come his way one day. You know what they say about us old guys......wisdom and treachery.  

It is very difficult to win an argument with an educated man and darn near impossible to win one with an idiot.
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 2,929 Captain
    edited June 23 #9
    Very bad behavior indeed!
    Sounds like there are more than one 
    SS. Wipe on the water there.
    an M80 tossed in the water may have helped you a great deal.
    Oh well.
    I hope these future days are much better reports.

God, save the South!
    Should have gone whale wars on him
  • SaveMyRiverSaveMyRiver Posts: 372 Deckhand
    edited June 24 #11
    Have there been any good tarpon reports? With this water temp out of whack a few weeks back,  I don't know what to think. 
  • BayBobBayBob Posts: 689 Officer
    I saw a few rolling but not feeding on Turkey Point early last week and didn't see any of the guide boats hooked up.
    Surface water temp on my machine was 87 in Alligator harbor Thursday when I took the boat to the trailer.
  • eddiejoeeddiejoe Posts: 598 Officer
    Sorry about the jerk. Too many around but you did the right thing. Hope you can find a day and a spot without problems. 
    EJ
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 26,428 AG
    Spanky, you sound like a fellow that understands what is important.  
    Vote for the other candidate
  • cc13cc13 Posts: 485 Deckhand

1)  Plan it so you arrive at your spot around 4-5pm.  The guides are gone.  You get the last 4 hours of daylight to yourself.

2) I learned to reel in when you see and hear a group of tarpon coming. All they are going to do is screw up your rig, break off, and make you have to re-tie.  From 1983 til  now, I have never found a compelling reason to change that approach.

• mastercastermastercaster Posts: 1,259 Officer
    edited June 25 #16
    His boat is a ragged old thing that he evidently never bothers to wash

Sounds like an encounter with Jason Rucker.
  • tailwaterstailwaters Posts: 122 Deckhand
    Sorry to hear that Rocky. We went out to that area Sunday. Only saw a couple boats around which was very surprising.The crowds are the main reason I stopped fishing that area years ago.

His boat is a ragged old thing that he evidently never bothers to wash

Sounds like an encounter with Jason Rucker.

I went to school with that guy back in the day, always got along with him. I'd be disappointed to hear that's who you had a run I with. 
  • bayshorebayshore Posts: 275 Deckhand
    Like Rocky, I was in on the heyday of great tarpon fishing before Location X became so popular. I guided for 15 years and always practiced the Golden Rule. I quit when the get rich mentality became commonplace and produced jerks like this one. Many are unlicensed, uninsured and definitely don't do drug screening as required by the Coast Guard. Sure would be nice for FWC law enforcement or USCG to do random boat checks on for-hire vessels. It would make it easier for the courteous and ethical real guides to make a living and send the others manning the fry bin at the nearest McDonalds where they belong. 

Rocky did the right thing. No arguing with idiots. Besides karma is a beautiful thing. What goes around comes around.  ;)
  • mastercastermastercaster Posts: 1,259 Officer
    edited June 27 #19

I went to school with that guy back in the day, always got along with him. I'd be disappointed to hear that's who you had a run I with. 

I have some disappointing news for you...
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 2,929 Captain
    😂
    God, save the South!
  • 76carman76carman Posts: 261 Deckhand
    The people in and around East Point are good folks in the main, wresting a precarious living that is steadily deteriorating for reasons they cannot control (mostly). The pressure they face inin providing for their families has to be enormous.  Unfortunately, a lot of them seem to have tuned yo recreational pharmaceuticals and/or alcohol to relieve the pressure.  I would wager that not many among them were insured and further, they were living in places they could afford.  Thats not necessarily  a bad thing but I could see the deterioration in the 9 years I lived in Lanark.  I hope they can right the ship before it sinks.
    I hear meth has been a big issue for many as well.  Sad state of affairs but no excuse for that sort of behavior.