Penn International II 12T Line Recommendation

altj723altj723 GainesvillePosts: 1 Greenhorn
I've come across two Penn International II 12T's that I'll cleaning up to use for trolling for mahi, blackfin, and the lucky sail in Marathon this summer. I can't seem to find much info on these reels online. I'd like to spool them with 30 lb diamond hi catch mono and call it a day but I'm concerned they're a bit too small for line of that size. They're already paired with 20-40# class rods. Anyone have experience with these and know their capacity? They look to be very close if not slightly smaller than an TLD 20 which should hold ~450 yds of 30 lb mono. Thanks.

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,220 Moderator
    20 or 30 Hi Catch will be fine
  • tijeretatijereta Posts: 211 Deckhand
    Those are great reels!
    I have a Penn International II 16S spooled with 20# mono.( approx. 700 yds. ) I have been using this set up for over 15 years with good success . Your 12's are just a little smaller.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,811 Captain
    If your worried about capacity, back them with a few hundred yards of braid but I think you will be fine without it.You can even put 25# test mono unless you want to fish a specific line class. The 25# would probably break at 30 or above anyway.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• bmoodybmoody Posts: 940 Officer
    Diamond is great line.  Don't forget it over tests.  Diamond rated at 20# tests at about 30# -- just spool up with that and go have a good time.
    I did some actual testing on a line tester with Diamond,  I tied bimini's on each end of the line, 7 test lines per stated breaking strength and broke them on the tester.  I threw out the high and low numbers and averaged the remaining 5.  20# clear tested at 28.58.  I did the same tests with Hi Catch Smoke Blue - 20# tested at 22.333.  If you are interested, 30# Diamond tested at 40.8333 and 30# Hi Catch tested at 34.00
  • tijeretatijereta Posts: 211 Deckhand
    Good stuff JH !
    Curious, where did they break, at the knot or the line itself ?
    Line.  If they broke at the knot, I threw out that break and re-did the test.  All data is from line breaks.  I tied a lot of bimini's that day :)

• GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 431 Deckhand
    I did some actual testing on a line tester with Diamond,  I tied bimini's on each end of the line, 7 test lines per stated breaking strength and broke them on the tester.  I threw out the high and low numbers and averaged the remaining 5.  20# clear tested at 28.58.  I did the same tests with Hi Catch Smoke Blue - 20# tested at 22.333.  If you are interested, 30# Diamond tested at 40.8333 and 30# Hi Catch tested at 34.00
    Very interesting....I'm going to look into using the diamond #30 next time I respool
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 556 Officer
    Spool 500 yards of 50 and from one to the other you'll lose 50.
    Correct me if I'm wrong.

I was able to tell the difference in strength and diameter.
    I do prefer the diamond over the standard. That’s just me.
    I can only speak for myself. I’m just another fair on the boat.

Another good quality line that I find to be true to it’s ratings is Suffix. ;)
    We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.