3 for 7 tarpon last night

Hey guys.  I haven't been posting nearly as much lately... just been a little busy and with this red tide I definitely wasn't busy catching any tarpon.  Well I had some guys out with me last night and we got on a few.  Still can't get the big ones to cooperate but the juvis were willing and able.  We got into these after trying 4 different spots and 3 different ramps all over the harbor and rivers... once the tide went from slack to incoming they really started to show themselves, and the slick calm water made them easy to sight cast.  Point being that you may have to burn some fuel to find them, but they're around still.

-Mag

This first pic is Kevin's first tarpon that he has landed, after jumping several last year... this one ate a silver baitbuster.  Check out that smile.  He was grinning ear to ear all night after that fish.  :smiley:

Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,796 Admiral
    Nice fish!  
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Bottom KnockerBottom Knocker PUNTA GORDAPosts: 28 Greenhorn
    Something about baitbusters... Light one or heavy one?

Mike
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,741 Captain
    Something about baitbusters... Light one or heavy one?

Mike
    Heavy... always the heavy.  :)
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,425 AG
    edited June 30 #5
    The heavy ones are called the "Trolling Model" -- the hook is also heavier gauge -- and I agree with Keith on his response:  Always heavy.

That said, here's a little trick if you're having trouble feeding tarpon right near the surface because the trolling model sinks too fast:  Carefully back out the hook on a trolling model and shave it with a knife, then replace the hook.  Now you have a shallower running lure yet with a heavier hook that is very effective at shallow fish.  I like to reduce the weight by between 1/3 and 1/2, but YMMV.

Good luck...Mike
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,741 Captain
    Great tip Mike!
  • WadeFishermanWadeFisherman Posts: 389 Deckhand
    Three ramps, way to work hard for your clients. Yes, the happiness in his smiles make the whole night worth it. Great job.
  • MikelleenMikelleen Posts: 60 Greenhorn
    Nice! Will be booking a trip with Keith for sure.
    Good tip on the bait buster too.