Repowering Action Craft 1890

dholleydholley Posts: 91 Greenhorn
I bought my 99 Action Craft 1890 three years ago with a 2.6 Vmax HPDI. Motor ran great for the first year. Blew a head gasket in the number one cylinder after 100 hours of ownership. Also had to have the high pressure pump rebuilt after getting water in the fuel. Total cost was $1700. After another 150 hours the same cylinder ate a ring. Had to have the cylinder honed and replaced the piston and ring at a cost of $1000. 40 hours later another head gasket.

Each failure has been catastrophic with no warning. Cooling system checks out fine and no overheat alarms, although I know it works.

Finally decided to bite the bullet and repower. 5 years of warranty sounds really nice. Decided to stick with Yamaha and keep my existing controls. Got a dozen quotes and went with Mike at Mobile Marine Express here in Jacksonville. Going with the Yamaha 200 Vmax SHO. Should be here in a few weeks. Can't wait to get back on the water!

Replies

• dholleydholley Posts: 91 Greenhorn
    Just wanted to update. Boat should be ready for pickup sometime tomorrow. Looking forward to breaking it in over the weekend. Will post pictures and performance numbers once I get some hours on it.
    Got 4 hours of break in done this weekend. I can't believe how much torque this thing has, 0 to 40 is effortless. Made a few passes at 5800 rpms. Boat topped out at 62 and change. Still have some more break in and prop testing, but very pleased so far.
  • DanOmiteDanOmite Posts: 119 Deckhand
    very nice!

That thing is going to be a rocket ship once she breaks in.....
  • Bite N HoldBite N Hold Posts: 1,328 Officer
    Wow that is impressive!! I just picked up a 2020 with the Vmax HPDI 200. Not impressed with my speed. Only see 49. Thought I would be mid 50's. When this blows up maybe I'll end up with a 250.
    FOR SALE-Old Homosassa Vacation Rental
    http://www.vrbo.com/105186

"No matter the size of the fish, you can only put a bite size peice in your mouth."
  • Alan1631Alan1631 Posts: 10 Greenhorn

Dholley,
    What prop are you running? I have the 175 SHO on my 1890 and looking for a comparison.

@Alan1631 said:
    Dholley,
    What prop are you running? I have the 175 SHO on my 1890 and looking for a comparison.

Alan - I'm running a 23 Tempest. Have also tried a 23 Yamaha Vmax T-1, and a 23 Turbo TXP 4 blade. Tempest has been the best so far.

If I were you, I would try to find a 21 Tempest.

• Alan1631Alan1631 Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Dholley,
    Sorry for the late reply.  Can you give me more specifics on the 23 tempest prop.  I have looked around and there are a lot of variants.  What is the exact model number?
    Thanks.
    Alan,
    The 23 is going to be too much prop for you to turn. I would look for a Mercury 21 Tempest Plus.
    Like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercury-Tempest-Plus-Propeller/332693047772?hash=item4d760d09dc:g:F40AAOSwNkBbKtcH

You can also test props with Ken Reeves at Prop Gods. He charges $30 plus shipping. Definitely worthwhile if you don't know where to start.
    https://propgods.com/