Home General Fishing

Trolling motor "anchor" or spot lock

Circle-HookCircle-Hook Posts: 503 Officer

Which ones you like? Which are simple (like me)?  Boat is 23' Mako CC  - 2400 lbs dry weight. Anybody got a used one for sale?

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,629 Captain
    In the last few years I've been lucky enough to work on a few bay boats equipped with 36volt Minn Kotas  (new or nearly new Pathfinders, one big Yellowfin, and a bigger Egret)  with an anchor function... They were first rate - and eventually I'll be adding a 24volt one to my old work skiff.  I haven't had a trolling motor on my skiff in many years but these new motors are pretty darned good.  I particularly like the spot lock function when fishing the many drains into the Shark river area since they greatly simplify stopping to fish a spot without a lot of hassle in a current.....  Just make sure you get enough power for that big Mako... pretty sure you'll be needing 36volts (and the three batteries that requires...)

My old Maverick is only a 17' poling skiff - my last troller was only a 12volt model - and that was more than 15 years ago.  If and when I go back to using them (instead of just poling all day long, the way I have for years...) I'll add the two batteries and go with 24volts....

If you do it right - you'll also be needing an on-board charging system as well... I'll be using a pro if I ever go that route since it's a bit beyond my simple wiring skills (and on-board chargers need to be working just right since otherwise they're a fire hazard....).  I know of two skiffs that were burned to the ground because of older, malfunctioning charging systems a few years back...  My skiff is garage kept so having a properly functioning unit is pretty important...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 889 Officer
      In addition to the Spot Lock,the new Stow N Deploy is 
    super nice as one gets up in age.That jumping up and down
    from front platform,the legs and knees could no longer take
    that abuse.
        Also the new SpotLock is dead on,no more 
    wandering around in 10ft.radius.
  • BTVengeanceBTVengeance SCPosts: 33 Greenhorn
    I have a 2017 24V Minn Kota Riptide Terrova on my flats boat and could not be happier with it, stow and deploy is a real plus and Spot-Lock holds steady.  Best price I found at that time was online at Sportsman’s Guide.

Based on my experience  I would definitely suggest the 36V version for adequate thrust on your boat.

Before buying I visited with a long time local trolling motor repair guy and he felt like that was the best choice but one thing he did tell me was not to buy the Ulterra which has the auto stow/deploy as it tends to have far more failures than the simpler Terrovas.

I don’t have much experience with the modern Motor Guides.

Hope this is helpful for you.
    10kman said:
      In addition to the Spot Lock,the new Stow N Deploy is 
    super nice as one gets up in age.That jumping up and down
    from front platform,the legs and knees could no longer take
    that abuse.
        Also the new SpotLock is dead on,no more 
    wandering around in 10ft.radius.

I have a 2017 24V Minn Kota Riptide Terrova on my flats boat and could not be happier with it, stow and deploy is a real plus and Spot-Lock holds steady.

Based on my experience  I would definitely suggest the 36V version for adequate thrust on your boat.

Before buying I visited with a long time local trolling motor repair guy and he felt like that was the best choice but one thing he did tell me was not to buy the Ulterra which has the auto stow/deploy as it tends to have far more failures than the simpler Terrovas.  

Note the auto deploy issues I mentioned were concerning 2016 and early 2017 models and the problem may have since been resolved,   10kman has first hand experience with them and his point about us older folks is certainly valid.

I don’t have much experience with the modern Motor Guides.

Hope this is helpful for you.
    Excuse me for double posting but I thought I was editing my first post to update the auto deploy info.

Just a rookie here and guess you can’t just edit.........
    I've been quite frustrated with not being able to edit my posts as well --- moderator take note...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,874 Moderator
    edited May 2018 #8
    Well all my fishing is offshore ,my boat has high sides and 36 inch top of bow to water.  So i needed a 72 inch shaft.
     After a lot of though i went with a RHODAN  for the anchor mode. It it works as advertised as we look for a show or ledge  then hit the FOB anchor mode, momentum of boat takes us past the coordinates that we locket onto. We shut the main motor off  The RHODAN will circle around facing into waves or current which ever is strongest, it will hold us there dead on. We can change  position in 5FT. increments.  This all works great in 2 to 4 ft. seas if there is not a short period between  white capeing waves. I have at their recommendation   24 volt system  and two group 27 batteries.  So far it has been good.  Deploy and retrieve would have been nice ,I needed the longer shaft and they have up to a  84 inch at RHODAN  check out  UTUBE they have one on a 34 ft cat. 
  • gmiller0737gmiller0737 Posts: 664 Officer
    I have the Motorguide Saltwater Xi5 on My Key West 1720 So Far it's been Great 
    and for those who are a bit put off by the various maneuvers your spot or anchor lock puts your boat through after you turn it on... simply use you regular motor to turn the skiff into the current (or wind - whichever is strongest) - before you turn on your anchor function on your troller - then it won't do much hunting at all before stopping you where you want it to hold....

