Home Boating

Any tips for changing a throttle/shift cable set?

Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,801 AG
2S merc 90.    They are so stiff they cracked the plastic slide that connects them to the throttle controls on the motor so i have to replace that as well.   35 for the cables, 25 for the slide.   Looks pretty basic pull cables out thread new cables through.  But like anything I've never done I welcome any advice from people who have done it before.   

TIA
People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.

Replies

• shamrock1188shamrock1188 Posts: 272 Deckhand
    Tie a 1/4" rope to your old cables when you pull them out. Take your old cable with you when you get the new one to make sure you get the right size and type. Tie and tape the 1/4" rope to your new cables and pull them though. Good luck.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,801 AG
    Thanks!   That's the plan!   20 year old cables so didn't even consider greasing or trying to grease, for 40 bucks just replace and move on.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,801 AG
    pulled cowling, checked cables, noticed on the shift cable the slide was broken that attaches to the shift arm.   Ordered a new one, put it on last night, everything works fine.   Thinking that was my problem.  Had to remove the lower cowling, which was fun.  But all good now. 
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,423 Officer
    Getting the control box out and apart is the most problem IMO.