Florida Reef Restoration Co-operative!!! ??!

spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 485 Deckhand
edited June 25 in Conservation Front #1
I attended the most recent fwc commissioner meeting last week.  On the second day, a presentation was given about Florida's reef system.  I had no idea about the disease that has popped up.  It's alarming.

I have kept aquariums my whole life.  I maintained them professionally for a few years and kept some pretty sophisticated reef tanks.  I still have friends entrenched in the hobby personally and professionally.

So during the presentation, it got me to thinking.  Why don't we set up a system that would allow hobbyist and/or educational institutions, through permitting and an inspection process, to grow out staghorn and elkhorn (or whatever else) that can be used to restock the reefs? 

I would imagine there would be quite a few hobbyist interested and they already are growing out myriads of species.  I'd do it!  How cool would it be to go dive a reef that you helped restore with coral YOU grew out?!

Also, I'd bet there would be many schools that would have a teacher interested in starting a program at the school.  Which would be great for education and outreach.

I was hoping I might get some feedback here before I get further engaged with staff.  Maybe this is far fetched, but even the agencies know they are limited severely by resources.  Gotta start thinking outside the box!

Replies

• pjepje Orlando , FlPosts: 515 Officer
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 485 Deckhand
    For the love of.. I know there are existing organizations for crying out loud.  What is it with people on here?!

I've actually spoke with representatives of these orgs fwiw.  THEY understand they can't do it by themselves.  Wake up people.
  • Tom HiltonTom Hilton Posts: 1,572 Captain
    People can make a difference if they get off their butts and put their mind, effort, and $$ into it.
    kudos for stepping up Spangler!
    spangler said:
    For the love of.. I know there are existing organizations for crying out loud.  What is it with people on here?!

I've actually spoke with representatives of these orgs fwiw.  THEY understand they can't do it by themselves.  Wake up people.
    What are you implying ? Do you have a problem ?
    What is it with people on here ?!   It's actually people like you that make people not want to post on here . Someone tries to help , and you get a crappy attitude about it . What a way to drum up some support lol
    No implications.  It's pretty clear.  This forum is consistently barraged by people pimping their product, click bait, spammers, bots, trolls.  Beneficial dialogue is constantly impeded or outright derailed by it.  Ad infinitum of divergent, intertwining threads.  Lot's of good info on here, spoiled by the need of some to satisfy their own egos.

No one asked what organizations are restoring reefs...

What is sad is people's inability to stay on topic and no one around here to moderate it.  Without it, you get garbage.  Thanks for adding to the pile.

My only problem, is everyone's problem.  Wake up!
    edited June 26 #10
    So, back to the op.....

The issues, considering that we are talking about a protected species, would be one of process and permitting.  I think the challenge for hobbyist would be that: the regulations would probably specify monocultures be maintained.  May not be too many hobbyist able or interested enough to do that?

For educators, obviously, there would likely have to be some type of funding created.  Maybe not though, I think you could get a workable setup going for a relatively small budget.  Maybe utilizing existing resources.