Flies for the surf part 3!!

BigVernBigVern Posts: 127 Deckhand
Hi folks, feedback appreciated. I might have gone a little too big. The black one is about 3inches, so the white one resembles a small bird!! They do have a slim profile in the water!

Tight lines

Vern.

Replies

• limitlesslimitless Posts: 534 Officer
    Those will work great on the beach.  The white bait you'll be competing with is 3" to 6" so your "bird" will imitate very well.  Clouser's with a blue or green back accent and shrimp patterns.  Have a great trip and post up pics of you Snook.
    Support the Snook & Gamefish Foundation
    http://sgf.gamefishcloud.com/

Angler Action Program: IAngler app trip log on your phone
  • BigVernBigVern Posts: 127 Deckhand
    Thanks for the feedback limitless. Will post plenty of reports when I get there! Less than 7 weeks now!!

Tight lines

Vern
  • sunflowersunflower Posts: 433 Deckhand
    I think saltwater flies more-often than not are over-tied, and over-materialled.
    Sparse is good.
    I saw Enrico Pugliesi at a fly-tying seminar once.
    Of course, he was using artificial materials of his own design.
    When selecting material, he said "get as much as you need, then take about half of that."
    Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

Hi Mark, I think I got a little carried away! I did want the white fly patterns to be a little smaller. Round 2 I will try and get them a little more sparse! I will definitely give them a swim! Perhaps you can answer my question about ray shoals. Last year I saw several from the beach. Will there be any other predatory fish swimming with them worth targeting? I am pretty sure they were cownose rays.

Thanks again!

Tight lines

Vern
    I have never heard of anyone targeting rays on the beach, hoping for predators with them. Obviously, that is exactly what people do looking for permit on the flats, and cobia in deeper waters. People often throw at schools of mullet, looking for redfish mixed in.

The only fish I can think of that might follow rays would be jacks, and maybe redfish in certain seasons ... so I guess I'd give it a cast. It doesn't sound like something other "attractive species" a snook, pompano, flounder, ladyfish, or Spanish would do.
    Mark

Hi Mark,
     thanks for your feedback. In my mind the rays should attract something to swim with them, jacks or other fast swimming species. If I see them I will have a cast or two.

I am not sure the area you are fishing, but is red tide an issue in the Tampa/Sarasota area?

Thanks again.

Vern
    edited June 20 #8
    I fish off the beach in Venice for tarpon.
    The red tide is ruining the season.
    I have friends who fish with bait, and usually catch 20 - 25 tarpon per year each. This year in probably 60 days between them they have caught one so far. 
    I haven't caught one on fly. I usually get 2 or 3 in 20 days trying.
    I do have a friend who fishes with bait closer to Sarasota, in Big Pass, he still seems to be catching.
    I hope things turn around. I saw zero tarpon this morning, or on my last 2 days looking. Normally I see dozens of groups.
    Mark

Hi Mark.

Sorry to hear the red tide is causing problems. I will be flying over in just under 6 weeks now. Fingers crossed the conditions are soon clear for you all and stay so until August!

Tight lines

Vern.