Cocoa beach

spinnerbaytspinnerbayt Posts: 5 Greenhorn
I'll be in Cocoa beach for vacation June 11-18 and was just wondering about some good wading areas.  I may have access to a kayak also.  I've looked and looked at Google Earth but figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Replies

• andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 633 Officer
    spinner, I grew up in the area and unfortunately the areas around cocoa beach have been hit hard by the poor water quality. You may be able to catch some fish around the deeper mangrove islands around the canals on the north side of minuteman causeway, but the flats had little grass or life last time i was there.

You may have better luck going off the beach, you could try throwing lures off the shore for snook, or if calm launch the yak and look for bait pods and rolling tarpon.

hopefully others will chime in but man it has been like a septic tank as of past two years.
    we need more internet money
  • spinnerbaytspinnerbayt Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the info.  I'll definitely be hitting the beach to see what I can catch.  I stayed at the same place this past thanksgiving and caught some trout, redfish and a nice black drum from the Banana river.  I've been following the water quality issues and hope they get resolved in the future.  I'd still like to hear from anyone that can add to this.  I'd like to cross a few new species off the caught list.
    Thanks for the info.  I'll definitely be hitting the beach to see what I can catch.  I stayed at the same place this past thanksgiving and caught some trout, redfish and a nice black drum from the Banana river.  I've been following the water quality issues and hope they get resolved in the future.  I'd still like to hear from anyone that can add to this.  I'd like to cross a few new species off the caught list.
    A buddy of mine has been doing good getting up early and driving south on A1A and looking down the beach for bait pods, birds bait flipping(binoculars help) and going down and making some casts to the pods. You can tell within about 10 mins if there are fish actively feeding or not. This is important as there are SOO many and not all will be getting torn up.

Seems like south Melborne to Seb pods will have more snook.
    I might give the A1A idea a try, I'd love to get a nice snook.  
    Got here yesterday.  Banana River looks terrible, its really brown.  Fished the surf for about an hour this morning but didn't do much good.  All I had was some frozen squid.  Picked up some frozen shrimp and my boy was having fun catching catfish and whiting from the Banana.  That's about all I can report for now.
  • sandy1147sandy1147 Posts: 146 Deckhand
    Yeah, the daily thunderstorms have the water up and down the East coast looking like Coca Cola. If you happen to find any clear water, fish it. Hard to come by though. 
    try to catch some whiting or croaker in the surf and throw back out in the trough for a monster snook, they are def out there and prefer uncrowded beaches with clean water.
    I'm back home and back at work this morning.  Didn't catch any snook but did manage some good trout from the Banana.  Also drove down to Sebastian inlet one morning and fished till noon.  Caught a nurse shark that I'm guessing was around 150 pounds. Didn't get a photo as I couldn't get it to a good place to do so with all the rocks lining the inlet.  I also caught some other types of fish that were new to me but I'm not sure what they were.  Still need to figure that out. 
  • mikenavmikenav Posts: 699 Officer
    I know you're already there and probably have a decent idea of what's around, but take aloe at this map and see if there are some others areas you can explore.
    https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#[email protected]&key=gwd|FvpfqN

Good luck!
  • DellaysDellays Unated StatesPosts: 5 Greenhorn
    It is really good beach
  • Belfast BillBelfast Bill Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    Hi all going to be there Last week in December first week in January, what can I expect from the Banana river or the Surf, Staying 3-5 miles south of  Cocoa Beach pier. Any advice much appreciated as it's a long journey from Ireland which doesn't leave much time for research.

Regards,
                Bill.
  • saltyreefersaltyreefer Posts: 165 Deckhand
    It sorta depends on how you plan to fish. Let bait live/dead sit on the bottom, live bait light weight or no weight, casting plugs? Different success rates each way for different species. I would also ask the local tackle shops. They will also know the local forecast and should steer you toward the right direction. 
    i would go to robs 76 dive center and ask what is running, jetty park is good for macks blues flounder and sheeps. the ajacent surf could hold the same plus better shot at pompano
  • Belfast BillBelfast Bill Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    Thanks  all.