At least that's how I was able to get them to work well on the various bayboats I was running at the time...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 881 Officer

Rhodan is a simple design that I believe is better built than the “big two”. It is manual deploy so you don’t have to worry about a mechanical breakdown with that. They are made in Florida so you are helping your state economy. I highly recommend calling and chatting with them. Their spot lock is so simple - one touch of a button. If you want to jog forward, back, right or left while locked on a spot, that is one quick press of a button to move you 3’.

I like to poll around when I have another person on my skiff but I have not found a way to effectively fish by myself when polling. I tried to be a purist of having an uncluttered small flats boat, but I was just wasting too much water time by not being able to fish effectively. I’ve had one on my flats boat for two years (24 volt) and I am completely satisfied with it. Look into the details of Rhodan’s electronics and mechanical construction and you will not find a more heavy duty unit.

If you are not going to use it for a while and you don’t have your batteries on a charger, unplug the unit because it does draw a small current at all times. I ran my power cable through the deck and installed a threaded marine thru-hull fitting very similar to a fuel fill cap. I bought a tapered rubber stopper and drilled a hole in the center of it, ran the power cable through the hole and set the stopper in the thru-hull when I have the cable routed to the power source for a water tight seal.

• snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,272 Officer

Instead of unplugging my trolling motor I installed a battery switch to disconnect the batteries, and I disconnect
    while charging.Sierra Battery Switch Off-On
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,874 Moderator
    I've been quite frustrated with not being able to edit my posts as well --- moderator take note...
    Sorry your having a problem , You should be able to click on the gear icon next to your image. Then click EDIT, make the changes then save. Hope this helps
    Thanks very much -this might be an item to tell everyone about...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • BinderBinder Posts: 3,995 Captain
    I have a minn Kota 24v 80# thrust on my 22' pathfinder and it consistently holds on my marks offshore with ease.

I'll never not have a trolling motor without spot lock again.

These fish were caught the past 2 trips, 10-12 miles out, using spot lock.

• Geno67Geno67 Posts: 148 Deckhand
    I have the Motorguide Saltwater Xi5 on a McKee Craft 1800. It works great.

• grey2112grey2112 Posts: 366 Deckhand

Used to have the older MK first gen SpotLock trolling motor on a Key West Bayreef 19 footer and it worked good, but had that "10 foot" radius issue which was annoying, but it was a solid performing unit and I liked the incremental movement buttons.

Now have an Xi5 MG on a Key West 1720.  Quiet, powerful, the GPS spot lock works great and really keeps you on spot.  However, I had an issue with the motor recently - one of the bolts that keeps the main head onto the unit must have corroded or snapped which allowed salt water into the entire unit.  Luckily I was able to replace the bolts, O-rings (the main one was toast) and using a lot of Corrosion X was able to clean up and take care of the stator, magnets, etc. and it is now working like new again.  I highly recommend everyone to do a yearly inspection, maintenance/lube on these units and replace O-rings - cheap insurance.

If I had to do it all over again I'd have saved the money up for a Rhodan - I hear nothing but great things about them, they are the most powerful and well-designed units on the market, and their customer service is second to none.

• ArsinekArsinek Posts: 64 Greenhorn
    I went fishing yesterday, inshore, used artificial all day, got skunked but I did have lots of bites and one fish that got off the line. Probably all small fish or they would have got hooked. Anyway, I was really getting annoyed with my manual style trolling motor while trying to work artificial baits.

It goes like this...
    1. Steer into position where I want to cast
    2. Cast
    3. Reel in a little
    4. Correct position on trolling motor
    5. Finish working bait
    6. Reposition trolling motor for another cast

Its like this because of wind and tide current. I'm in northeast Florida, the inshore fishing is in the intercoastal and its creeks, the water moves a lot and there is always wind. Its a constant battle with the trolling motor to try to be in position. Im over it for right now. Just going to fish live bait for awhile. At the end of the day I decided Id wait until I get a spot lock trolling motor before really using artificial again.
  • GrimmSpeedGrimmSpeed Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    edited June 2018 #19
    I went through this process this past winter for our Grady White 226. Went with the Minnkota ulterra 36v 72" shaft and it works like a charm. SOOO much easier than anchoring, re-anchoring, etc. I too was worried about the weight of our boat ~4500lbs but it does just fine.