Dolphin 2-Marlinman 0

As the title would suggest, I've been skunked on my last two trips with the latest yesterday out of SI. With calm seas the plan was to run between 120-250' where the cooler water was indicated on FishTrack. Got to 80' and there were weed lines and mats like ya read about. Didn't want to start the troll that shallow so pitched a ducktail at some large mats, but no takers. Headed east and when I got to 100' I couldn't take it anymore because the weed lines were thick. Trolled all morning and into the afternoon, covering four columns of water with chugger, shallow jet head, deep diver plug (hopeful hoo) and a skirted ballyhoo behind a deep planer...nothing but a bar jack same size as the chugger. I know it's fishing, but this is supposed to be the time for hot bites. Seas were 1-2' so I could've run way offshore but the water got warmer all the way to 750' (82-84.4 degrees where I was). Anyone else having tough go with the phins? chatted with a guy that ran 80 mi with nothing and another on the forum that ran to 120 mi buoy with nothing as well. In the words of my favorite beloved coach..."Dadgum, dadgum!"

Replies

• Kapt.HookKapt.Hook Posts: 429 Deckhand
    I promise you it’s not the “time for a hot bite” out of SI trolling for mahi that was 2 months ago during the spring run. The summer time weed lines are think but not very productive. I normally won’t stop unless I see birds working thenweed lines. 
    IMG_1519.jpg
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 18,573 AG
    Hook is right... Mahi is mid April to the end of May generally... 

You should have trolled the offshore bar for kingfish. 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • MarlinmanMarlinman Posts: 31 Greenhorn
    Thanks fellas, as my thought on the bite was (and I hate doing this because it comes back to get ya) an assumption of relating Keys offshore bite to SI offshore this time of year. My bait guy has been talking about the king bite as well and I hoped to pull some baits the other day on my way back in but that big storm forced me inside early. Hoping I'm on track pulling baits in the 40-60' range. Laura and I were anchored up in 25' and watched a boat slow trolling catch one in ~35', and thought that was pretty neat.
  • LONGSHOT25LONGSHOT25 Posts: 81 Greenhorn
    We went out of S.I. Saturday 6-23.  Missed 2 knockdowns in 80 and 150ft.big Bonita in 120ft. 3 cudas between 120 and 180ft. trolled back in to 75ft on the way home and picked up 1schoolie dolphin. weeds everywhere between 120 and 150. 79-80 degree water most of the day. Hook and duckman are right. End of June the troll is tough. April /May is primetime.
  • Nickt09Nickt09 Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    We've been striking out the last several trips. Makes sense why now, we started fishing after April. To add insult to injury, when I got my new boat, all my way points from previous boat saved corrupted and won't import in to new. I lost all my bottom spots. The computer I backed it up on is at my parents house and they replaced it without double checking with me. I cry myself to sleep every night. 
  • Kev807Kev807 Posts: 44 Greenhorn
    Went out the portyesterday and didnt find clean water till over 250 got a schoolie in 1200 but only phin we seen all day
  • reeladdictionreeladdiction Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    Slow, Slow out of ponce yesterday, found some phins 50mi. out on the "cleanest" weed line we could find. Only put one on ice as first knockdown brought a school of undersized phins along with it, so they all  had to go back to grow up. Lost two other decent fish after a few ariel displays on the same line. One spit the hook, the other broke a 80lb. wire leader. I'm guessing it had a kink of something. 
    AJ spot was bleek as well.
    Beautiful day for a cruise on the water  with little to show :'(

• Rich MRich M Posts: 961 Officer
    Pretty much once the water gets calm for the summer, the mahi are gone.  
    There is a bunch of cold water now out of Sebastian.... not good for fishing. 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • hammerhead911hammerhead911 Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    Do yo know how close in the cold water is now? Sunday I was on the 90-100 ledge outta SI. The weights and baits weren’t coming up cold. 
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 587 Officer
    I like to think the pelagics like mahi wahoo sails cobia and tuna dont bite better in the winter/spring, but knowing that they want 72* or warmer water you can rule out all the area up until the stream, in Jacksonville that rules out about 50 miles of water! Then once you find that break you can really start to zone in......so I think they are here year round but in the summer they can be from 5-100 miles out and makes it really hard to zero in on them day to day.

we need more internet money
    Do yo know how close in the cold water is now? Sunday I was on the 90-100 ledge outta SI. The weights and baits weren’t coming up cold. 
    From the beach out to 90 ft...74 degrees
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • hammerhead911hammerhead911 Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    Thank you, duckman. 74 isn’t bad.  Was hoping you weren’t gonna say a bad thermocline moved and the water was in the 50’s or 60’s. I’m sure that water will show up just in time for mini season like it usually does. I’ll give it a go this weekend. 
    Yes, The real thermocline seems to always hit with Mini season... 
    Hopefully this is just a cool eddy that will pass quickly. 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled